25 stone to 19 stone in 8 months.

Lol - Excellent stuff!

what a lovely gesture from your lodger, she is trying to show kindness with food which if you are anything like me is the last thing you need, but in her eyes you are you and weight doesn't matter. I was party to a very nasty conversation at work once about fat people and after a few minutes commented that i thought it was time for me to leave. people in the group asked why and when i pointed out that their conversation was offensive to me, they were shocked and asked why:rolleyes: so i pointed at myself no futher explanation needed and the comment was that they were really sorry but didn't see me as fat !!!!!!:eek:

As to dietry advice from others it is almost always irrelevent everybody is different. we have different metabolisms and different ways of processing things and eventually we will find our perfect way. It is my opinion that all diets work with or with out exercise, as long as you follow the rules to the letter.
I need a plan that lets me eat because i am a food addict plan and simple, others need more structure.

you need a sign that says eat what you want, and if anybody tells you you shouldn't, eat them x:D

Hi Helena,

Ive had experience of a similar thing this week - people saying it's ALL about excercise,mothers saying it is ALL about diet.
my manager has been very sweet and complimenting me regularly on my weight loss.. BUT she is insistent that I need to start excercisimg (she is a gym fanatic, spinning most days and jogging in lunch break - she is however about 3-4 stone overweight, scoffs chocolate like billy-ho and her weight fluctuates madly).

I (if I do say so myself) am doing a ruddy good job, losing between 0-2lbs a week, which is of course a good steady rate, and most importantly I am doing it in a sustainable way, making long term adjustments to my diet. My manager is just all or nothing and wants to get me out in some kind of TV programme style workout designed to see me almost kills myself. Aaargggghhhhhh!!!

Big congrats on the progress. you're doing so great xxxxxxxxxx

I (if I do say so myself) am doing a ruddy good job, losing between 0-2lbs a week, which is of course a good steady rate, and most importantly I am doing it in a sustainable way, making long term adjustments to my diet.

And how brilliantly it's working for you BB, so keep doing what you're doing and tell your manager to go eat some weights :D

And Helena - WELL DONE on taping up the chocs, that takes guts girl!

Awesome work on the chocolates! Wonder if I can put packing tape on the boyfriends chocolate cupboard....

Your pt shouldn't have been pushing you to exercise injured, there's plenty of things to focus on upper body wise that can raise the heartbeat so to me it shows either her own ignorance or inexperience, neither of which are great!

As for the diet... Every diet works for at least one person. I'm a fan of figuring out your own way. Eat cake or don't, dat carbs or don't. Just don't preach it :-D

You seem to be in a really good place at the moment which is fantastic. Long may it continue!

Thanks for the messages ladies :)

Part of the personal trainer's sign-up rules that I have to agree and sign are that I "must not skip breakfast". But as we are all individuals, this should not be set in stone. Skipping breakfast can be a good way of saving up those calories to splurge on a really satisfying lunch. Also, I find I am often hungrier at noon if I eat breakfast than if I don't. I thought I was unique in this till I heard Dr Mosley say the same thing on TV.

And what does she mean by "breakfast" anyway? All that word means is the first meal of the day, and if I choose to eat it at 12noon rather than 10am what difference can that possibly make to her, me or anyone?

Lost 0.4lb overnight taking me to exactly 329lb today.

This is an "awesome moment" for me, because it means I have lost exactly 3 stones since my top weight of 371.

Also, I am back in the 329's instead of the 330's. I like that!

Also, I decided to change my statistics in the left hand column on here. My real start weight was 371 (26 stone 7). I should never have called myself 366 to 266 but that was because I'd already lost 5lb when I joined this site and so I set my stats at what I was, instead of where I was when I first started. This I now see is a mistake. Always put your top weight, that way your losses look more impressive and spur you on more!

I have put my new short term goal as 21st 5 by 1st July. The reason is, 21st 5 is 299 pounds --- into the 200's! And 1st July is my 57th bday. Is it feasible to lose 2 stone in 15 weeks? 28lb in 15 weeks. That's about 2lb a week.

