25 stone to 19 stone in 8 months.

Thoughts about how I might start to get back on the wagon...

Was heavily dependent upon sandwiches when I was doing really well on my diet. I loved everything about them and found they really filled me up and the calories could be controlled as everything in the sandwich had the calories on the label .. bread, 58 per slice, scraping of low fat soft cheese or pickle, ham or smoked salmon or chicken breast. Then a Slimfast caramel bar, really yummy and chocolate-y, and a 1.25pt mug of strong tea with milk. I could have all that lot and feel stuffed and bloated, all for about 500 calories.

But so now, with the candida, not allowed to have any sugar or wheat or milk or ham! It's left me floundering, puzzled about how to get back on the wagon with all these extra restrictions. And it feels like, without my sandwiches, tea and Slimfast bars, I am completely unable to get back onto my diet. And yes, I know exactly how stupid that sounds!

Am "supposed" to be eating salad, lemon and olive oil, meat cooked in coconut oil, fruit tea with lemon juice and ginger. But I am not in the mood for salad (must be the cold weather!) and have major cravings for wheat and chocolate.

I know that I HAVE to get back on the wagon, for if I don't, it won't be long before I am one of those housebound people you see on TV, naked on a bed being washed by a home help.

I know that I HAVE to get back to the swimming pool, but the thought of taking off my layers of warm clothes, to walk around a pool complex in a swimsuit, shivering with cold, just puts me right off.

I need someone to come and give me a huge kick up my huge arse. It's bloody hard to dig deep and just magically "find" all the enthusiasm and motivation, within yourself when there is nobody about in real life to care, to help, to accompany.

Just a couple of thoughts for you, I feel able to comment as my small son is wheat AND dairy intolerant, not a choice for him but a medical necessity. Bread is easy, there are so many wheat free alternatives out there, try them out and find one you like and go for it. Some do have sugar/dairy in them, some don't, lots of label reading required. There are also many dairy free milk alternatives out there for your tea, oat milk, rice milk etc. My son prefers oat milk. Find one you can tolerate, the more of it you have the quicker you will get used to it, if a 7 year old can adapt to these things then so can you. Go and hang out in the "free from" section of your supermarket if you really need chocolate and processed food, there is plenty there to choose from, it's trial and error as regards what you will like but that's part of the adventure in this new way of life. Wheat/dairy/sugar free is not that hard once you get your head round it and there is information in abundance on the internet. Did your GP tell you to follow this way of eating? Iff so many items should be available to you on prescription, go back and ask or ask to be referred to a dietician. Good luck.

Thoughts about how I might start to get back on the wagon...

Was heavily dependent upon sandwiches when I was doing really well on my diet. I loved everything about them and found they really filled me up and the calories could be controlled as everything in the sandwich had the calories on the label .. bread, 58 per slice, scraping of low fat soft cheese or pickle, ham or smoked salmon or chicken breast. Then a Slimfast caramel bar, really yummy and chocolate-y, and a 1.25pt mug of strong tea with milk. I could have all that lot and feel stuffed and bloated, all for about 500 calories.

But so now, with the candida, not allowed to have any sugar or wheat or milk or ham! It's left me floundering, puzzled about how to get back on the wagon with all these extra restrictions. And it feels like, without my sandwiches, tea and Slimfast bars, I am completely unable to get back onto my diet. And yes, I know exactly how stupid that sounds!

Am "supposed" to be eating salad, lemon and olive oil, meat cooked in coconut oil, fruit tea with lemon juice and ginger. But I am not in the mood for salad (must be the cold weather!) and have major cravings for wheat and chocolate.

I know that I HAVE to get back on the wagon, for if I don't, it won't be long before I am one of those housebound people you see on TV, naked on a bed being washed by a home help.

I know that I HAVE to get back to the swimming pool, but the thought of taking off my layers of warm clothes, to walk around a pool complex in a swimsuit, shivering with cold, just puts me right off.

I need someone to come and give me a huge kick up my huge arse. It's bloody hard to dig deep and just magically "find" all the enthusiasm and motivation, within yourself when there is nobody about in real life to care, to help, to accompany.

Ok I am doing free from gluten, wheat and diary. I am actually doing 2 shakes a day at the min made with coconut mild but almond, hazelnut and rice milk are just as good.

I have made loads of meals and put in the freezer so I can just grab one out in the morning and eat for my tea.
I use a lot of chicken and tune but obviously other meat, fish and quorn could be used instead.
Some of my ideas are

Stir fry veg with chicken. Also add herbs and passata
Stir fry with tuna.
Basmati rice with chicken or tuna. Again I add passata and veg to make it more interesting.
Chicken curry made with coconut milk, curry powder, onions and mushrooms. Served with basmati rice
Sweet potato fries
Parsnip fries
Honey roast veg with manuka honey

My biggest saviour is nakd bars. They look awful but taste great really nice texture too. My favourites are chocolate orange and cherry bake well. They satisfy my sweet tooth and I am awful for sweet stuff. Don't give in. If I can do it you can. And once you get in the habit it's fine.

