25 stone to 19 stone in 8 months.

About 18 hrs ago I logged in and read the last few messages on this thread and burst into tears and was sobbing my heart out. So I could not see thru my tears to write a response.

Just now I felt in a better frame of mind so I returned to this thread, read the most recent few messages and burst into tears again.

I don't quite know why it has that effect on me. Maybe because I'm so accustomed to being judged harshly, berated and bitterly criticised that I am touched to the core by the heartfelt understanding and forgiveness I am reading.

I'm typing thru streaming tears even now.

Stupid thing is, if I listed what I did (foodwise) you would not even be shocked, because, as someone said, you've probably done worse.

I dunno, maybe it's the impossibly high standard I set myself. Then when I fall short even a little, I am disgusted with myself. Like you all keep pointing out, it doesn't help, actually. If you allow yourself to wallow in the horror and shame you don't get back on the wagon. The ONLY response is to put it behind you and just pick up where you left off, without shame or guilt.

For me, the very worst thing I can do is to stop logging what I eat. Without that strict calorie boundary in place, it all goes to pot. Without counting and logging, it's incredibly easy to eat 200 or even 400 calories extra without realising it.

I had an on-diet day yesterday and will go and log it all later. I will have a perfect day today.

Lessons learned

The trait of perfectionism is a useful one when dieting, so long as you stay on the diet. For a perfectionist there is almost an orgasmic satisfaction gained from seeing the bottom line of MFP food log that shows you on or under calorie target.

But the trait of perfectionism is a double edged sword because, when you fall short perfection, the tendency then is to throw up everything and just give up. The mentality is "if I cannot do this perfectly, then I won't bother doing it at all!" I can feel that mentality driving me in everything I do. It's probably a result of being raised by a father who never stopped telling me that nothing I did was ever "good enough" to earn his praise. When he died 10 years ago, I returned from his funeral, all alone, walked into my house, put my keys down on the countertop and said to myself, out loud, "You are free now, free of him forever. You can cast off everything he thought about you, forget, ignore, discount all his opinions of you." And I really believed it. It felt like his loud, sneering, critical voice had been removed from its 45-year place on my shoulder, right by my ear.

But, do you know what? Turns out his constant criticism infected the very "building blocks" of what made me become the person I am. Turns out he did it so often, so powerfully, and started from such an early age that I cannot now remove it. All I can do is try to laugh at myself and say "Take no notice, that is just your father talking, and he was wrong, wrong, WRONG! He was an uneducated, ignorant bully who should never have fathered anyone."

Another thing I have learned is that it does not always pay to let friends etc know that you are on a diet. I have email pen friends with whom I began to share my weight loss goals and successes, and indeed one of them challenged me to a weight loss competition to see who could lose 3 stone in 4 months. Of course, when I was losing weight every few days and emailing them to say so, they were thrilled and encouraging, but they also started to extrapolate what weight they expected me to lose in the future.

For example, when I lost 5lb in a week, I got a few replies saying, "Oooh, losing 5lb every week means you will weigh XXX by Christmas!" But of course WE on here know weight loss isn't linear. It's a zigzaggy road. But nondieters don't realise that. When I "failed" to lose consistently, stalled and even regained, I had to email them explaining about weight loss being bumpy, but even as I typed I felt that the recipient would think I had been bingeing and then lying about it by making excuses. This started to make me feel bad about the whole thing. I hated having to "justify" my stall or gain to them. I could feel their disappointment.

I am inclined to think now that it's best to share weight loss efforts ONLY on this forum (or other such forums.)

Last edited:
Thanks ladies for ALL the messages....

In particular I want to respond to Jasmine's comment:

Don't try to do any extra cutting back to make up for lost time - it doesn't work, it just makes you more hungry, more fed up and more likely to lose the plot!

I had to laugh at that comment! After going over my calories by 400 one day, the next day I resolved to have 400 fewer. Result: I was so hungry that I woke up at 1am, stomach rumbling. Got back to sleep but by 3am my stomach was gnawing away at itself it woke me up. By the time I got up at about 5am I was absolutely ravenous and by 7am I had eaten two full large heavy meals, totaling 1,000 calories. Then I felt in such utter despair at having only 800 left to see me through for the next 15 hours till bedtime! As a result of the huge early meals my blood sugar must have shot up then plummeted, because by 9am I was ravenous again, and ate another meal!

