5th Weigh-in tonight.....

Hi AJ,
Yes, hypothyroidism is an underactive thyroid. Hyperthyroid is overactive thyroid as you can guess.

Yes, I am on medication for life. The dosage depends on your thyroid levels. My FIL is hypothyroid and is on a higher dosage than me.

When I was diagnosed, we were trying for a baby with no success, which is no wonder because my condition can affect fertility and if pregnant, I would be at risk of miscarrying! I went to the doctors because I was feeling generally unwell and I put on so much weight. I took a blood test and the results came back two weeks later. I was so relieved when I knew what was wrong with me.

A couple of months later, I got pregnant - it was unplanned but a lovely surprise!! :D

It's interesting, Donna, that you can go for months or years undiagnosed with this. You just think that you have put on weight because you eat too much. I believe it can be the same for women with PCOS, and that causes infertility too.

It must have been mind-blowing to do a test and find out it was positive. I fell pregnant just over a month after stopping the pill - what a shock that was! I had assumed that it would take six months at least!

Back