Morrisons salad is my get out clause. I am not a salad fan but their salad bar is great and wether spoons do a nice chicken salad.

Start weight 19st 9.8

Goal 1 lose half a stone - done
Goal 2 lose 1 stone - done
Goal 3 lose 1 stone 7 - done
Goal 4 lose 2 stone
Goal 5 lose 2 stone 7
Goal 6 lose 3 stone
Goal 7 lose 3 stone 7
Goal 8 lose 4 stone

Current weight - 17st 10.6

Just a couple of thoughts for you, I feel able to comment as my small son is wheat AND dairy intolerant, not a choice for him but a medical necessity. Bread is easy, there are so many wheat free alternatives out there, try them out and find one you like and go for it. Some do have sugar/dairy in them, some don't, lots of label reading required. There are also many dairy free milk alternatives out there for your tea, oat milk, rice milk etc. My son prefers oat milk. Find one you can tolerate, the more of it you have the quicker you will get used to it, if a 7 year old can adapt to these things then so can you. Go and hang out in the "free from" section of your supermarket if you really need chocolate and processed food, there is plenty there to choose from, it's trial and error as regards what you will like but that's part of the adventure in this new way of life. Wheat/dairy/sugar free is not that hard once you get your head round it and there is information in abundance on the internet. Did your GP tell you to follow this way of eating? Iff so many items should be available to you on prescription, go back and ask or ask to be referred to a dietician. Good luck.

Kitty I am EVER so sorry, I didn't think to write a list of things that the candida diet entails..... it is no grains at all, not just no wheat. I mentioned the bread because no grains covers that, but I am also not allowed rye bread, rice milk, etc, nor artificial sweeteners, nor any of the starchy carbs like parsnips, sweet potato etc. No tuna, prawn, mushrooms, vinegar, pickles, pork, the list goes on.

Also Camplestar... but many thanks for sharing your ideas.

No, diet is not from a doctor but from online candida forums (like this one). I don't think doctors understand anything about diet, nutrition or candida. I can't wait for a year or 18mo to see a dietitician, as I need to cure this thing now. It does seem to be dying off, just from eating loads of live yoghurt and keeping off the bread. Very expensive apple cider vinegar arrived today, to be sprinkled on salad and drunk with water!

Why on earth would you put yourself on this diet without seeing a doctor?! Do you take all your advice from strangers on the Internet?

If so my advice would be to see a doctor and tell him \ her about this crazy sounding plan. You say it's starting to kill off the candida ... Would this be the candida that you've diagnosed yourself with?

What you need to do is very simple - stop eating processed food , stop eating chocolate and don't eat white carbs. Up the protein and eat three filling meals a day. The weight will come off.

As this is obviously easier said than done then I'd also suggest counselling to explore your issues surrounding food. That would go hand in hand with a proper plan that doesn't involve the deprivation you talk of - which of course you'll never stick to.

You asked for a kick up the arse so I've obliged.

VERY well said Felicityfoxton. I'm afraid I have no time for people who self diagnose and then whinge about the diet they've put themselves on. Helena you say you have to follow this diet and how hard it is and how miserable you are but you judging by your own posts you haven't actually followed it yet and you're miserable anyway. You've just eaten lots of chocolate and thought about it until you are more and more miserable. As Felicity has said, put yourself on a sensible diet and see a counsellor, this will do more for you than anything and as the weight starts to come off again your mood will start to lift and you'll feel so much better.
If you really want to continue with this diet then it id still very doable, keep it simple, meat and the veg that you can have. Can I suggest, though, that before you put yourself through it you get a proper diagnosis, this diet may not be necessary at all.

I know from reading your diary how you feel about people telling you things you don't want to hear so I'll get my coat....

I think Felicityfoxton and Kittybling are dead right. I hope you take this as the "kick up the whatsit" that you asked for. It might not be what you want to hear, but I believe it's honestly meant to try to help.

Agree with both above.

Honestly, it really IS as simple as a diet that means you eat three good sized meals a day, moderate carbs, a litre or two of water a day and try swapping bread for oat cakes. Pasta for brown rice. Eat more lean protein and fish - without batter on it.

However , because I understand that it's not ' as simple as ' for people with serious food issues, then counselling would be perfect to help you explore all these issues. You order lots of things from the Internet - honestly , no need. What on earth does anyone do with cider vinegar ? Drink it ?! Mix it with oil ?! Just eat a chicken/!tuna : hard boiled eggs salad - as much as you fancy and splash it with olive oil and lemon juice. Trust me, that perfectly fits in with any anti candida plan if that's what your latest fixation is.

I know you'll take what I / we've said as criticism but it isn't. I promise you this - IF you carry on as you are then you will not lose any weight. Sure , you might lose a few lbs but it won't ever be sustainable. And your health issues will worsen. Any diet plan works - all of them do! The key is to stick to them and not try and eat multiple slices of bread a day or lots of chocolate. Hand in hand with a doctors advice , some counselling , whatever .. Then you can do it . Alas, I fear for you without the aforementioned intervention

And lol at posters taking time out to share their experiences and offer advice and you just saying thanks but no thanks, I'm not allowed to eat pork/ an apple / whatever other madness.

