25 stone to 19 stone in 8 months.

It's just water weight, hon. When you eat that sort of stuff you will get water retention for a day or so, but it soon goes. As you rightly say, you can't have gained anything in reality because you've eaten below your TDEE. The best advice I can give you is to steer well clear of the scales!! When I was at the stage if weight loss you're at, I only got weighed about every two months, by my GP, and that was brilliant because I always knew it would be a loss, whereas weighing every day is not only demotivating but entirely meaningless due to the natural fluctuations we all experience. I wouldn't start trying to second guess the process by cutting out certain foods, just carry on as you have been doing, but don't weigh more than weekly. :) xx

Tracey you're so right. If you're sticking to your limits most days, then your body will respond Helelna, so keep going Hun and you will make progress xxxxx

don't weigh more than weekly. :) xx

Thank you all three ladies for the reassurance. I am going to make darned sure that I don't go over 1600 today, though!

Two years ago I owned a digital scale that had cost me £35. Because I became a slave to the scale, one morning in tears I literally placed it on the pavement outside my house, and someone "stole" it. So I was without scales for two years, I could only weigh at the swimming pool. Then 8 months ago they removed all the scales from the pool, gym and everywhere else. There is nowhere for me to get weighed.

When I started this new attempt to lose weight, everyone around me said, "but you MUST have your own scale! How will you know if you are losing?" I protested that I would get obsessed again, and didn't want to own another scale - ever! But they went on, and I buckled. So I paid £25 for a new scale, which arrived on 11th August.

Hence, I am using it daily! And again I am letting it dictate my mood. I know I am wrong ~ that is why I threw away the first scales. Hmph!

I know the temptation to weigh too often, I really do, having done it myself in the past. But it really is one of the most demotivating things you can do - as you say, it just dictates your mood. :) xx

Thank you all three ladies for the reassurance. I am going to make darned sure that I don't go over 1600 today, though!

Two years ago I owned a digital scale that had cost me £35. Because I became a slave to the scale, one morning in tears I literally placed it on the pavement outside my house, and someone "stole" it. So I was without scales for two years, I could only weigh at the swimming pool. Then 8 months ago they removed all the scales from the pool, gym and everywhere else. There is nowhere for me to get weighed.

When I started this new attempt to lose weight, everyone around me said, "but you MUST have your own scale! How will you know if you are losing?" I protested that I would get obsessed again, and didn't want to own another scale - ever! But they went on, and I buckled. So I paid £25 for a new scale, which arrived on 11th August.

Hence, I am using it daily! And again I am letting it dictate my mood. I know I am wrong ~ that is why I threw away the first scales. Hmph!

Where abouts in Sussex are you? If it really becomes too much you're welcome to hide your scales at my house and visit them once a week!

It's horrible the way it can dictate your mood, and weather you continue or quit even though your body changes so often it's very rarely a genuine result!

View attachment 151673View attachment 151674View attachment 151675

These are some photos of me at my fattest. The two in Cyprus (black skirt) were taken when I weighed 26 stone 9 (373 pounds) my highest ever weight. These spur me on because I never want to look like that again.

You look exactly as I imagined you would bright bubbly and smiley !!! I am sorry your having such a crappy time at the moment I think sometimes the demons we fight at this size are just so so damn powerful if they weren't we would never have got this big...

Could visiting your gp or asking the practise nurse if they have a weightloss clinic and maybe just weigh there 2 weekly or monthly or a trip into your local boots the reason I ask is I have weighed daily for last 7 years and it has literally crippled me mentally same as you I have got rid of scales I have bought more I have had hubby hide them but I physically go into some sort of mourning desperation if I don't weigh then daily or 3 times daily what I eat is dictated by what it says buuuuuuuuuuuuut I re-joined slim world this week and my batteries have gone in my scales and only twice I have pinched the batteries out of my pc mouse to weigh both times I have been gutted and eaten junk (but kept in syn allowance) but I am going to put them away as I feel I will never get past this without getting shot of the scales and trusting in the plan, I only have to look on this forum to see hundreds of people doing amazingly well so the plans work it's just us putting hurdles in the way, my reason is being scared of not being fat I think what if I hate myself even more then, what if hubby don't love me no more all nonsense but a big enough excuse for me to not giving the plan a chance as I am weighing daily not weekly... sorry for the jabbering lol x

Personally it works better for me to weigh every day as it wasn't until I went through the exercise of logging and weighing each day for a couple of months to see the fluctuations that I finally came to the conclusion that I wasn't failing but it was just that certain foods and certain times of the month would result in what would be a recorded as a gain if I attended a diet class each week.

