25 stone to 19 stone in 8 months.

Morning
Tesco - Smoked Salmon Slices (Typical Slice 30g), 30 g (Typical Slice)550g3g7g0mg400mg0g0g
Afternoon
Tesco - Thin Smoked Ham, 50 g531g2g9g0mg1mg0g0g
Chicken - Breast, meat only, cooked, roasted, 1 cup, chopped or diced2310g5g43g119mg104mg0g0g
Tesco - Instore Bakery - Multigrain Triangle Roll, 80 g19232g3g8g0mg0mg2g3g
Co-Operative - Tiger Roll, 80 g22443g3g8g0mg0mg0g0g
Coop - Melon and Grape, 150 g450g0g0g0mg0mg10g0g
Sainsbury's - Runny Set Honey, 2 teaspoons (15ml)4912g0g0g0mg0mg12g0g
Juiced - Lemon, 1 lemon84g0g0g0mg1mg1g0g
Heinz - Salad Cream (Original), 20 g674g5g0g0mg0mg4g0g
Heinz - Piccallili, 30 g306g0g0g0mg1mg5g0g
Last meal
Heinz - Salad Cream (Original), 20 g674g5g0g0mg0mg4g0g
Chicken - Breast, meat only, cooked, roasted, 1 cup, chopped or diced2310g5g43g119mg104mg0g0g
Tesco - Instore Bakery - Multigrain Triangle Roll, 80 g19232g3g8g0mg0mg2g3g
Apple - Apples, 1 med8025g0g1g0mg2mg19g4g
Bananas - Raw, 1 small (6" to 6-7/8" long)9023g0g1g0mg1mg12g3g
Hellmans - Light Mayo, 20 ml541g5g0g0mg0mg0g0g
Drinks/treats
Robitussin Dm Cough Syrup - 2 Tsp, 6 tsp7215g0g0g0mg0mg0g0g
TOTAL:1,740202g39g128g238mg614mg71g13g

I have a chest congested with mucus and get breathless walking from one room to another. I feel listless, spaced out, cannot concentrate on anything. I just want to lie down all day and do nothing.

Doing all I can by way of self help like breathing exercises and steam inhalations and drinking lots of water.

No sense of smell or taste, and no appetite. Well, only for chocolate! I could eat that. For the texture.

Weight had jumped 6lb overnight 2 days ago, 332 to 338. Today back down 2lb to 336.Did not log the rise. Leaving log at 332. I will catch up.

If you're ill and all you want to do is lay down, do it, you'll heal quicker if you treat yourself right. No point in pushing yourself and making it worse Hun.

Also, when I'm coming down with something my weight is all over the place, don't trust the scales when you're poorly.

I hope you feel better soon, eat well and rest up.
X

If you're ill and all you want to do is lay down, do it, you'll heal quicker if you treat yourself right. No point in pushing yourself and making it worse Hun.

Also, when I'm coming down with something my weight is all over the place, don't trust the scales when you're poorly.

I hope you feel better soon, eat well and rest up.
X

The trouble is, whilst every fibre of my being is crying out to lie down, or recline on the sofa and do nothing, the cure for a congested chest includes moving about and doing exercise, which helps loosen the mucus! Sod's Law! Perhaps I can walk to the shop for some medicinal chocolate, thus stretching my lungs, also to get out of the way whilst the cleaner is hoovering the stair carpet. Then I can spend the afternoon sitting down and breathing in peppermint oil/steam whilst watching TV.

I am avoiding the doctor, mainly because I just don't have the energy to go there and then wait in a room full of sick people. The last thing I need right now is to pick up a cold or something!

The trouble is, whilst every fibre of my being is crying out to lie down, or recline on the sofa and do nothing, the cure for a congested chest includes moving about and doing exercise, which helps loosen the mucus! Sod's Law! Perhaps I can walk to the shop for some medicinal chocolate, thus stretching my lungs, also to get out of the way whilst the cleaner is hoovering the stair carpet. Then I can spend the afternoon sitting down and breathing in peppermint oil/steam whilst watching TV.

That sounds perfect, the fresh air will do you the world of good and then you can rest up. You can always get up again should it get worse and go for a little wander.
X

Today had been an utterly disastrous day for me, diet-wise.

Intensely miserable about being ill with this chest/lung problem, especially as it prevents me from doing anything, stops me sleeping etc etc I have been on a terrible binge, which isn't over yet as I feel inclined to order takeaway fish and chips.

It makes me realise more than ever that I do definitely abuse food by using it to cheer myself up or give myself comfort.

It is interesting that I can remember my mother giving me "treat" food every time I got upset, hurt myself or had to face a stressful situation. It has, clearly, ingrained into my brain the notion that food is some kind of comfort blanket.