Then I sat and wept all over my keyboard, filled with the wretched shame of having eaten three dinners by 10am! I made myself so miserable and was so filled with self hatred that a voice in my head started saying "Well, you have totally f***ed up the whole of today, you might just as well eat whatever you like today, and then re-start perfection tomorrow. To that end, I went down the Co Op to buy a pizza, and also a tin of anchovies to add to it, and a pack of grated cheese so I could have extra cheese. The pizzas were on a two for one offer, so in a sort of unthinking, reflex-action I grabbed two. I had enough anchovies and cheese for two, anyway, and what else would I use them for? I enjoyed the pizza so much... pepperoni, with added olives, anchovies, fresh red peppers and cheese. Woweee! It was like the most amazing combo of tastes and textures, a sensual experience, and I sat on the sofa with my feet up watching University Challenge, savoured every single mouthful and felt like I'd died and gone to heaven.

But I only are the one. Unfortunately, this meant that I was unable to get back on the wagon the next day, because the 2nd pizza was there, waiting to be eaten. When I went to bed that night I could not stop thinking about this 2nd pizza. The first one had been such an orgasmic experience that I was salivating just thinking about repeating that amazing experience. When I got up at 5am I could not stop thinking about it. Eventually I "cracked" and repeated the amazing experience of eating it at about 7am. I nearly got "caught" by a housemate. I felt extremely ashamed and guilty about eating such a thing at such an hour. In fact, the thought of being caught almost ruined the experience of eating it.

And so that ruined the next day, because with all the extra toppings that pizza was a good 1,000 calories, so again I didn't have enough left for the next 15 hours. And so I had another day of about 2,500 calories.

So, yeah, I certainly DID lose the plot.

I find that coming here and typing it all out has made me able to laugh about it. Bottling it up seems to turn it more and more into a dirty, shameful secret that is festering in my mind and making me feel really bad about myself.

Thanks for giving me a place to air it all.

Glad you are back. :)

Forget the past as you can't do anything about whats happened and concentrate on the future which you have control over.
Glad to read yesterday was an on-plan day and today can and will be as well.

You don't need to tell people you are on a diet.It's just a new way of eating for you. :)

Thanks, Cavey.

Wish I had not told anyone outside of here that I am on a diet. Too late now ... they are still asking for updates. I will have to think of something to say... maybe tell them I am bored of emailing about it and talking about it and I'll let them know once I reach a size 8? Or say that I became obsessed by the scale, it was dominating my life, so I have stopped weighing altogether and therefore cannot update them on my weight loss.

Oh Helena, I'm so glad you're back and trying again.

You don't necessarily have to tell them everything, but if you still want to share maybe just put a small P.S at the end of an email "P.S, 5lbs down" etc, then the rest o the email is not focussed on diets. Personally I don't tell people I'm dieting because that means talking about food, and talking about food makes me hungry!

Sending you lots of positive thoughts
XxX

We've all been there sweetheart, it's one of those things. PLease keep coming back, whatever you do. You are in the place where everyone understands and has gone through it before and can even advise you too :)

But, do you know what? Turns out his constant criticism infected the very "building blocks" of what made me become the person I am. Turns out he did it so often, so powerfully, and started from such an early age that I cannot now remove it. All I can do is try to laugh at myself and say "Take no notice, that is just your father talking, and he was wrong, wrong, WRONG! He was an uneducated, ignorant bully who should never have fathered anyone."

Amen to that. My own father was a prince amongst men, noone had a bad word to say against him. Sadly he passed away 11 years ago.

My so-called-grandfather though... he's a bullying waste of space who thinks the world and everyone in it is there to serve him and him alone. Everyone else says that we should just not visit him and just stay away but it's not that simple - the home emotionally blackmail us and he has made us the people we are where we are so damaged that we keep going back for more. My entire life has been spent, from the age of 8 - being a carer. For my lovelylovely gran who passed when I was 11, twatbag and mum - I don't know anything else. I don't know how to switch off from it so I can't just - stop. Whatsmore I, like you, am a much better person than he is and I have the capacity to care about other people and do my duty - even for those who don't deserve it.

We are ALWAYS here. ALWAYS. We will never judge you, even if you eat 54334434323 calories. We've all been there, we've all wobbled or fallen off the wagon for whatever reason. Getting back on FOR YOU is the main part. Getting healthier FOR YOU is the number one think we all want xx

Helena you are a strong lady to have put up with so much emotional abuse for so long. I moved out of home at sixteen but my dad always got his digs in when I was home. None of my siblings or my mum ever heard it though and wouldn't believe me as they were much older. Nothing I did was ever good enough either. It ingrains deeply. I know I've internalised it a lot and comfort ate my way through. It's a hard cycle to break. There are loads of people on here with similar stories. Believe me, your pizza binge was nothing!