PT coming at noon and I guess she will make me walk a mile but I've put a Tubigrip on my knee. I'll ask her to bring the boxing equipment to the beach as well, in case I find I cannot walk that mile.

Food

I've done some prep today. Firstly I tipped all my frozen veg into a big pan and added Cirio passata and put this on to simmer for an hour. This will make very low calorie veg soup. Secondly I diced four chicken breasts and put them to marinade in madras paste and hot lime pickle to make the basis for 4 curry meals. I suppose I could even try a portion in the veg soup.

I put out a tin of sardines and a tin of pilchards for my breakfast (300 calories) but half way through I suddenly developed an aversion to them and threw the rest away. Instead I ate one Slimfast Caramel and one Special K Chewy, for 200 calories (plus 150 for the fish) = 350c breakfast. I won't tell the PT as she will hit the roof.

Still feeling very positive and planning to go to aquafit tomorrow. Then I might attempt a 600-calorie day (i.e. start the 5:2 Diet). I guess there is a group on here for the 5:2 and I should check it out.

Last edited:
Session 5 with personal trainer and we walked 1.2 miles along the seafront in the sunshine.

Today I feel incandescent with belief in myself
and my determination to *DO THIS* has never been higher.

:talk017:

Please, PLEASE dear goddesses up in the sky, I beg you to let me keep feeling like this for the rest of 2015. I want to capture this determination and commitment and keep it in my pocket. How can I make sure it does not evaporate like all the other thousand times I've felt this way?

FAB FAB FAB that you are feeling so good hun, and long may it continue!

I agree re breakfast too - if I try and eat straight away in the morning I would just barf it back up (sorry!) - so I make eggs and bacon or an omelette and heat it up at work, usually have it about 10am.

As Stackie says, once you find what works for you, there's nothing to stop you :D

Your PT would really hate me, lol - I don't normally eat until around 2pm. Like you mentioned, I find eating breakfast just makes me hungrier in the morning. :) xx

i rarely eat breakfast first thing, on a work day its often around 11 can't eat at 6:30 am and would rather have the extra few mins in bed :eek:

I usually have lunch around 3/4 on a work day and dinner at 8:30, possibly not ideal but needs must in the real world. i always try to eat earlier when i am off .

I often find dietary advice is all centred round a normal Monday to Friday life style and that can make things a little difficult, i am learning to adapt xxx

I'm another breakfast shirker. If I eat it it's usually a good few hours after I've woken up. I just can't eat in the mornings, it makes me gag, I used to try and shovel some food down before work but it just left me feeling a bit nauseas and then hungry way before lunch time. I imagine once I start exercising in the mornings I'm going to have to have something to eat beforehand or I'll have no energy but think I'll struggle!

I understand why she's saying that, but I'd think it would be more damaging to eat if you're not hungry!

Being a rebel by nature, I love that there are people who break some of the so called rules and still lose weight.... such as

don't eat breakfast
don't exercise
have treats

The only rule seems to be: create a calorie deficit over a month/year and keep on doing it

I felt terrible last night (shakey, nervous, rumbly, weak, scared, weak) and caved in and had a chinese takeaway. The good news is, I really enjoyed it and felt 100 percent better on all counts.

I don't feel guilty. My plan is to cut back today to 1,000 calories (IF i can manage it) and also do an hour's water-zumba which burns off 600c.

If I can manage it, I might try to slow-walk home from the pool. It's a mile, and I have to carry all my wet things in my rucksack. Burns 400c.

