25 stone to 19 stone in 8 months.

After six months of almost complete physical inactivity, punctuated by episodes of terrible asthma attacks, today I had my first (of 12) sessions with my newly-engaged personal trainer Serena! It was bloody hard to get started, but we walked a mile along the seafront in the brilliant sunshine, and I didn't die! This is for her. Next session: Monday.

Question: how many calories did I burn up walking a mile? I know it's related to weight, and my weight is about 335lb.

Helena

Wow!! Well done Helena that's awesome :)
Mfp should calculate your calorie burn for the walk. Work out roughly how long it took and then enter it into the cardiovascular section of your diary on there :)

After six months of almost complete physical inactivity, punctuated by episodes of terrible asthma attacks, today I had my first (of 12) sessions with my newly-engaged personal trainer Serena! It was bloody hard to get started, but we walked a mile along the seafront in the brilliant sunshine, and I didn't die! This is for her. Next session: Monday. Question: how many calories did I burn up walking a mile? I know it's related to weight, and my weight is about 335lb. Helena
well done!!

That's amazing!! Is she called serena berrett by any chance? Xx

She is the personal trainer of one of my fb friends who also lives in Sussex! I've heard she's very good :) x

What a small world! She's trying to hook me up with a Katie, who lives near me, but I cannot find her on FB.... is that your mate?

What a small world! She's trying to hook me up with a Katie, who lives near me, but I cannot find her on FB.... is that your mate?
yes that's her! Katie Redford! She's lovely :) let me try to get her profile for you x

well done on the walk xx/
Its wierd how small the world can be isn't it .

Hi everyone ... after an absence of a week here I am logging on.

My weight this morning was 332. (The scale, which is almost new, showed 337, then 332, then 337, then 332. Turned it off and on again and it showed 332 four times consecutively.)

This is good news, shows a loss of 2-4lb in two weeks. I'm not sure, cos I was wearing more clothes last time I weighed. But, whatever, I am 20lb down from when I started in August.

I have a "Fresh Start" Plan starting today. I am going to type it into Word, print it and laminate it and keep it on my desk.

Food goals

1800 calories a day. Log on MFP.
Big helping broccoli or other veg with every rice-and-meat meal.
Only chocolate treat to be one Slimfast Caramel (two if desperate).

Non food goals

Take supplements daily without fail.
Drink more water incl fruit tea.
Spend longer in bed.
Have some kind of therapy e.g. reflexology, massage, counselling, osteopathy etc.

Exercise goals

One hour of water aerobics x 1
One mile walking with PT x 1
45 minutes boxing with PT x 1
Chair aerobics with Paul Eugene x 7
Lifting weights on sofa x 6

Last edited:
hi Helena,
Im still here and still love hearing how you're getting on. sounds like a great plan and congrats on the loss xxxx

Thanks everyone for dropping by.

Day One Update

Laid in bed till 10am watching 2 episodes of the BBC Which Diet For You (or whatever it's called).

1030 Granola and live yoghurt and a dash of grape juice 400 calories

One hour water aerobics

90 minutes with an osteopath

Walked from there to the end of his road, then taxi home

4pm lunch two breaded chicken fillets on a huge bed of salad with a drizzle of salad cream, and oil-and-vinegar dressing. 700 calories

Pint of tea

I have 600 calories left for dinner

Just found a fat lady demonstrating yoga for the morbidly obese:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IE1cz0WSZpQ&list=PL8EjS7-nlRBf-aVxG64KP24L2LhO4bbeS

Helena

Great day Helena xxxx

How did you find the BBC Diet programme? I'm a feaster!!! I found it useful to think about the reasons why I overeat, but I haven't followed the diet advice - I should be on low-GI foods (yuck, could never feel satisfied eating those foods, hardly anything I like!!) so instead I combat my feasting instinct by ensuring I have really strict portion control. Interesting that we all have different reasons for being overweight, and makes it easier to understand why we have to all go through this difficult process of finding which diet foods/programme suits us best. anyways, I really hope this plan you're on now is going to be it for you, Sounds like lots of great ideas and lovely to hear you full of enthusiasm. I think you are SO brave for engaging with the personal trainer x

Now I'm off to watch this yoga vid - For a long time I've had thoughts about starting yoga or pilates, so perhaps this will help me get into it? will watch first ...

hi helena
i keep think about the pool aerobics i think i need to this instead of thinking about it lolol

Hi everyone

Oh Claire many congrats on FIVE STONE lost. You put me to shame ... I've only lost 20lb ... 1/3 of your achievement. I feel ashamed at letting myself fall off the wagon for so long.

