7 things a dieter should never say

Morgawr

Silver Member
I have just been over to the official weightwatchers board (I used to WW and like to pop in occasionally - kind of like dropping in on an old friend) and a lady had found the following on the internet somewhere and I thought it may be of interest over here.

7 things dieters should never say
Linda Spangle
When the afternoon tea and biscuits slip into your mouth, using words such as 'cheat' and 'blew it' just push you further into a bad mood. Instead of those old dieting phrases, reinforce your success by substituting these healthier ones.
1. I cheated on my diet. The truth is you can't cheat with food. The word 'cheat' refers to something illegal or immoral, and food is neither of these. Instead, use the words choose or choice to describe your behaviors. You made a choice to eat that biscuit, even if you wish you hadn't. Tomorrow, choose to not eat one.
2. I blew it. Saying "I blew it" gives you an open invitation to eat all evening and start your diet over tomorrow. If you slip up on your eating plan, call it a pause. This soft, non-judgmental word labels a slip up as a minor event instead of a crisis. After your pause, you simply return to your diet and get back on track.
3. I was good. Since eating is not a moral issue, you can't apply behavioral codes to what you do with food. You aren't good when you eat an apple, then bad because you chase it with a few biscuits. And whether or not you stay on your diet has nothing to do with you being a good person.
4. I was bad. So where did you learn that a carrot was good and a brownie was bad? In most cases, you simply draw from a list of allowed or not allowed foods, then chastise yourself for eating from the wrong side. Never describe yourself based on how or what you eat. Just like with the word cheat, instead of calling yourself good or bad, refer to your food choices. Some days you make better choices, sometimes poorer ones

5. I can't. "I can't resist a croissant in the morning or stay on a diet over the weekend." Every time you tell yourself you can't do something, you cement it as truth. Instead of saying "I can't" switch to "I'll find a way." By saying, "I'll find a way to stay on my diet," you strengthen your resolve to make it happen.
6. I have to. People tend to rebel when told they have to do something. The truth is you don't actually have to do anything, including going to work or feeding the dog. You do these things because you want the payoff of a steady income or a happy dog. Try substituting "I want to" in place of "I have to". Saying "I want to lose weight" or "I want to exercise" affirms that you value the payoff of a healthier life.
7. I feel deprived. In a committed relationship, you deprive yourself of dating other people. To save money for a new car, you deprive yourself of eating out all the time. In the same way, to lose or maintain your weight, you choose to make some sacrifices. When everyone else is eating ice cream, tell yourself you aren't deprived, you are blessed.

Use this positive attitude to affirm your commitment to your goals.

Some very wise words there-going to copy it onto my diary for future reference- Thanks for finding it and sharing

I like that.

I read a quote a few years ago that said:

the only difference between can't and can try is your reason why...

cant

w
h
cantry
e
a
s
o
n

that should have lined up, lol

Back