:)

gina_b

Les Mills Fitness Freak
not really sure what topic to have this as....

but a question to you zumba lovers. even better if anyone in the medical proffesion comes on this thread.

my work mate had a stroke, she has found zumba helps her loosen up (she does it once a week), when she dosent do it she feels like shes seizing up a little. now at work they have made her change her hours becuase they think that if she can do zumba then she can work full time again. she now only has a zumba class after work she can do, before it was a morning class. after shes finished work ive noticed shes worn out, exhausted and physically drained, no state to exercise after it. worse still, the class they have said she can do is on at 8pm, and is not within walking distance for her. shes ok in the mornings, but its work that tires her out.
sure she dosent find it easy doing the class, but if it helps her medically why is there a problem?
she mentioned to the boss that shes going to get a dorctors note for it, this made the boss try and pursuade her not too, and then they rtreid to make her feel better, this to me means they are scared of being proved wrong here, a doctor will agree with her case and they know it

my question is do you agree with what shes been made to do? :)

edit: she was told when she came back to work she could pick her own hours, and she chose to take a day off that had zumba. work was ok with this until they found out.

Last edited:
oh dear, not good at all. poor friend. i would say a visit to the docs is a good thing. also i would recommend that she find a gold class as these are special classes for older participants, deconditioned participants, disabled participants etc...... meaning that they're not as fast and focus more on warming up and cooling down with specific stretches and moves made to loosen you up. they're more carefully designed. my mum has had 5 strokes and her balance has been affected through them. it's a hard thing to happen and i saw each time how much it affected her and how tired she got through them. she used to plan everything for the morning as by dinner time she was shattered and needed a rest. i'm surprised that work has wanted her back full time. did they do a back to work thing where she went back for a few hours and it slowly increased over a period of months?

I'd say defiantly go to her Dr!!

If she finds it helps her why on earth would they want to stop her going?? It stands to reason she's going to be tiered after work and doing a Zumba workout when your tiered is hard if your in good health..
Surely it will benefit your employer if her health improves through doing Zumba!!

Hope she can sort this out in her favor :)

oh dear, not good at all. poor friend. i would say a visit to the docs is a good thing. also i would recommend that she find a gold class as these are special classes for older participants, deconditioned participants, disabled participants etc...... meaning that they're not as fast and focus more on warming up and cooling down with specific stretches and moves made to loosen you up. they're more carefully designed. my mum has had 5 strokes and her balance has been affected through them. it's a hard thing to happen and i saw each time how much it affected her and how tired she got through them. she used to plan everything for the morning as by dinner time she was shattered and needed a rest. i'm surprised that work has wanted her back full time. did they do a back to work thing where she went back for a few hours and it slowly increased over a period of months?

all my work place care about is getting the job done.

she was pressured into going back to work 4 full days a week straight away.

they are trying to get her back to full time already, only another full day but shes tired out! the management are terrible

ive already reccomended she dosent try anything too hard, like body attack (she was looking at that one). theres an aerobics one but its on really early!

no one at my work likes the managers, for good reason. they dont care about their staff. if anyone rings in sick, they will say "are you coming in tommorow?" like thats the only thing they care about.....

i think the doc might be shocked at what they're trying to do. she doesn't want another stroke and now needs to start thinking about her and her priorities.

thats probably why the boss looked so scared when she said she'd go to the doctors about it....

i know that functionality wise my mum took 6 months after her first stroke to recover. it affected her balance and speak. she had to go to speech therapy. the other 4 were smaller strokes but still affected her in that she needed 6 months off to recover and lost a little bit of 'something' each time.

julies wasnt a bad stroke, but doctors were puzzled why as shes healthy, she walks everywhere, she eats healthy, she drinks plenty of water.

Back