A diary of a slimming world consultant

I haven't started buying things yet, I'm going to wait until I've had my training as I'm sure they'll guide you on what's best to buy etc...

I've got my list and its all saved in my wish list on amazon. Then once I've had my training I'll be buying! I imagine Poundland is fantastic as well. Think I'll pay that a visit too!

Is it sad that I get excited about new stationery?! x

Not sad at all Hannah lol I spent £6 in poundshop on stickers and ballot tuckers now thats sad lol

I'm very lucky on the stationery front- my hubby runs his own business and has got tons of unused files/ folders that he said I can have :)
As I've been to pre training I've got a list of what SW advise you to buy but I think I'm going to wait until after HO training before I buy much more.

The main thing they tell you to bring to HO training apart from your box of tricks you receive at pre training is pens, notebooks and highlighters oh and a calculator!

I'm going to be starting my reading this afternoon!!

I'm visiting 4 groups this week!!
2 Gold, my one that I WI and the one that I'm taking over!! X

The Range would be another good place for cheap stationary!

Is anyone having second thoughts???? I really want to do this, I know I would be good and I really want to help people succeed with their weightlosses.
But is there going to be too much to do??
I know there will be a lot of promotional work, delivering leaflets on sundays, putting up posters in shops etc, giving old magazines to hairdressers, setting Facebook page, visiting mums & tots group to introduce myself, stuff like that.
And then when group has started, there will be the group night, sending info to head office, stock take etc. Support calls to members, call with TD and meetings monthly & quarterly. Then re-promoting group to increase numbers, calling lapsed members etc
I know this will be time consuming and I am prepared for that, but am I missing other key things that I will need to be doing???
I am getting a bit weary of people saying how much hard work it is??!!
Sorry to sound negative - one of those days - need a kick up the bum!!

Is anyone having second thoughts???? I really want to do this, I know I would be good and I really want to help people succeed with their weightlosses.
But is there going to be too much to do??
I know there will be a lot of promotional work, delivering leaflets on sundays, putting up posters in shops etc, giving old magazines to hairdressers, setting Facebook page, visiting mums & tots group to introduce myself, stuff like that.
And then when group has started, there will be the group night, sending info to head office, stock take etc. Support calls to members, call with TD and meetings monthly & quarterly. Then re-promoting group to increase numbers, calling lapsed members etc
I know this will be time consuming and I am prepared for that, but am I missing other key things that I will need to be doing???
I am getting a bit weary of people saying how much hard work it is??!!
Sorry to sound negative - one of those days - need a kick up the bum!!

Sorry but it really is incredibly hard work!!! its not the initial set up and promotion but that promotion is every 3 months, the group time is great, the paperwork after group doesn't take long, stock take is minutes, in fact the support isn't that much, it's the lack of information you get from members who don't come, then don't respond as to why, the pressure on getting the numbers in, keeping your retention up, keeping members staying to group - SW believe that if you are good at your job the everyone will stay and people only leave because you are doing something wrong.......

Surely it's better to know the work involved before rather than after? Believe me, if I'd known before what I know now........

I'm not for a minute being negative, I love group and my members, but the pressure is intense.

Sorry but it really is incredibly hard work!!! its not the initial set up and promotion but that promotion is every 3 months, the group time is great, the paperwork after group doesn't take long, stock take is minutes, in fact the support isn't that much, it's the lack of information you get from members who don't come, then don't respond as to why, the pressure on getting the numbers in, keeping your retention up, keeping members staying to group - SW believe that if you are good at your job the everyone will stay and people only leave because you are doing something wrong.......

Surely it's better to know the work involved before rather than after? Believe me, if I'd known before what I know now........

I'm not for a minute being negative, I love group and my members, but the pressure is intense.

Thank you Jaylou, I appreciate your honesty and filling in some blanks for me, I really need to hear views like yours as my TD and the other consultants I know are all very happy and haven't got a bad word to say about the role!
I'm going into this with my eyes open, I will give it 100% and if it doesn't work out then it doesn't work out - too bad, at least I will have tried.
Thank you for your insight xx

Thank you Jaylou, I appreciate your honesty and filling in some blanks for me, I really need to hear views like yours as my TD and the other consultants I know are all very happy and haven't got a bad word to say about the role!
I'm going into this with my eyes open, I will give it 100% and if it doesn't work out then it doesn't work out - too bad, at least I will have tried.
Thank you for your insight xx

Yeah, they would be, they want you!!!!!

They are probably very successful consultants who are doing well.
You need to know the other side of the coin though, in case it doesn't go well.
It would be like sending lambs to the slaughter.
I love it, and I'm working as hard as I can to build my group. I had 35 names in my black book, and did an all singing, all dancing prong - but half didn't come on opening night.
There are no gaurentees.
You can have amazing ideas, but when you start getting the door slammed in your face a few times, you'll realise what you're up against.
They don't prepare you for any of that.