OK so, back to today, I had:

2 rashers bacon and half a tomato, fried in olive oil.

a whole tiger baton, without butter but with 100g roast deli beef and 100g ham, some mayo and some pickle.

a whole 112g bar of Galaxy

It's hard to input the tiger baton into MFP as I have no idea what it weighed and the Tesco website tells me nothing

Tiger Baton - Groceries - Tesco Groceries

I shall log it as 500c.

I just phoned the chip shop and they have no delivery driver tonight. Is this a message from the Universe, telling me not to binge?

=======================================================

Just went to doc's. He has put me on antibiotics and steroids. He also said the cardiac arrhythmia is definitely caused by a build up of Ventolin, and not any kind of heart defect. PHEW! That is a relief. It also explains why I had it a few times at the beginning of the year, when I was using Ventolin a lot, and then that one isolated incident last Sunday, after, yes, you guessed, using Ventolin for a few days. The doc or pharmacist really ought to tell the patient this, because it would not be HALF as scary if you knew that it was caused by the medication!

He also found my BP has jumped from 120 to 160, but refuses to accept it as a reading because of my current illness. They will take it again in a couple of weeks.

I got my cholesterol readings from blood taken in April, after being on a high fat diet for a long time. The nurse said the readings were fine.

Serum cholesterol 5.6 (average for a UK woman is 5.6; ideal is under 5).

Triglycerides 1.1 (ideal is under 1.7)

HDL 1.5 (ideal is over 1.0)

Calculated LDL 3.6 (ideal is under 3)

Total cholesterol HDL ratio 3.7 (ideal is under 4)

I wonder if this new, low fat, low calorie, high carb diet will ruin my good cholesterol stats?

Helena

What you have eaten isn't THAT bad. Don't order any takeaway!!!!! You may feel horrid tonight but just think how much better you'll feel in the morning knowing you didn't have loads of fried salty carbs.
Be strong xxxxxx

Hope you feel better soon Helena and good you've been to your GP.

Last time I had a chest infection and anti-biotics I dropped a stone in a week.

Don't worry about the food just look at it as "feeding the cold" as the saying goes.

Thank you to all three ladies!

This is definitely one of those moments when I desperately need my girlfriends on here to keep me on the straight and narrow.

My mouth is watering now at the thought of what I could phone up for right now: Indian, Chinese, kebab... fried chicken. It's SO obviously linked to feeling miserable.

I totted it all up in MFP and it comes to 1,800 calories. I can go up to 2,600 if I want to (my TDEE is 2600).

The fridge is full of other foods, but I feel a craving for something "naughty"... comforting junk, not chicken breast and broccoli!

The SAFEST thing would be to go up to bed RIGHT NOW with a cup a soup. I'll be safe up there, the chips can't find me!

That tiger baton sounds amazing. I hope you enjoyed it for us all.

Say no to the chips. You are so much stronger than that. You wouldn't be here if you wasn't. You would be hiding with a bag of chips. You haven't given in. Your back with us. Something I find really hard is not to let 1 bad meal turn into a bad day. Which turns into a bad week. I then give up completely. The world of a yo to,dieter.

Start weight 19st 9.8

Goal 1 lose half a stone - done
Goal 2 lose 1 stone - done
Goal 3 lose 1 stone 7 - done
Goal 4 lose 2 stone
Goal 5 lose 2 stone 7
Goal 6 lose 3 stone
Goal 7 lose 3 stone 7
Goal 8 lose 4 stone

Current weight - 18st 1.8

That tiger baton sounds amazing. I hope you enjoyed it for us all.

Something I find really hard is not to let 1 bad meal turn into a bad day. Which turns into a bad week. I then give up completely. The world of a yo to,dieter.

It wasn't that great, as it happens. I believe that my enjoyment of it was based on having something "naughty" and off plan. It was stodgy and chewy and tasteless.

I know what you mean. That behaviour describes how I was on Atkins.

Maybe have a slightly less naughty takeaway? Something like a Chinese Chicken and Mushroom with boiled rice? As you say, as long as you keep to your TDEE. Just be aware that your weight will go up temporarily, due to water retention, especially with something like a Chinese. :) xx

Thank you to all three ladies! This is definitely one of those moments when I desperately need my girlfriends on here to keep me on the straight and narrow. My mouth is watering now at the thought of what I could phone up for right now: Indian, Chinese, kebab... fried chicken. It's SO obviously linked to feeling miserable. I totted it all up in MFP and it comes to 1,800 calories. I can go up to 2,600 if I want to (my TDEE is 2600). The fridge is full of other foods, but I feel a craving for something "naughty"... comforting junk, not chicken breast and broccoli! The SAFEST thing would be to go up to bed RIGHT NOW with a cup a soup. I'll be safe up there, the chips can't find me!

