A diary of a slimming world consultant

The online Diplomas's are not to be confused with Easy!!! or did everyone think they were?

There not " easy " in fact a lot of questions are referring to original and green days so I needed to re swot on them , plus I think some of the answers required more than one answer and it said they didn't ( very strange as I'm a woman and never wrong ; ) ) .... Still there all done now and that's one less thing to worry about .....
Now just to crack this new member talk !!!!!!

Thank you

Congrats to all you "newbies" getting through your interviews and looking forward to training dates - such an exciting time for you.

I've taken my 2nd group this week and absolutely loving it! I am on a high from the minute I get there til well past bed time haha!!
I'm thoroughly enjoying every moment - hopefully this feeling will last a bit longer too!

I got extremely apprehensive about halfway through the process......I work full time, my partner & I have hobbies that can often take half if not a whole day at the weekends - which I was not going to give up, I don't have children but I do have a partner who still needs feeding when he gets in from work!!

I was worried I was taking on too much, I wouldn't be able to do everything Slimming World expect but touch wood so far it has been fine.

Promotion:
Leafleting 4 times a year (3000 leaflets a time), if you can get enough helpers you can get it done in a couple of sundays, I had 3 helpers and we split it over 3 sundays (about 4 hours per sunday) just so it wouldn't be the whole day taken up with it. But we could do longer hours and get it done in 2.
Also the school were my group is held put leaflets into the kiddies book bags for me :)
Posters were more of an issue, only managed to get about 25 out, people just don't want to put them up for you!! and postering on lamp posts etc is a big no no here.
Hairdressers & the dentist I left magazines for their customers to read with the group details. You get 20 copies of old magazines within your franchise fee, but you can buy more for 10p per copy.
Adverts in local papers / magazines - artwork is done for by head office, you just email it to the magazine. Shop around for the best price if you have a couple of publications to choose from.
Editiorial - your story. Mine didn't get published in the local paper, but it did get put into the parish magazine!
Banner / A frame - luckily my boss lives on the main road through our village, so he let me put my banner on his fence for 2 weeks prior to opening, otherwise I wouldn't have anywhere for it. I would have just put it somewhere on a Friday night & taken it down sunday night before anyone from the council could take it away!! Risky but I would've done that to get it up. A frame I just tied to lamp post outside tesco & other shops in the village, as long as no one was going to trip or run over it, then left it there all day, picked it up after work.
Community Activities were another poor area for me. Mums & Tots groups are held when I'm at work and I didn't want to take too much time off for this as well as postering, I visited a couple of the main groups and sent posters & leaflets with a covering letter to the rest - not very personal I know, but it was better than nothing!
As I was taking over an existing group I sent letters to all of the "lapsed" members to say I was taking over and inviting them back. There were 44 letters sent and so far I've had 3 come back, so was worth it in my opinion.
Car magnets / stickers can be bought to advertise on your car - I blu tacked posters in the rear windows to save a few quid!!!
All of this promotion takes place over the 15 days before your group opens. It can seem a bit manic at the time, but if you plan carefully and realistically you shouldn't have a problem.

I got my 25 new members by night one and fast tracked, not everyone does and don't be too hard on yourself if you dont. All you can do is try your best, do as much promoting in those 15 days as you can, and what will be will be. My TD was lovely and really understood that I work full time so coudln't get as much done as I would've liked.

My group only had 20 members when I took over, I had 46 pay on my first night (took about £120) and 39 pay this week (took about £80), so not bad money wise but I am getting 40% earnings, if I hadn't fast tracked I would have gotten about £75 & £50. I don't imagine for a second it will always be like this, just enjoying it while it is!!!
So if money is an important factor to you, you need the members, an existing group with a decent number of existing members would be the way to go. If money is not so important, then thats irrelevant - enjoy growing your group at your leisure xx

The time I spend on slimming world stuff at the moment is maybe 2 hours tops on a wednesday, counting money for banking, quick stock take, doing handshake/up load to HO, and looking at & deciding who needs support this week.
Support on a Thursday or Friday takes me about 1/2 hour for texts & emails. Haven't had any that I need to ring yet, so that may increase the time spent slightly.

Training at Derby is fantastic! There is the cost of travelling & the hotel to consider, shop around and book early to ensure you get the best deal.
I'm off up there again a week Friday for days 3&4.

I'm not trying to persuade anyone either way, just letting you know my experience so far.
I wish everyone every success, whether they decide to give it a go or not. You really do have to think about it thoroughly & think about it some more... xx

Thank you for this. I have signed on the dotted line and am in the process of planning my 15 days. I have four friends on different main roads in the town but none really close to the hall. I also have a friend who has a hubby who is a market trader who is letting me put my A frame on his stall at the market in the town im opening in on a saturday and stay and give out leaflets. He is also taking it to the town next door on a Thursday which is popular with locals.

God help me I need 25 people to start getting my money back. Im not in it purely for the money and work 30 + hours a week but i dont want to waste by investment x

Had my interview last Tuesday was wondering if I should start chasing the out come yet or give them a bit more time - I want to know one way or other!!

I'm still waiting too. My interview was on Friday but was told I'd probably hear mid-week to end of this week. I just don't like waiting for anything!

DevonPixie I was like that , I kept waiting everyday for the post ..... Won't be long !!!!

A tip to u all doing exams

Write down what option u chose eg a b or c and if u get the question wrong then Atleast u know it's gotta be one of the others makes things a bit quicker lol

Can anyone give me any tips on how to get through the interview? What questions will I get asked?
They will ask you about your journey so far and why you love Slimming World. Few questions about what you do now for work / family life & how that will fit in with SW. It's very informal, just be yourself. Good luck xx

When you take part in an advertising campaign do you have to pay for more leaflets or is this included in the franchise you purchase?

Your first batch of leaflets for your opening campaign are included in your franchise fee. Further campaigns you have to pay for, currently £36.60 for 3000 leaflets.
As & when you reach your stages (these are based on number of paying members) you get some leaflets for free. You can have posters & postcards for each campaign for free at any time regardless of stages x

Still love reading this thread, despite deciding that it wasn't for me after attending the Opps event!

Good luck to you all x

Your first batch of leaflets for your opening campaign are included in your franchise fee. Further campaigns you have to pay for, currently £36.60 for 3000 leaflets.
As & when you reach your stages (these are based on number of paying members) you get some leaflets for free. You can have posters & postcards for each campaign for free at any time regardless of stages x

Thanks for the info Horsetoffees :)

Well had my pre training... Now can't eat as have too much to do and read... Lol!! 2 brand new groups one venue sorted the other im viewing tomorrow... All good stuff and excited now to get cracking... Lots of things to organise as I go on holiday for 2 weeks soon so need as much done before I go :) hope everyone else is doing ok?

Hi Sarah that was my biggest worry ( had a divorce and my rating must have been red alert !! ) but its very basic as in electoral role and proof of address so please don't worry like I did x

Back