Mind you, if I am kind to myself, I did go through a winter period of misery, illness, hopelessness, depression; and I needed lots and lots of comfort, and I could not bear to take off my clothes and get in the water. But spring arrived in Sussex on Friday and now it's bare-legs-and-Crocs weather again -- hooray! -- and this has lifted my mood and re-opened the swimming pool to me. The weather, having the courage to engage a trainer, taking St John's Wort (perhaps?) and discovering granola have all contributed to this new "push".

I forgive myself for going off track for three months. In my mind, I shall tell myself that, after losing 26lb, my body need to adjust and rest from dieting. Now I am back to 332, I only regained 6lb overall, so that is hardly a tragedy.

About water aerobics

I first did this over 10 years ago. I was in the pool, and a group of ladies arrived with a trainer in a tracksuit who jumped about on the edge of the pool. I joined the next class and learned the moves, but found it a bit tame and easy. Also, the choice of music was not to my taste, plus I do not like being shouted at and told what to do and when.

After that, I bought my own foam barbells (twice as big and therefore twice the effort as the ones the pool issues) from Amazon price on £10 inc postage! Sorry but they are now £55 but maybe you can find a cheaper brand elsewhere.

Speedo Aqua Fitness Barbells, Charcoal/Red Sport, Fitness, Training, Health, Exercise Gear: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors is a video of how to use themhttp://youtu.be/fwoqNp82tSc

I used them regularly for about 5 years but soon as anything got hard I'd switch to a different movement.

Then I discovered the Speedo Aquabeat and my workouts were totally transformed!

Speedo AquaBeat 2 Waterproof Swimmers MP3 Player presented by ProSwimwear - YouTube

I loaded it with my favourite heavy-beat dance music from the 1950s thru to the 1980s, and I just get in the water and DANCE! I still do all the "proper" aqua-fit moves but they are incorporated within the dancing. The music has transformed the workout because whereas I used to stop the minute it got hard, I now force myself to continue the "reps" until the track is finished.

During my hour I move every part of my body in every possible direction, to the max. For example, I'll stand 3ft from the wall, waist deep, and with the music kick one leg four times to the wall, then four times at an angle outwards, then try four times to the side, then four times behind me right, and four times behind me straight. Then the same with the other leg. Sometimes I fantasise that I am in a dance troupe, and these are our dance moves for that particular song. I do this to the end of the song, then rest for the few seconds between tracks, then for the next song I concentrate on my arms. Again, I encompass every possible way arms can be moved: forward, back, behind me, over my head etc. I also do specific exercises which bend me at the waist this way and that, over and over again for the duration of the track. I do running on the spot, and also go to the deep end and "run" or cycle, or do sweeping, straight-leg wall kicks. I also spend some time experimenting with new moves or just dancing like crazy. It all depends where the music takes me. The music also dictates the speed and the vigour. I find Michael Jackson's upbeat songs like Billie Jean, Beat It, Gotta Be Starting Something hit me right in the mental"dance circuits" and I dance like crazy. Yesterday I had "You Sexy Thing" on my MP3 and wiggled around like the sexiest creature on earth. You really can lose yourself and be anything or anyone you want ... even at 24 stone I feel weightless in the water.

Sometimes (usually after Tiger Feet, which leaves me completely out of puff!) I have a minute rest and observe the other ladies of my age, who are swimming up and down like goldfish using a gentle breast stroke, head always above the water. The thing is, they make the exact identical arm and leg movements the whole time they are in the pool; whereas I am, as I said, moving everything in every possible way and direction. What is more, the goldfish ladies are not getting any cardio.

I find this set up of barbells and MP3 player creates a workout that does not feel like deliberate exercise. It's just me indulging in some wild dancing. This way, exercising never becomes this awful, dreaded chore. I'm NOT exercising, I'm just dancing, which I love!

Everyone who sees me smiles at me and quite a few women have asked what I am up to and asked to "have a go" with the barbells. There has never been any problem with the staff with regard to my wearing earphones and using my own barbells. In fact, the manager has given me my own permanent locker so I can leave the barbells overnight, to save me having to carry them home and back each time.

Helena

Day Two .... perfect. In bed now, kept to under 1800 calories, and zero chocolate. Goodnight x

Back