25 stone to 19 stone in 8 months.

loving the idea of the aqua dancing x i go to the pool twice a week and walk none stop for 40 mins useing my arms as a power walker does, find the water much kinder for my joints than walking 40 mins on land :rolleyes: trying to pluck up the courage to join the weekly aqua fit class x

You don't need to join. Spend your money instead on a waterproof MP3 player, wear it in the pool and dance in a corner by yourself. Cheaper in the long run. There are many on the market, but the Speedo one is fabulous. Try ebay.

your doing great going to look in to buying 1 of these

your doing great going to look in to buying 1 of these

That is a bargain on that link. I paid £40 and £45 for mine (I have two) and that was 5 yrs ago. Grab it!

Have lost 2lb since Friday. Pleased.

Had to have vaginal ultrasound today. Not nice! They stick a big long cold thing smothered in jelly right up inside you to the cervix. Owing to the trauma (and I had to go alone!) I ended up buying two fresh cream Belgian buns on the way home. But that's not the end of the world. I'll just cut back a bit today and try to keep to under 2,000 today.

Walked about 200m to and from bus stops here and at the hospital, and thru the hospital corridors.

Then saw my personal trainer and she put me through hell, so that will have burned off a good 2 to 3 hundred calories.

We did a mini-quadrathlon (sp?): boxing, step-ups onto an aerobics step, lifting 2kg weights from hip to shoulders, and stand-sit-stand-sit-stand-sit, non stop for 45 mins till I collapsed in a wheezing, gasping, exhausted wrecked mess!

Recovered in about 2 minutes and am now rewarding myself with a pint of tea and a long sit down, playing Scrabble on Facebook, where I have been ranked No.1 for the past 10 weeks. Yay me!

hi helena

i hope your ok love and your results come back ok love x x

Helena, I'm in absolute awe of your progress this last week - all sounds so FAB.
Well done you xxxxxxx

Wow so much to celebrate, Helena - well done on the loss and for staying with your PT, that is AWESOME!

Sorry about the examination, that sounds awful - like any internal, but it's over and you absolutely deserve the buns!

And WTG on the scrabble! I'm rubbish at it - but doing quite well on Pyramid Solitaire Saga :D

Chezz ... the technician said she only found one small fibroid, a centimetre across. No tumours, no cancer, no polyps,no cysts.

Bigbear ... thanks for the praise! Congrats (again) on over 5 stone lost.

Susie ... Cheers... buns seem to have added 2lb back <sigh>. I didn't need them and shouldn't have had them :-(

I am now looking into the 5:2 diet, and wonder if really big people with a high TDEE can have more than 500 calories on fast days.

hi helena
im glad they did not find anything bad honey do not worry about that 2 pound it will be off before you know it love so proud of you hun your a star :)

I am now looking into the 5:2 diet, and wonder if really big people with a high TDEE can have more than 500 calories on fast days.

Instead of following the 5:2 strictly, if you want to look into having higher days and lower days then times your daily TDEE by 7, take off your two lower days, say about 800-1000 then divide the rest by 5.

E.g. TDEE 2600 * 7 = 18200 - 2000 (two 1000 days) = 16200 / 5 = 3240

So you'd eat 1000 2 days per week and 3240 for the other 5 - creating a 2000 calorie deficit (obviously you can adjust deficits to create a bigger or smaller deficit over the week i.e. to create a 1lb deficit - 16200-1500 = 14700 /5 = 2940 on your up days)

It's about playing with the numbers. To lose 1lb a week you create that 3500 cal deficit, you could do it in one day (don't) or over 7 or any method inbetween. It's whatever works for you overall in keeping to a calorie deficit (but don't create more than a 2.5-3lb deficit - that's just asking for trouble later down the line).

Forgot to mention and my edit button is pants - daily weighing and fasting = not a good combination. You'll gain weight after following a down and then subsequent up day. So for that reason I probably wouldn't recommend it, knowing that you can be affected by what the scales say on a daily basis.

Instead of following the 5:2 strictly, if you want to look into having higher days and lower days then times your daily TDEE by 7, take off your two lower days, say about 800-1000 then divide the rest by 5.