If it affects your mood then don't weigh but if you can approach it as a research exercise then it can be useful in identifying foods that may not suit you because they cause an instant upward swing in your body.

Stick with it Helena, your body is still adjusting to your new foods and you being more active.

Thank you all for your replies.

First, my news. Despite eating only 1200 calories for two consecutive days, days in which I was active the whole day decorating and tidying, doing some DIY and woodworking, bending stretching carrying and spending about 4 hours altogether on my feet (this is compared to my previous completely sedentary life) I have again failed to go below 340.

Yesterday I was up from 340.8 to 343.2. Today I'm weighing in at 342.4 This means I have lost only 2lb since 26th Aug ~ a whole week! OK I know some will say, "that's still a loss" but what worries me is that I went from 340 to 343 despite keeping to my calorie allowance and being under by hundreds for three days out of the seven. I know this will sound daft but I am panicking now. There is a little voice in my head laughing at me, saying it will never let me go below 340. But the sane part of me knows that it WILL happen eventually. I just need patience. Impatience is probably my biggest problem.

Oh, I also note that my weight loss stopped the very day that I started taking the carb blockers that had the fabulous reviews on Amazon. So MY review won't be so great!

On a happier note, I am having no problems whatever with sticking to the diet. I never go hungry, I have a huge variety of foods to eat and also treats and snacks. I'm feeling a bit bemused (though grateful of course!) that my overeating self seems to have gone on her holidays. Let's hope she never returns!

Llama ... hi babe! I am in St Leonards on Sea. I don't think there is anyone on here anywhere near me. SOmeone is in Lewes (was that you?) I'm going to have to keep weighing daily (see below), but I will work on trying to stay calm.

Hi Karen... shrinking Welshlady! Your story of stealing batteries made me laugh! I do not trust the plan, I'm afraid. I haven't seen it work for long enough. Maybe once I have lost (if I ever do!) 3 or 4 stone I will stop weighing so obsessively. My problem is, I have this terrible fear that the 11lb I lost was "just water weight" or my body being shocked by the sudden change of diet, and that is all the weight it is EVER going to let go of. The thought of that scares me half to death. Sorry to hear you are having fears about losing weight. Clearly, this is something that contributed to your gaiing weight up to 27stone. I am sure your husband will love you EVEN MORE, not because you are slimmer, but because you put your mind to something and achieved it. There is much to admire in that concept, whatever the subject.

Tranq... in the 200 club wey-hey-hey!I want some of that, hun! I think you are right and so I will carry on weighing daily. The reason I tried so many times to follow Atkins is because I used to have a LOT of issues around the overproduction of insulin (long story!) so that is why I gave up high GI foods like sugar, potatoes and wheat for years. Abstaining from these foods seems to have worked: these no longer appear to have any outward physical affect on me, but what if they still affect me internally ~ like, raise my insulin, leading to fat storage instead of weight loss?

If this is the case I will be utterly despondent. I have had an aboslute RIOT these last few weeks eating bread and potatoes and pasta (spaghetti yesterday nom nom!) these foods have become like champagne and caviare to me, because they were forbidden for so long. I hope I won't have to give them up again!

I am going to make some adjustments... like, I have bought romaine lettuce and will use it as a substitute for bread (e.g. instead of two sandwiches, have one made with bread and the other made with romaine. Also, limit myself to ONE small chocolate bar (100 calories) a day.

Helena

Last edited:
I'm sure you know by now what my recommendation will be, Helena, and I'm sure you think I'm like a broken record, lol, but you're not eating anywhere near as much as you should be for healthy and sustainable weight loss. Your body gets shocked into thinking it's starving, and the weight loss stalls - I know that from past, painful experience. That's my nag over, I'll leave you alone now, I promise! :D xx

I'm sure you know by now what my recommendation will be, Helena, and I'm sure you think I'm like a broken record, lol, but you're not eating anywhere near as much as you should be for healthy and sustainable weight loss. Your body gets shocked into thinking it's starving, and the weight loss stalls - I know that from past, painful experience. That's my nag over, I'll leave you alone now, I promise! :D xx

Hi babe. Do you think 1700 not enough hun? I am averaging about 1600 to 1700, taken over a week.