You've Turned that amazing strength you have into changing your life for yourself. It's a long journey and the best masterpieces take time to perfect with many ups and downs on the way.

This forum is amazing for support. I haven't told anyone except my husband this time because it was too much pressure to conform last time so you're def not alone. Keep going hon, you've an amazing loss already and have been an inspiration to me.

Helena,
Im so happy to hear your updates and to see you back on here.
I also have not told any of my friends about my diet. A few workmates know, but I've not told them anything about the number of pounds I've lost, and Ive just been honest with them and explained that I would just like to keep my head down, concentrate on what I'm eating and get on with it, and that I don't really want to talk about it! they're fine with that, and the conversation soon moves on.

some days you will go over your cals, but I find in these situations, if you're still hungry then you should let yourself have something to eat - just try and make it something healthy and low cal. I then make extra sure I plan to stay within cal limit the next day, and would totally agree with what was posted earlier about not depriving yourself to counteract overeating the day before.

anyways, the main things is that you're back, you're still trying and you are still having some 'good' days, so it'll all pay off in the end

xxxxxxxxx

Hi Helena, good to see you back.

It's OK to fall off the wagon once in a while as long as you get back on as soon as you can. Most of this weight loss journey is about sorting your head out rather than the food. Just try to keep to a reasonable amount of calories in regular meals rather than grazing all day and if you go over well tomorrow is a clean page. Don't worry about what happened yesterday or the week/month before just keep on trying, eventually you will find you have formed new eating habits and want different foods rather than the stuff you are craving right now.

November tomorrow, make it a good weight loss month :)

So it is - November, I mean. Ooh, I'm a sucker for a "new" month. I have a feeling when I step on the scales tomorrow I'll actually weigh more than I did to start with. Grrr.

I've had the same thoughts about perfectionism, the all-or-nothing thinking. It's utterly barking but makes perfect sense (ha, perfectionism makes perfect sense :8855:) in the moment. I've often thought that if I could learn to be average at this dieting lark I'd be slim by now. It's the weight of expectation though (good grief, the puns keep coming, don't they? :eek: - that you'll do something well? I don't know about you, H, but when I was little, I was told I was clever. My sister was the dainty pretty one and I was the clever one, the one who'd go to college, be whoever I wanted to be, do great things. What actually happened was that I trained for a career to which I wasn't suited because I thought it would make my parents proud. In fact, I spent most of my twenties and thirties trying to make them proud. Never quite managed it, for reasons I might go into another time. But there was this expectation that I could do whatever I put my mind to. Turns out I couldn't. I was miserable in that first career (teaching) but kept going for longer than I should have because I didn't want to let anyone down. I do stuff for myself now (I'm on my third career now and I think this one will stick, LOL) but still, when I diet, I think there's a part of me that wants to do it for other people, to make them happy. In particular, my father would love it if I lost weight. He was so proud of me when I lost 5 and a half stone on Cambridge a few years back. I've put nearly all that weight back now (it's taken 6 years) and I see his face when he looks at me.

Not sure where I was going with all that. Oh - yes, I do. :) I remember! It has to be for you. Losing weight has to be for you, nobody else. The moment someone puts their expectations on to you, it all goes belly up (and another pun - b-bom bom tish! ;)). And it has to be to your timeframe, no one else's. I think it's because their pleasure at your success actually feels like they're saying, "Yes, you're fat, and it will make us feel better if you lose weight". Like somehow, you'll be a better person, a more significant person if you're slimmer. Which you won't be - you'll just be slimmer. They'd deny that, of course, and they might be telling the truth - but deep down, that's the message you actually hear. Plus it's bl**dy hard to lose even one pound a week on a regular basis, let alone 5lbs a week. I daresay no one thinks of the pressure it puts on you if someone does the maths and calculates how slim you'll be by Christmas. I know my father has never understood that. I even said to him once, "So what if I am slimmer by x date? Would it change how you feel about me? Would I be a more worthwhile person in your eyes?" I think it's fair to say he didn't really get what I was trying to say. :)

Anyway. New month, new start, and all that. I have sometimes thought about throwing my scales away and have sometimes put them away for a while. But for me, it turns out a bit like what happens when you don't log your food on MFP or similar - control just gradually slips away from me!

So glad you're back xx

Last edited:
Great to see you back posting Helena. Just remember you don't fail unless you give up completely. Have a great weekend - new month new start!

