A big day for me

Thank you! It feels ages away at the moment, though: got my "staycation" first!

I feel a bit of a jackass saying "staycation". What's the English equivalent? Home-oliday? I've no idea!

CB. , among the many foods that contributed to my size ( there truly are very few foods I dislike!) the worst , the veryveryvery worst and most addictive was chocolate - so much as my heart ( or tummy) yearns to say YES YES bring me a suitcase-full PLEASE !! my head is thanking you very much but I must decline
But you are allowed some on your holidays, in the spirit of international relations and assisting the Finnish economy of course. xx

Ha! Greatest reasons ever! I was just going to assume the usual one, i.e. because I'm an indulgent idiot, but yours are much better, much more sophisticated!

I have to ask: what are the foods you dislike? Haggis? Blood pudding? Scotch eggs? Brussels sprouts?! xxx

Well, can't speak for haggis 'cos I've never had it to my knowledge : is blood pudding what we in the wild West call black pudding? Comes in a sausage shape, black ( the clue is in the name.....) and you have it in slices with (gasp! be still, my beating heart!) a full English breakfast ? If so, I like that...
After a lot of thought, and dismissing the usual suspects like tripe and chitling (another of our specialities I think) then I really would not eat the following :
Sausage rolls .Tongue. Mussels.Taramasalata.Octopus in any way, shape or form. Kidneys, likewise. Whisky , as a drink or as a food flavouring. That is probably the lot !! How about you, CB ? xx

I'm somewhere between vegetarian and vegan so there is a lot of food I "can't" eat! Of all the things I permit myself to eat, there's not much that I don't. One thing that always seems to surprise people is that I don't like salad dressings of any kind. Give me a plain old crunchy salad any day over some limp leaves drizzled in a vinaigrette which leaves everything on the plate tasting the same!

The only thing on your list that caught me off guard was sausage rolls because sea food and offal are vile in my book generally (that's without taking my ethics into account!) but sausage rolls seem so normal!! Is it the meat you dislike? Or the idea of mixing meat and pastry? Do you like pies and pasties? xxx

I can't rationalise why : I like sausages, and flaky pastry : just the combination seems to turn me off for some bizarre reason ! I don't really like pies (would have a chicken one at a push) but am very fond of pasties.
Know what you mean about the salad dressings - in general I like them, but some are vile and ruin a lovely fresh salad rather than enhancing it. Didn't realise you were borderline vegan : should have had an inkling as read some of your other posts about animals.
We've always had a cat - not always the same one! - but just one at a time, as my husband isn't a fan - and until the current incumbent always fully-grown rescue cats from CPL or wherever. Moggie in residence was an orphan from CPL, but we had her from a kitten, and it's been so lovely watching her grow up and her character form.

Oh yes, I'm all about the animals. I've been vegetarian most of my life and adopted veganism shortly before undertaking Cambridge. I use the lactose-inclusive CD products, as the lactose-free ones made me very queasy, but once I return to maintenance I shall be back on the vegan bandwagon. I follow a vegetarian diet if I'm travelling, because if I don't speak the language it can be hard to get what I want, but that's the only compromise I am prepared to make. I think I'd drop dead from disappointment and heartbreak if I ever found myself even accidentally consuming a product which is only obtainable via slaughter. I suppose I'm not fundamentally opposed to the idea of using eggs or milk to make products (although why we haven't explored the notion of human-based milk products is very strange to me) but I abhor the industries: the welfare, the hormonal injections, the relentless pregnancies, fate of "unnecessary" calves etc. There's a world of difference between hunter-gatherer communities such as the Inuit and our very congested agricultural society. There's a lot of malpractice because we haven't got the same spiritual connection with nature that a lot of indigenous tribes have; our modern lifestyles are very detached from nature and the basic principles of existence.

... Sorry! I just realised I am rambling on now. I can talk at length about topics I don't even care about so getting me started on something as ingrained in me as animal rights is like asking for the extended volume of War and Peace...

How old is your cat now? I have five at the moment: three rescues, one of whom was pregnant and produced the other two! They range between 9 and 2 years old, and in fact it's the nine year old's birthday today. Obviously I'm very pro-neutering, so never in a million years thought I'd get to experience kittens from birth, but it's been amazing. They're exactly the same at 4 years old as they were at 4 months, just a little bigger and fatter. It's also been a good animal psychology experiment for me, to see how these two very contrasting personalities have developed despite having the exact same upbringing and facilities. I can't accommodate or afford any more pets right now, but I love most animals (sorry, snakes) and hope to one day have goats, horses and one of the giant dog breeds, like a Newfoundland or Leonberger. The type of dog where children walk past and scream "It's a bear!" ;)

"Ramble" totally excusable and justified, CB - we should never have to apologise for being passionate about anything (except football).
Martha is coming up to 6 now, but don't know the actual date she was born : happy birthday to your eldest by the way! Love Newfoundlands : the daughter of one of my work colleagues has recently done a sponsored "being rescued from the marina by a Newfoundland" - sure it wasn't really called that, but you know what I mean ! They really are "gentle giants" aren't they. Hope you someday get to have the menagerie you are dreaming of, sweetheart ! xx

:D Aw CB, what a lovely post, your last sentence really made me chuckle! What a lovely goal to be aiming for in the future. I love your passion about animals, never apologise for talking about it!

Back