A Change of Attitude

Mrs Roch

Silver Member
I do hope this post makes sense - just something that went through my mind today... be interesting to see whether some of you agree.:)

I think part of the success of the diet (and believe me I haven't yet been successful :( ) is to completely change your way of thinking - not just about food but about yourself.

When I was at my heaviest after I had my son (17 stone :( ) I gave up thinking about me and to be honest as long as my hair was ok and I had a bit of make-up on and the clothes I wore covered my body and didn't cling to it - that was enough effort... No-one was going to look at me because of my size so why worry :( .

I think a big part of the diet and what keeps you going is actually focusing on yourself and your body and to some degree becoming slightly "self obsessed" which of course is completely alien to some us emotionally and mentally because of the issues our weight posses mentally and emotionally!

I think we should be noticing in a slighly "self obsessed" way the changes in our bodies, how our skin looks, how much easier it is to walk (or stride) up and down the stairs, how our clothes feel... etc. etc

With the miracle of this diet, these changes are happening so rapidly we need to be focused on them - it's what makes me feel good about being on the diet.:)

I vow to look in every mirror I pass...:D :D :D lmao

Yeah Right - maybe when I'm another 2 stone down....:D :D :D

Absolutely agree with you, Mrs Roch - I call it being just that little bit selfish for a while - putting ourselves first (which as women, we're not trained from birth to do!).

We have to take care of ourselves deffo!!

I feel exactly the same!! the only reason i have been the size i am for the past couple of years is because i have been able to get away with people saying 'but you have such a pretty face'. So i was completely ignorant to myself about how i really looked because as long as people think my face is ok then why should i worry about the rest..

But enoughs enough, i want to do all of the things i have wanted to do, and not have my weight stop me! But i completely agree , its time to be much more self indulgence!!

Sorry about this waffled reply, i have gone off on a bit of a tangent! but the long and short is i agree totally

Xxx

I was just the same as you. So long as my hair looked good, and my makeup was in place, I was ready to go!

After losing about five stone, I cautiously bought a full length mirror to be able to see the (almost) new me. I was horrified at what I saw. All those lumps and bumps. What on earth did I look like before? Yet I didn't look, not truly "look".

To this day, almost three years after reaching target, I still peer in the mirror with curiosity. Who is that girl?

I was just the same as you. So long as my hair looked good, and my makeup was in place, I was ready to go!

After losing about five stone, I cautiously bought a full length mirror to be able to see the (almost) new me. I was horrified at what I saw. All those lumps and bumps. What on earth did I look like before? Yet I didn't look, not truly "look".

To this day, almost three years after reaching target, I still peer in the mirror with curiosity. Who is that girl?

I imagine the change is so dramatic, it must still take you by complete surprise when you look in the mirror... your weightloss is incredible and well done you for sticking with it.
:D :D :D

Most of us want such a quick fix answer to our weight problem but I notice you stuck with it for over 18 months but look at the result of your perserverance - really really well done you.
:D :D :D

Hannah I so know wat you mean!! Since I had my daughter its always been about her, shopping for me was functional, clothes were functional not pretty. I was on anti depressants for a few months and in the end thought noone would bother wit me, so why shud I bother....I am starting to think me me me me me now!! I have an appointment to have my hair done on Monday, and I cant even remember the last time I was at the hairdressers!!!!I've spent 6 yrs not worrying about me....so this next yr is mine!!

I feel exactly the same!! the only reason i have been the size i am for the past couple of years is because i have been able to get away with people saying 'but you have such a pretty face'. So i was completely ignorant to myself about how i really looked because as long as people think my face is ok then why should i worry about the rest..

But enoughs enough, i want to do all of the things i have wanted to do, and not have my weight stop me! But i completely agree , its time to be much more self indulgence!!

Sorry about this waffled reply, i have gone off on a bit of a tangent! but the long and short is i agree totally

Xxx

My lovely best friend (size 10/12) who I've been friends with since I was 9 (now 36) has always said that to me "but you've got such a pretty face". I know her intention has always been lovely but weight is so much more than just an appearance issue - primarily a health one and as I'm fast appproaching 40 it's about time I did this for me and my son.

Plus when my friend and I celebrate our 40th's together (birthdays are only 2 weeks apart) I want to be in a knock out outfit looking 40 and not frumpy and looking 10 years older....:D :D

Good for you Kazz.

Blimey you'll feel a million dollars when you come out of the hairdressers on Monday... what you having done?

:eek: i absolutly agree..iv restarted and ive told myself it must be the last time.i think im afraid i wont know who ill be because iv always been overweight.im trying to change the way i think but its difficult when everyone accepts u as being the fat one how will they react you then being the thin one.....something to get your head round but that is where im at.

Agree 100%. Your weight loss has to be the first thing you think about in the morning, and the last thing at night. To be successful you have to be totally self-absorbed, even self-obssessed. Thats why i am not being so successful these days, I have taken my eye off the ball by starting to date again. Finding Mr Right has become my priority, so my weight loss is suffering. Usually i am really good at multi-tasking!! :mad:

You are spot on about being self obsessed the wife is now telling me off for being vane and going over the top with my preening. She said just yesterday "what happened to my scruffy man who didn't care what he looks like".
Well sorry love he has gone.
She is just going to have to put up with a self obsessed hunky slim Sex God.

She sounds like she should have a lot to be thankful for and I'm sure deep down she is...

Agree 100%. Your weight loss has to be the first thing you think about in the morning, and the last thing at night. To be successful you have to be totally self-absorbed, even self-obssessed. Thats why i am not being so successful these days, I have taken my eye off the ball by starting to date again. Finding Mr Right has become my priority, so my weight loss is suffering. Usually i am really good at multi-tasking!! :mad:

Good luck with finding Mr Right.. I found mine on an internet dating site and he really is Mr Right and not just Mr Right Now.... :) :D :)

Enjoy your dates and good luck with your search :)

I loved this post, it is so true, bought clothes because they fitted and didnt cling, not because of what they looked like, I look at clothes now, when im a 14 to 16 and I wonder if they will suit me, and I also value others opinions where I would never have asked for them before.

I am now going rollerskating with DH and DD, would I have ever ever done that before, probably not, and whilst I cant get my head properly round the fact that I cant shop in Evans and that I have lost over 3 and a half stone, I know I can go out there and skate and hold my head up high and smile, because I am not Obese, and I match my DH a damn site better than being the little and large that we always were, I love feeling like this, and I still have a stone or so to go and Ill do it x

Have fun roller skating :) :)

I did that for the first time in over 18 years with my partner at Herne Bay about 5 months ago. It was pouring with rain and we were typical Brits at the seaside on a rainy day so we went roller skating - great fun... :D

Well done on your incredible weightloss and you look fabulous. :D

Back