Last edited:
losing weight from a much larger start weight means changing the habits of a lifetime and those changes have to be permanent, one of the reasons we fail is that very reason spending the next part of my life never being able to enjoy treats is far to daunting a thought . It has to be flexible and it has to suit our day to day lives if calories are higher one day then we adjust them the next. Guilt is our enemy

The weight loss secret is no real mystery, its calories in must be less than calories required. create a deficit and the body will burn its own fuel (ie fat)
It sounds so simple doesn't it :rolleyes:, this time we will do this !! there will be chinese takeaway bumps along the road or chocolate mountains but we will cross them and carry on xxx

I have taken a positivity pill this morning it seems :eek:

I think your so brave biting the bullet and booking the PT, I have one very local to me and know it would change my life but he seems so brutal and fit !! so I will keep walking until I am ready, and well done you on telling her you aren't happy with the service she is providing and your certainly not on your own regarding poor service I get exactly the same and I truly think if I was slimmer I wouldn't be palmed off with second class services, I may be fat but certainly not stupid, alas that is something I have put up with all my life, but not anymore.

Hope the Chinese was gorgeous, I can't remember having a nice takeaway recently I always feel urggh after it maybe my taste buds have changed dieting for so blooming long..
Have a fab day x

losing weight from a much larger start weight means changing the habits of a lifetime and those changes have to be permanent, one of the reasons we fail is that very reason spending the next part of my life never being able to enjoy treats is far to daunting a thought . It has to be flexible and it has to suit our day to day lives if calories are higher one day then we adjust them the next. Guilt is our enemy

The weight loss secret is no real mystery, its calories in must be less than calories required. create a deficit and the body will burn its own fuel (ie fat)
It sounds so simple doesn't it :rolleyes:, this time we will do this !! there will be chinese takeaway bumps along the road or chocolate mountains but we will cross them and carry on xxx

I have taken a positivity pill this morning it seems :eek:

Yes indeed, Mandy (the not-so-broad bean!) Pass those pills around, please!

I ate 3/4 of the chinese yesterday.

Today I skipped breakfast, and did 70 minutes aqua fit, then walked 1/4 mile to a housewares shop, then another 1/8th mile around the shop.

Finally got home at 1pm and had the 1/4 of the chinese food that was left over. Totally delicious! It's not that much of a "sin" considering that it was breakfast and lunch.

Mind you, I am still hungry so I am having a mug of tea. I can have early tea about 4pm ... home made fat free chicken curry with wholegrain rice and live yoghurt.

Helena

I think your so brave biting the bullet and booking the PT, I have one very local to me and know it would change my life but he seems so brutal and fit !! so I will keep walking until I am ready, and well done you on telling her you aren't happy with the service she is providing and your certainly not on your own regarding poor service I get exactly the same and I truly think if I was slimmer I wouldn't be palmed off with second class services, I may be fat but certainly not stupid, alas that is something I have put up with all my life, but not anymore.

Hope the Chinese was gorgeous, I can't remember having a nice takeaway recently I always feel urggh after it maybe my taste buds have changed dieting for so blooming long..
Have a fab day x

Hello, thanks for dropping by and well done on shifting a stone already! Wow: your BMI drop is also excellent. Keep it up ~ we are all in this together and we will never give up.

It's great that you don't HAVE to exercise to lose weight, but nothing really gets the endorphins following quite like it. Weight loss is 80% nutrition, 20% exercise. For a healthy heart it's more like 50/50. One thing I notice a LOT is people getting hung up on WEIGHT and not health. I know that fat is the thing we want to get rid of, but what about the things we want to GAIN? - a healthy heart, less painful joints, more powerful lungs, a longer more active life etc
When you came back from your training session the other day you were ecstatic and asked how you maintain that feeling - the answer is to keep exercising.

Gained 5lb since weighing 2 days ago.

I thought the Chinese takeaway would be ok because I adjusted calories that day and the next day so that I averaged 1800 per day. Evidently it wasn't. The idea of a life with no treats is just too dreary to bear.

Moreover, my body hurts all over PLUS I feel absolutely knackered out and exhausted, yet all I've done is get out of bed and waddle down to my computer.

The exercise is proving too much for my body. The PT comes again tomorrow so no chance to recover properly.

Osteopath says I have meralgia paraesthetica which needs complete rest <sigh>.

Back