E.g. TDEE 2600 * 7 = 18200 - 2000 (two 1000 days) = 16200 / 5 = 3240

So you'd eat 1000 2 days per week and 3240 for the other 5 - creating a 2000 calorie deficit (obviously you can adjust deficits to create a bigger or smaller deficit over the week i.e. to create a 1lb deficit - 16200-1500 = 14700 /5 = 2940 on your up days)

It's about playing with the numbers. To lose 1lb a week you create that 3500 cal deficit, you could do it in one day (don't) or over 7 or any method inbetween. It's whatever works for you overall in keeping to a calorie deficit (but don't create more than a 2.5-3lb deficit - that's just asking for trouble later down the line).

Hello Stackhead and thanks for being our resident mathematician! Many congrats on your massive weight loss.

I'm a bit confused now as you are taking 2,400 as my daily calorie allowance, when I'm trying to keep to 1,800. Surely if I eat my TDEE I won't lose any weight, as I won't be in deficit, but maintaining.

According to your "any method in between" theory, I could just compensate for the odd binge day simply by cutting back the next day, rather than the extreme of 2,400 for five days and 500 for two (which I might find difficult on the 500 days).

My report on yesterday's attempt at a 500-calorie "fast" day.

Right from the start I could not stop thinking about food and worrying about what I was going to spend my 500 calories on. I find I keep to a diet better if I don't think about food, so this had the opposite effect.

I had a soup for 100 calories, but by 3pm "cracked" and had a binge on two chicken breasts, diced, dipped in flour and fried. With a bowl of salad I guesstimate that at 800 calories.

But that was still only about 900c, 1000 tops, and I thought, that isn't bad, either, for a first try. I was just about to go to bed slightly hungry at 9pm, when on impulse I splurged 500 calories on a bowl of granola, a banana, and live yoghurt. But that only comes to 1400 to 1500 for the day, so still under for the day (allowance is 1800).

So, if I went over by 300 on "cake day" then I've repaid that, according to Stack's method.

I was at the surgery today seeing the nurse about an unrelated matter, when she saw my leg and called the doctor in to see me as a matter of urgency. She announced that she is "extremely worried" about the massive swelling in my right leg. She said I need to lose a substantial amount of weight as soon as I can, or it is going to cause me "serious problems". This scared the living daylights out of me and I cried all the way home in a cab.

When I got home I realised that she hadn't actually given it a name, but she said keep it elevated above the heart level as much as possible. I don't see how I can, unless I spend my days on the sofa, and I can't do any work or research in that position. She said if it changes colour or feels hot or hurts I should call an ambulance.

Basically, if I don't lose weight my life could be in danger. This is a very sobering thought. This isn't a joke any more; this isn't a "try it" any more. I now have no choice but to stick to this diet for life.

I notice that the anxiety all this produced made me want to eat a humungous amount of something, and that adds to my new theory that I am obese because of being so anxious. I think I have been subconsciously "self-medicating" with food for decades.

Yesterday I ordered herbal supplements to reduce anxiety. I also wondered about buying some kind of protein shake to have as a low calorie meal replacement on days that I'm on my 1800 limit but still want "something" to eat.

The bad news is, despite keeping to 1800 on Monday and 1500 on Tuesday, I gained 2lb each day, and so this morning I am 4lb heavier than I was on Sunday.

Helena

Last edited:
I think Tracy mentioned the book 'Eating Less' to you once before. I highly recommend it. Getting control of your binges and unplanned eating is going to be key for you. It looks like it's definitely a psychological issue around food addiction, as it is with me. I was scared into action too so I know how you feel.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the whole point of the 5:2 diet that your body HAS to go into those starvation periods? Spreading out the calories so you can eat more than 500 a day seems like it wouldn't work?

It also sounds like your swelling could be odema related if she is telling you to keep it elevated. Keep your salt intake low, drink a lot of water (3l) and rest up. I hope it gets better soon!

Hello Stackhead and thanks for being our resident mathematician! Many congrats on your massive weight loss.

Thank you muchly :)

I'm a bit confused now as you are taking 2,400 as my daily calorie allowance, when I'm trying to keep to 1,800. Surely if I eat my TDEE I won't lose any weight, as I won't be in deficit, but maintaining.

I didn't know your TDEE (not knowing your age) I know you mentioned it in a previous post but didn't go looking! So the example is above is just a made up number.

Correct, if you eat your TDEE you will maintain. However, the example I gave was creating a 2000 calorie deficit by cutting down to two 1000 calories per day. My maths may have been off - I was sleepy!

According to your "any method in between" theory, I could just compensate for the odd binge day simply by cutting back the next day, rather than the extreme of 2,400 for five days and 500 for two (which I might find difficult on the 500 days).