Bed with lemsip and a cuppa soup will have you waking up feeling much more positive.
Takeaway will make you feel good for maybe an hour but bad for much longer. Not having it will make you feel good for way longer!
You are best off doing a tesco order for tomorrow and getting in some yummy healthy foods for you to look forward to tomorrow :) much better than a takeaway xx

Thank you ladies for bringing me to heel.

I am now upstairs in my bedroom, safe. I have with me a cup a soup, a banana and an apple.

I don't have a cold. I had a severe allergic reaction to dust, followed by a chest congested with mucus, causing asthma.

I want to repay your belief in me, so that is why I have come up here.

Here's my food log for today

FoodsCaloriesCarbsFatProteinCholestSodiumSugarsFiber
Morning
Generic - 1 Rasher Fried Bacon, 2 rasher840g6g6g18mg384mg0g0g
Vegetable - - Tomato, 73 g184g0g1g0mg0mg0g1g
Oil - Olive, 1 tablespoon1190g14g0g0mg0mg0g0g
Afternoon
Galaxy - Chocolate Bar 114g, 114 g62064g37g8g0mg1mg63g0g
Deli Meat - Roast Beef (Deli), 4 oz1600g6g24g60mg420mg0g0g
Tesco - Tiger Baton, 200 g5260g4g0g0mg0mg6g0g
Tesco - Thin Smoked Ham, 50 g531g2g9g0mg1mg0g0g
Heinz - Piccallili, 30 g306g0g0g0mg1mg5g0g
Hellmans - Mayonnaise - Light, 3 Tbsp (15g)1203g12g0g15mg405mg0g0g
Tomato - Tomato., 0.25 cup276g0g1g0mg3mg2g1g
Last meal
Tesco - Roast Chicken Soup In A Mug, 1 cup10517g3g0g0mg500mg2g1g
Bananas - Raw, 1 small (6" to 6-7/8" long)9023g0g1g0mg1mg12g3g
Apple - Apples, 1 med8025g0g1g0mg2mg19g4g
Drinks/treats
Lemon juice - Raw, 1 fl oz83g0g0g0mg0mg1g0g
Lipton - Forest Fruit Tea, 200 ml81g0g1g0mg0mg1g0g
Robitussin Dm Cough Syrup - 2 Tsp, 2 tsp245g0g0g0mg0mg0g0g
TOTAL:2,072158g84g52g93mg1,718mg111g10g

good on you helena you have been strong x x

I'm really proud of you Helena, for not getting a takeout. Your calories have been fine today even if it wasn't what was planned, and we all know how hard it is to resist a dreaded binge. They do comfort, but only temporarily, I always feel awful afterwards, not just full ad bloated but terribly guilty. It doesn't mean you can't ever have a comforting takeaway again, but to overcome the urge makes it so much more rewarding when you do have one, a planned one.

Hope you're feeling a tad better or are managing to sleep.
XxX

Sorry, I thought you had a cold. I hadn't read up all the thread xx

WELL DONE for not giving in! YOU are AMAZING!! use the feeling you get from being so strong for other occasions like this. You KNOW you can resist even when the desire is so strong.

I'm super proud of you too xxxxx

Well done Helena for resisting the takeaway. What you've actually eaten today is fine - you should see what i break my diet with lol! Seriously this about progress not perfection. And you are doing really well.

Thanks ladies for all the positive comments.

I am UP another pound today, despite my restraint yesterday.

So that is 6lb gained, then another 1lb gained, total 7lb gained in 4 days.

And I am supposed NOT to panic.

Ok. I will try my best!

Oh I forgot to tell you about my GP! What do you reckon on this, gals? I've been at that surgery over 20 years and he's been head of the surgery all that time. He is about 20 stones. Sitting on his chair his stomach lays on his thighs. Never been any different all the time I have known him. Now, the interesting things are:

1. He has been a GP for about 40 years and has a string of letters after his name

2. He has six permanent doctors under him, supplemented by an ever-changing host of locums and interns

3. He employs half a dozen qualified practice nurses

4. He has at his disposal every consultant, dietician, nutritionist and health trainer that Sussex has to offer.

5. He doubtless has BUPA and a private doctor of his own, and access to all of BUPA's dieticians, nutritionists, etc

What is interesting is that despite having access to all the above, he is unable to reduce his own weight.

But the bonus to me is that he cannot nag me about MY weight. In fact, he is sympathetic. A few years ago when I asked him for weight loss advice he poked himself in the gut and said "I'm hardly the best person to ask!" He then said that as far as he was concerned, dieting on the whole did not work, and the only diet that worked was the cabbage soup diet, and he could not stick to it. As I left he said that if I ever found anything that worked would I let him know!

Yesterday, as he struggled to get the cuff around my arm to take my blood pressure, I apologised for my flabby arms, and he smiled sweetly and replied "We cannot help how we are made!" Blimey, what a different attitude from what we USUALLY hear from all those skinny dieticians, nurses, etc!

Back