50 is a new beginning ☺

Find you diary inspiring
our histories seem similar I too was very active I have dogs and would take them all on separate walks and get in about 10 miles most days
I collapsed with bilateral pulmonary emboli and needed a knee replacement - the replacement has not been good but lack of pain is brilliant - so inactivity followed then I was on and off meds that put on weight - I too did give up smoking about 40 a day 10 years ago - but I have a very fractured relationship with food

I went to the doc to get referral for SW which I am just waiting for now then I start
have been writing down some of your meal ideas and wish you well - I am about 17st 7 and am onlu 5ft 3 so I need to lose about 110 pound to be in healthy range - so expecting a long journey

may I ask what exercise you do and when
good luck on the degree I did mine at 39 (oh 20 years ago scary :) )

Hi Aaleigha, thank you for your comments. I'm not totally 100% all the time, but I record everything and try and syn everything I need to as well.

I am no longer a slimming world member, as I kept switching between that and weight watchers and I just kept gaining weight; not the diets I hasten to add, purely my own lack of motivation and commitment. Finally I cancelled my weight watchers membership and rather than re join slimming world and all that involved, I decided to do this food diary. I have last year's slimming world books and I find the syn values by searching on Google, recipes are either from the slimming world site or other websites.

Instead of paying out a monthly subscription I buy the slimming world magazines, as they have lots of ideas and recipes and I find the weight loss stories motivational. I started 13 Jan and I had a quick peek on the scales this morning and I've lost 11.5lbs so far. It's no major weight loss considering my size, but it's been very manageable and I haven't felt restricted in anyway. In fact I find I am policing myself when it comes to bingeing and chocolate, I find I have a debate with myself and so far the sensible me is winning.

Finally, I have gotten around to your question, at the moment I don't do any exercise. Because of the cold damp weather I am suffering with my hips and knees, so I really lack motivation. I am hoping when the weather warms up to start swimming again and if I manage to get to 16st I will start cycling again. I used to cycle to work and back daily, but I'm too heavy at the moment.

Good luck with your slimming world journey :)

Mon 15/2/16

B: green veg smoothie, porridge (HEB), raisins (2)

L: Apple, banana, cheese and ham pasta mug shot (1.5), subway tuna mayo salad with olives (3.5)

D: banana, SW Mediterranean chicken and veg pasta, with mushrooms

S: 350ml skimmed milk (HEA), white chocolate (5.5)

Syns 12.5

Weight loss this week is 1lb, although the scales didn't seem quite sure and flickered between no weight loss and a lb for ages before settling.

Wed 17/2/16

B: green veg smoothie, 2 weetabix (HEB), raisins (2)

L: naked noodle (4), 2 mullerlight yogurts, apple, pear, banana

D: steak, chunky chips, salad and coleslaw, 2 mini dove lollies, half bottle rose wine (44)

S: 350ml skimmed milk (HEA)

Syns 50

Last edited:
Thu 18/2/16

B: green veg smoothie, 2 weetabix (HEB), raisins (2)

L: chow mein large mugshot, 2 mullerlight yogurts, apple, pear, banana

D: SW chicken saag and rice

S: 350ml skimmed milk (HEA), white chocolate (5.5), malteser bunny (8), chewing gum (2)

Syns 17.5

Last edited:
Fri 19/2/16

B: green veg smoothie, porridge (HEB), raisins (2), melon

L: 2% mugshot (2), apple, pear, banana, 2 mullerlight yogurts

D: melon, steak, chips and baked beans

S: 350ml skimmed milk (HEA), chewing gum (1), 4 mini Creme eggs (10)

Syns 15

Sat 20/2/16

B: green veg smoothie, banana, mullerlight Greek yogurt (0.5), wholemeal roll (HEB), egg, bacon, cheese slice (1/2 HEA)

L: 2 mullerlight Greek yogurts (1), pear

D: tandoori mixed grill and mushroom bhaji, pompadom, ice cream (Unknown syns)

S: skimmed milk for tea (1/2 HEA), 4. mini Creme eggs (10)

Syns 50 plus

Today was a disaster. I made slimming world sausage casserole, but put it in my 8 in 1 cooker on 180, I didn't keep an eye on it and it cooked too quickly and stuck to the bottom, burnt. I think cooked a slimming world meal but didn't fine it appetising, so I ended up ordering an Indian takeaway

Mon 22/2/16

OK, so today has been totally off plan because I'm so unwell. I've had 3 mullerlight Greek yogurts, 3 caramel freddos, a small bit, about a fifth of a portion, of chicken balti and rice. I couldn't taste it so didn't eat much. I've had some strawberries, quite a few cough sweets and I'm going to have a greggs sausage roll for comfort and later a punnet of grapes. I'm not synnng as I don't know where to begin.

Last edited:
Tue 23/2/15

Still not feeling any better so another day off plan. I had a mullerlight Greek yogurt, punnet grapes, 3 satsumas, 1 ltr of low sugar orange juice, 4 slices wholemeal toast, half a tub Philadelphia light, baked beans, brown sauce, 3 freddos.

Wed 24/2/16

Lost 4lbs

Another day off plan with a mullerlight Greek yogurt, small fruit salad, 2 bananas, 2 slices wholemeal bread, half tub philadelphia light, half tin baked beans, brown sauce, 2 freddos and 2 packets iced gems.

Last edited:
Thu 25/2/16

Back on plan.

B: porridge (HEB), raisins (2), banana

L: subway chicken tikka salad and mayonnaise (3), mullerlight Greek yogurt (0.5)

D: fillet steak, potatoes and salad, grapes

S: skimmed milk for tea (HEA), highland toffee chew (5)

Syns 10.5

Sun 28/2/16

B: wholemeal roll (HEB), light cheese triangle, 2 boiled egg

L: three cheese sandwich, 500 ml tub cookie dough ice cream, 160g chewy sweets

D: Chinese takeaway, 8 mini creme eggs

S: skimmed milk for tea (HEA)

Syns 50+

Not too good the last few days, but will be back on track Monday.

Mon 29/2/16

B: free yogurt, banana, grapes, Apple, pear

L: large BLT roll

D: SW meatballs and pasta, wholemeal roll and butter, goats cheese, 4 chocolate caramel biscuits, half a large bag toffee popcorn

S: skimmed milk

Syns 50+

It's the 1st March so I'm drawing a line under February. Although I still don't feel normal, I am on the mend and have had a huge appetite, probably to make up for the days when I didn't feel like eating anything. I am also trying to drink 2ltrs of water a day :)

Not good start to spring. Today's the 2nd March and
I have eaten nearly a whole loaf of break with various fillings from, tuna mayonnaise, prawn mayonnaise and bacon. I've eat a donut and a packet of crisps and some chocolate biscuits. I've probably eaten a few other things as well. I would say I'm drawing a line under it and I hope that's true. Why is it that when I fall of track I find it so hard to get back on again. I know that I want to eat all the stuff I've deprived myself of, all those fat enriched takeaways, mountains of sugar in the form of sweets and chocolate. If only I could be sensible and have a blip and get over it.

I fell off the map completely, but onwards and downwards :)

Mon 7/3/16

B: 2 weetabix (HEB), banana

L: Apple, pear, yogurt, subway chicken tikka salad with mayonnaise (3)

D: SW meatballs and pasta with Parmesan (3), mushrooms, grapes

S: 350ml skimmed milk (HEA), 4 mini creme eggs (10)

Syns 16

Back