Helena

lol I was going to say "eat more" too but Tracy got there first.

You see Helena you are keeping to your original calories but you have now started being more active. You need to refuel more because of the extra activity.

One thing I would suggest seeing that you have a history of blood sugar issues is not to eat too many carbs at one meal but spread them out equally through the day. Carbs are fine but you do have to take the glycemic load into account to prevent insulin turning them into fat.

Also try the seeded/multigrain breads if you like them as they affect the blood sugar more slowly.

Last edited:
Hi babe. Do you think 1700 not enough hun? I am averaging about 1600 to 1700, taken over a week.

Helena

I would definitely work out your BMR and make sure you're not eating below it, and also maybe try Tranq's advice about carbs. I'm a carb fiend myself, but they don't seem to cause me too much trouble, and I'd never recommend cutting them out completely, but maybe the idea of spreading them out more might help? :) xx

I totally agree with the girls, eating below your BMR is definitely a cause of me sticking and when I spoke to a few gym bunnies they all said the same don't eat below as the body hasn't enough fuel to run itself and burn fat we all know which one suffers they often eat back half of their exercise cals too but I don't think that applies to us yet as its taken into consideration just general bits and pieces xx I am gutted for you but 2lb a week loss is what we are told is a good healthy loss x

I think my BMR was worked out by a chap on another site and it was 2200 and my TDEE 2600. But may be misremembering,

For some reason I have developed an intense fear exceeding 1700 a day (averaged over a week); I even feel a bit 'naughty' exceeding 1600. I cannot believe that eating 2200 will make me lose weight, I just can't. It seems counter-intuitive. And yet here are ladies who have lost weight ~ in some cases massive amounts ~ assuring me that I should eat more.

Of course, nothing is irreversible: I can try it for a few days and see what happens to the scale.

Yes, that's right, about 2,200. Mine's 1,400 and that's the level I eat at most days - my weight loss is now slower, but I am still losing at BMR. :) xx

Yes, that's right, about 2,200. Mine's 1,400 and that's the level I eat at most days - my weight loss is now slower, but I am still losing at BMR. :) xx

Crickey! You really want me to eat 2,200? I cannot believe I will lose anything on that. Can you explain something to me, sweetheart? How come the poor sods on the meal replacement shakes are losing shedloads of weight on calories that are well below their BMR and TDEE. I don't know how many calories they eat exactly (when I did Cambridge it was 330) but I guess maybe 600 or up to 1,000?

The ketogenic diets are very different, you can't really compare them to one where you eat food. Personally I wouldn't do one myself, but I know they do have their fans - not sure how the long term success rates compare.

I'd certainly consider eating at least 1,800 a day if I were you, but I do know it's generally recommended to eat between your BMR and TDEE. :) xx

The ketogenic diets are very different, you can't really compare them to one where you eat food. Personally I wouldn't do one myself, but I know they do have their fans - not sure how the long term success rates compare.

I'd certainly consider eating at least 1,800 a day if I were you, but I do know it's generally recommended to eat between your BMR and TDEE. :) xx

I'd bloody love to eat 1800 or more! I have SIX 800g jars of Hellman's in the cupboard (I always buy in bulk!) which I have been trying to sell (at a financial loss) and nothing would give me greater pleasure than to nom nom nom my way through them, but the 100 calories a spoonful scares the hell out of me!

Also, I could have fish and chips and KFC yum yum yum I am now salivating at the thought!

I am prepared to try it, but what shall we do if I still don't lose any weight? Then must I reduce calories, or what do we do?

Helena

Edited to add: just had an offer of £12 for my six jars of mayo...

I'd bloody love to eat 1800 or more! I have SIX 800g jars of Hellman's in the cupboard (I always buy in bulk!) which I have been trying to sell (at a financial loss) and nothing would give me greater pleasure than to nom nom nom my way through them, but the 100 calories a spoonful scares the hell out of me!

Also, I could have fish and chips and KFC yum yum yum I am now salivating at the thought!

I am prepared to try it, but what shall we do if I still don't lose any weight? Then must I reduce calories, or what do we do?

Helena

I think you're over-thinking this Helena, worrying about obstacles that don't exist yet.

Back