Extra Easy 5 hour lamb!

nikki

yo-yo dieter no more!
A friend gave me this recipe for lamb, which she thought could be easily adjusted to become a slimming world EE meal!

Five hour lamb
1 large leg of lamb
salt black pepper
olive oil (little bit!)
6 rashers of streaky bacon
3 red onions, peeled quartered
3 cloves of garlic
2 handfuls of fresh herbs, thyme, rosemary, bay.
4 large potaoes peeled cut into chunks
1 celeriac peeled and chopped
6 large carrots halved
3 parsnips halved
1 bottle of red wine

preheat oven to 170. In a large roasting tray fry the well seasoned lamb in the oil until brown on all sides.
Add bacon, onion and garlic fry for 3mins.
Add the herbs and veg, pour in wine and 1 litre of water, bring to the boil. Tightly cover with foil. Bake in oven for 5 hours until tender. season cooking liquor to taste.

I have just made this to serve for tea tonight, so will let you know how it tastes:).
I counted the Olive oil as a HEX, and I didn't put in the bacon (didn't have any!) or the celeriac (I don't like it!!) I also only used 350 MLS of wine (12 syns). There is definately enough there to do the 4 of us for 2 meals each(8 servings), so I figure it will be 1.5 syns per portion!
The recipe says to serve with crusty bread, but I plan on reducing the cooking liquer down (I might need to use a few gravy granules to thicken it up, so may be a few more syns!) and serving it with some brocolli and the yummy gravy!
I just hope it tastes good:p.

The best bit.............I don't have to do anything to it for the next 5 hours;)

Last edited:
The lamb was indeed yummy!

The only issue is that because lamb is a fatty meat, the juices were quite oily! I skimmed quite a lot off and it was so goooood when I added a bit of gravy granules and reduced it down LOL, but I think it probably has a few more syns than I first thought!
Well worth making though (even the kids ate it!) and would be great for a fairly low syn meal when you are entertaining!

Back