Have a bowl of porridge for breakfast with a handful of nuts and berries thrown in. Or maybe some eggs and good quality bacon. Don't try and have a pint of tea and six sandwiches.

I'm going to suggest that you try something like the Nom Nom Paelo Whole 30 Helena. You will need to do a bit of home cooking though.

I find having a detox day with just water, fruit and veggies can help kickstart the diet head. Sometimes your liver just needs a break from constantly dealing with the junk it's being fed.

i agree with you all there is no quick fix it got to be a mind changing lifestyle for life and thats what im doing now walking more and eating healthier

It's the standard candida diet. Issued by nutritionists. Listed on all the candida sites and in the books (I have three).

I didn't write this diet. If I did, it sure would contain bread, milk and pork, three of my favourite things.

Last edited:
I have reported "Felicitys" posts.

Reason: she isn't a dieter, has only ever posted three messages on MiniMins, all of them abusive, and all of them on this thread in the last 5 hours.

Click on her name and you can check out everything I have said is true. She's never done anything on Minimins except write those three posts on here. {Edit: now five or six posts on here.}

She is a troll who has registered under a false name with the sole intention of insulting struggling dieters from a position of anonymity. Have the guts to post under your own name!

If you agree with her abusing our forum in this way you are not welcome on my journal.

Makes me laugh the way she sneered at me for taking advice from internet strangers, then gave me advice, when she is herself an internet stranger! So I am going to take her advice and ignore advice from internet strangers, of whom she is one.

Last edited:
I have reported "Felicitys" posts. She isn't a dieter, has only ever posted three messages on MiniMins, all of them abusive. She is a troll who has registered with the sole intention of insulting struggling dieters. If you agree with her abusing our forum in this way you are not welcome on my journal.

Good on you Helena x

I'm not abusing you. I'm telling you the truth. What exactly do you want? People to just agree with you all the time? Course you do. What fool diagnoses themselves with a condition based on what they've read in the Internet?

I'm not a troll. I just don't want to use my usual name to get another mouthful from you. Where have I abused you? You asked for a kick up the arse so I gave you one. You just want people to pat you on the head and agree with everything you spout - no matter how nonsensical it is.

I see Hershey agreeing with you . No idea why ? I actually have respect for her- she's determined , she accepts responsibility for her weight and she accepts she has emotional issues surrounding food. You on the other hand do nothing but moan.

If you want to stay fat then carry on as you are. You'll succeed , that's for sure.

Don't ask for support when all you want is to vent and talk nonsense. I just have said what an awful lot of your readers think

I'm not abusing you. I'm telling you the truth. What exactly do you want? People to just agree with you all the time? Course you do. What fool diagnoses themselves with a condition based on what they've read in the Internet?

I'm not a troll. I just don't want to use my usual name to get another mouthful from you. Where have I abused you? You asked for a kick up the arse so I gave you one. You just want people to pat you on the head and agree with everything you spout - no matter how nonsensical it is.

I see Hershey agreeing with you . No idea why ? I actually have respect for her- she's determined , she accepts responsibility for her weight and she accepts she has emotional issues surrounding food. You on the other hand do nothing but moan.

If you want to stay fat then carry on as you are. You'll succeed , that's for sure.

Don't ask for support when all you want is to vent and talk nonsense. I just have said what an awful lot of your readers think

I have reported all your posts and told you to leave my page. So why are you still here?

But far easier to think of me as some abusive troll than actually accept hard truths Eh? You've no idea who I am but let's just say I'm someone with a lot more nutritional knowledge than you.

Go and have some chocolate instead then.

I'm leaving your page now, don't worry. I've said what I wanted to. You carry on with your ridiculous ideas but do me a favour and stop being so arrogant and dismissing other posters helpful suggestions. And maybe step away from the self diagnosis. And don't tell lies about wanting some straight forward advice and a kick up the arse. You don't

Happy eating!

And best of luck to the rest of you! I read your posts and you're all doing great. I'm not overweight myself but I deal with these issues in my career hence why I felt qualified to say something

I have reported all your posts and told you to leave my page. So why are you still here?

Thanks for the unsolicited PM, Helena.

Unfortunately, you don't get to dictate who visits this public page. I completely agree with Felicityfoxton's posts but I also say that it's really hard to hear the truth sometimes. I don't think she posted anything like abuse - but your first response to her (before you edited it) approached abusive levels.

There are people here who want to help you and support you - but it's tricky when it appears to me that anything someone says that doesn't agree with you is met with this. You're an intelligent woman, you've posted plenty about all your accomplishments, but you can't seem to have a rational debate.

I'm not getting involved in arguments because that is not the reason i am here. I am here to get support and support others. I know how it is to be stuck in a rut but the difference between me and Helena is that i dont come online and talk about it, i just moan to my husband and i have done for the last 2 years until now. Helena's 'moaning' is her way of reaching out and i can read between the lines of her posts. I can see she needs help and tlc, and that's why i am standing by her.

Thats all i am saying.

Helena, you know where I am xx

Back