The hardest thing is that I feel I'm never off SW duty, you do your support calls & contacts and then if members aren't available they ring you back or ask you to ring them later (usually at my children's bedtime!) then you could get a member call you anytime for support.

It is a juggling act, honestly promotion never ends, yes you've got your 4 campaigns a year but I've been out during the last 2 weekends doing what I can to try to get more through the door as I started a new group and getting new members has been hard, word of mouth is spreading which is fab but only 15 came through my door last week. Then there's the cost of advertising (I had to pay out £100 initially as apparently that was part of my franchise agreement but I've also spent another £70 since hoping it will bring new members in) there's also your weight record sheet homework, planning what you're going to say to members in IT, you have to vary it and keep it lively otherwise members will get bored and not stay. It's pretty structured, you wouldn't notice from watching but IT is in 3 specific stages (more on your training)

Handshakes and downloads too, these don't take long but have to be done regularly.

Sometimes members just don't respond to your contacts, I find that frustrating as I don't know whether to leave them alone in case they feel harassed or to push it cuz they need me to reach out to them, it's courtesy to reply, I wouldn't ignore any messages I had but some members do.

Then there's your consultant development visit you get a lot at first, weeks 2,4,6 etc the feedback for me has been in a separate meeting with my TD that's been about 2.5 hours, it's all helpful stuff but more time out for you. Also your weekly planning for success call, a set day and time to ring your TD and discuss things.

I like the variety and although my group is small they are getting really good average weight losses and I have over 80% staying to IT, however it's getting a bit of a worry that soon there won't be enough coming through to even pay my hall hire cost, I have a fair few with booked holidays over Easter too :( I am trying my hardest and can only hope that it pays off and my numbers pick up!

Well a very good day so far, lost 3b and. My 7st award :) Had a good chat with my consultant as this is first chance I have had since I go word I had been accepted to be a consultant. Between her and his threat I have heard the good and the bad but have no doubts about doing it.

I Know I will be VERY hard work but I also believe I will be very rewarding work. I am not doing this to make loads of money I am doing it to help others do what I have done. THis time last year I never even thought of going to SW and now I am 7st lighter and starting work again after not being able to work since December 2005 due to illness which has taken me a long time to recover.

I have plenty of time on my hands as unlike others have no young children and no job to work around. I am so looking forward to starting training as his is a new chapter in my life, it may be a short chapter or it may be a long book lol

This thread has been invaluable and I am so glad I stumbled across it as I believe I all would be a shock to the system if I had no heard the negative side of things so I could make my decision . I also have the advantage of taking ver a well established class that he TD has been covering since December.

Laura have a long hard think about things and make the decision that is right for you.

Thanks guys, appreciate you taking the time to tell me your experiences, I need to have a good think before Sunday!!
You have to make your final decision at pre training.
They ask for your cheques at the beginning and at the end they ask does anyone want their cheques back? That's when you make the final decision

Actually you do get another chance to collect your cheques and change your mind during day 1 of your training at HO too, they give you one last chance at the end of day 1 when you have heard more about what is involved/expected!

I wish you all well and can't wait to see how you get on, i hope you don't mind but I've just tried to offer some of my real and recent experiences, I don't want to put anyone off but hope you've more of an insight from me and of course all our experiences will be different :eek:)

Well Done Doelani on the weight loss, that is a fantastic achievement :D xx

Thank you all for the insight. I think its better to hear both sides of the story before making a commitment and you have all certainly opened my eyes.
I knew alot of hard work was involved, then at the ops event they tried to let us know a bit more of what was required.
I know they are desperate for consultants, but i also know that not everyone made it through our lot of interviews.

Its alot to take in and for me, its only just sinking in. I have moments when i think "What am i letting myself in for" lol
But i really do think i could make a difference.
I am willing to give it a go and take the ups with the downs, i truely believe my TD will help as best she can but at the end of the day i know it will be mostly down to me and what i do to make it a success.

Taking over a group may not be the easiest option but atleast i already know most of the people i will be helping.
Tomorrow night will be the true test as it will be the first time i will see everyone face to face knowing i will be the consultant they will having in May.

Well I attended my group tonight and there is hardly anybody there- 11 members, 5 were new!

Hoping with the promotion I'll have a really good intake.

Having now seen my room its starting to feel real, knowing it will be mine soon! Been taking photos and drawing diagrams, I want to make a few changes in there.
The relief c is very lovely and helpful and very well organised!
She had this trolley that looks like one of those at an airport but hers folds down as my group is on the first floor so means using a lift so I need to make sure I get something similar for my stuff.

Thanks awaywiththefairies for all your advice, I'd rather have an honest picture of it all so I know what I'm letting myself in for :)

None if it has put me off at all- made me more determined if anything! X

Back