I am overwhelmed by the avalanche of LOVE posted on this board in the last few days and will reply to each message when I have more time than now.

I'm waiting for my brother and sister in law' first visit in nearly 3 yrs so am keyboard bashing in haste.

1st November 2014

After waking this morning after a horrible night punctuated by bouts of sobbing, I lay in bed and wrote on a notepad that November IS a new month and I made a list of things I will do for just 30 days.

~ Go to the pool every day: no excuses, no exceptions. Just for 30 days.

~ Keep to 1800 calories

~ Get up and dance, alone, in my office, to loud rock music, for 3 minutes, once per day.

~ when watching TV, lift 3kg nylon barbells for an hour

~ drink more water

My immediate first thought on typing this is "Oh here we go again, yet another list of promises that will all be forgotten about by tomorrow." So in fact the first challenge to myself is to actually STICK, FOR ONCE IN MY LIFE to the self-improvement promises I make to myself for the duration chosen.

And that means constant vigilance and constant monitoring. It means keeping this tab open on my browser all day and logging in updates of my progress, stating that I completed each task.

Last edited:
Hi! I'm new and just popping in to subscribe. Thank you for sharing those links, they made very interesting reading. Fingers crossed for us all that November is a positive month all round! x

I'm sorry but again I find I don't have enough time to respond to all those lovely, long, interesting, helpful, caring messages left on this thread. They require more than the 5 minutes I have before the cab arrives to take me to the pool.

So, a quick update.

My weight had dropped to as low as 327 then to my horror started creeping back up and over 9 days reached 336. This seems to have caused me to "give up" and go off the rails for a few days. I became petrified of what the scales would say. 338? 344? More?

Eventually realised I HAD to face it sometime and weighed yesterday. I was over the moon to find it was 331. Major "PHEW" moment! Retarting at 331, just 4lb over my lowest weight, is a helluva lot better than restarting at what I expected, 338 or more. I felt that Fate had forgiven me and handed me a kick-start.
=======================

Report on Day #1 (yesterday)

A perfect first day!

1hr aquafit/under 1800c/fair amount of water

Did not dance or lift weights as I was out all day and did not watch TV, but some walking outdoors, which compensates for that

Cos brother & sister in law visited and wanted fish n chips, I walked a little in the outdoors from car to restaurant, round the Herring Fair, where I stood up for a while, and jiggled a little to the band playing, and walked back to car. I had battered huss, with a salad, and took about 5 small chips from his plate. Despite pressure and emotional blackmail from bro, did not have a dessert, or even one piece of the hot ring doughnuts he stuck under my nose more than once.

Usually with this little bit of temptation and pressure I buckle under, but I did not. I do have a stubborn streak within my character, which I can utilise to stubbornly refuse to be sabotaged by other people.

==============

Weighed today ~ down a pound from yesterday, so now 330.

One last thing ... I found a folder of old, forgotten pics taken in 2005. They were typical "before photos" (body front, back, sides, etc in underwear) and each one was labelled "371lb" So I was wrong. I have been thinking my highest weight was 366 (hence my name) when it was in fact 371. I'm actually pleased about this, as it makes my weight loss more impressive ~ I've actually lost 41lb.

Day #2

Ever so proud of myself. A full 50 minutes dancing in the water, despite feeling aches and pains all over from yesterday's exertions. AND, what is more, after two paracetamol decided to walk part of the 1 mile home (I haven't walked home for about 2 years).

If it hadn't been so windy and had started to rain, and had I taken some food with me, I think I might have been able to walk home.

Feeling a bit wobbly with hunger, I walked about 1/4 mile to Lidl, then all the way round the shop, and taxi home.

I feel really proud that, at 56 yrs old and with a BMI of 58 I can still do an hour's exercise in the pool and have energy left over to walk 1/4 mile.

Also proud that, although I paused and gazed upon the massive array of mouthwatering chocolates and biscuits in Lidl, and whilst ravenously hungry (had not eaten for 17 hours) I said to myself "Nah, not worth the calories", and walked on! Yes, me! Woo woo!

It was 12.30pm before I got a chance to eat breakfast (cup a soup, 50g ham, a bowl of oven-roasted butternut squash and carrot, and a pint of tea). I'll log 500 calories.

Another bonus of going to the pool is that I start my "eating day" later, making it MUCH easier to keep within the calorie allowance. After all, I have 1300 left for today, and that is plenty of I go to bed about 10pm.

Last edited:
Back