That's what I do. I take the week as a whole, and track my calories for the week - as long as I'm under for the week, then yay! Obviously if staying under means having a couple of really low days, I'm not doing that, but if it's a case of pulling back 200-300 calories per day, then I'll do that.

You've got to trust the science behind the numbers. I tracked for an entire year, based on a 3500 per lb rule what I should've lost each week and what I did lose and whilst the numbers weren't right every week, overall for the year there was 0.9lbs of a difference.

I was at the surgery today seeing the nurse about an unrelated matter, when she saw my leg and called the doctor in to see me as a matter of urgency. She announced that she is "extremely worried" about the massive swelling in my right leg. She said I need to lose a substantial amount of weight as soon as I can, or it is going to cause me "serious problems". This scared the living daylights out of me and I cried all the way home in a cab.

Oh gosh, thats awful Helena! I hope you're feeling a little better now?

The bad news is, despite keeping to 1800 on Monday and 1500 on Tuesday, I gained 2lb each day, and so this morning I am 4lb heavier than I was on Sunday.

I can't emphasise enough how much you need to stay away from the scales. You can't rely on them day-to-day. Not only that but you're working out with a PT now, which is going to affect your weight (on an upwards scale) for a couple of weeks. Is there anyway of persuading you to give your plan a go for a month and not weigh for that time?

Stack ~ Funnily enough I had lost my addiction to the scale, and had not weighed for some weeks, when my personal trainer asked me how much I weighed and I told her I did not know. She then insisted I weigh. I still didn't, and she got quite cross the following week and insisted I get out my scale. Since then of course I keep looking every couple of days, especially when I've been really good for a couple of days, and want to see the scale go in the 32-somethings (I mean 329 rather than 330 and up).

Feeling really anxious at the moment. Stomach churning etc.

Helena

It is quite awful of the nurse to scare you like that with out telling you what she thought it was, her advice about redness and heat sounds like she thought you could possibly have a clot in the leg but more likely it is oedema. ( if they seriously suspected a clot they would have sent you to the hospital straight away)
I am suffering with this at the moment and it is causing swinging weights up to 11 lb upwards and downwards through out the day. it is quite likely to be being caused by your increase in activity.
I tried the 5:2 last year, but found the 500 calorie days difficult. I am an emotional binge eater and if i was having a bad day it would just go wrong. What it did do is switch my awareness of actually hunger verses boredom/stress/anxiety etc on and that is proving to be a good thing.

You will find what works for you. as will I xx keep that leg elevated xxx

Stack ~ Funnily enough I had lost my addiction to the scale, and had not weighed for some weeks, when my personal trainer asked me how much I weighed and I told her I did not know. She then insisted I weigh. I still didn't, and she got quite cross the following week and insisted I get out my scale. Since then of course I keep looking every couple of days, especially when I've been really good for a couple of days, and want to see the scale go in the 32-somethings (I mean 329 rather than 330 and up).

Feeling really anxious at the moment. Stomach churning etc.

Helena

Ugh. Next time tell her to bugger off and measure you instead if she wants some aspect of progress. :-D

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins.com

Oh hun that's awful to go through that - but as Broadsbean says, if they seriously suspected a clot they would have sent you to the hospital straight away.

Keep your leg up until the swelling gets sorted! And re herbal stuff for anxiety, i do exactly that - because I eat when I'm stressed too. Now I take St Johns Wort, and 5-HTP at night, and feel much more upbeat for it - although I'm sure my diet of high levels of veg (especially spinach and other green leafy stuff) is really helping my mood too.

Look after yourself, chuck xxx

I was so upset all yesterday because of the doctor's warnings that I rang her in the afternoon and asked her to give me a name for the condition so I could describe it and look up treatments.

She did a complete volte-face, so much so that I actually asked her if she was getting me mixed up with another patient! On the phone she said it's "just varicose veins". That is definitely not what she said in person. They aren't even prominent - I had them much worse when I was 10 stone lighter, in fact. I've encased the leg in a Tubigrip and it feels nice and supported.

Today I started taking raspberry ketones and also Kalms. I'm already taking SJW.

Weight now back down to 332 from 334 yesterday. I just want to see it go back to 330 then I will stop weighing for a week (if I can!)

Today I made myself mop all the ground floor flooring, and sweep the garden, bending double with a dustpan and brush, just for the exercise. I also ate far too much for breakfast, and I feel rather bad about that. I will cut back the rest of the day and end on 1,800, I promise.

Helena

Last edited:
Back