A diary of a slimming world consultant

It doesn't cost anything to go to the op event (apart from childcare and petrol), so it's worth going any way. I found that there wasn't much need for questions, it was more a case of listening. We did introduce ourselves, but the information is so overwhelming, and I felt that they were being honest about the long hours and low pay, that there was little need to ask questions at that point.

I would just like to say, yes it is very daunting when you first start out. The pressure you feel is overwhelming and they dont lie when they say its an emotional rollercoaster and a very steep learning curve.
If you dont fast track it does, at times, feel like you are working long hours for very little return.

The key is to promote and motivate.
Promote to get the numbers in the door and motivate to keep them there.

I didnt start this for the money, being already employed helped hugely. As i didnt fast track my earnings were very low and my husband even made comments such as you work for more hours than it pays.
However, this has now paid off. I am now sitting on 45% earnings, i have 61 members in my group and a retention of between 86% & 98 % in July!! I have raised the group from 38 to 61 and have just achieved Bronze :D

There are quiet times, easter, summer and christmas, i have yet to endure christmas as i have only been in group 13 weeks but this summer has not been as bad as i was expecting. In fact i am going double in September :D

You will get out what you put in. I have to manage my time or i wouldnt get any to myself. I have a fabulous TD and team, supporting me in every respect. I am asked what my targets are and get help to make them a reality. But, if i didnt persist in promotion and motivating, they wouldnt happen at all.

Get yourself known, motivate the ones that stay to group. Word of mouth is a very powerful tool and will definately work in your favour. I didnt do much promoting in May due to work and i still managed to grow my group, all because my members told their friends.

Everybodys experience is different and i can only tell you about mine. But i would not change a thing. My members lost 306lbs this month, since May they have lost 704lbs!! There is no job like it, for me.
Helping so many people to regain control of their eating, lose weight and feel better about themsleves, there is no feeling like it and i get paid to do it :D

I held back from becoming a consultant because i didnt think i had what it takes, some days i still think that but my members success is what keeps me going. I didnt want to pass the opportunity by without giving it a shot xx

I agree with cazwalden. You just have to be prepared that it won't be easy and your life will be consumed by SW and the promotion is tough and there is so much to think about and do all of the time. Like others have said, manage your time. Plan what you're doing and stick to it. And promote! Promote some more! It's worth going to the ops event. This thread made me doubt my decision to become a consultant on many occasions. It gave me a sick feeling that I had make a huge mistake. But I went for it anyway and got through the promotion and leaflet drops in 30 degree heat and have just completed my first group! Which was amazing and terrifying at the same time. I don't regret becoming a consultant at all. There will be times I do but doesn't everyone have a moment like that in any job? My point is do what YOU think is right. Let us know how you go.

What great advice! This forum really opened my eyes to the role of slimming world consultant. Going to the opps event really confirmed that I wanted to go through this journey to become a consultant. You do get out what you put in and it isn't going to be easy to start with but I'm looking forward to the challenge :)

I'm still up for the challenge, I bloody well should be i paid me £1000 up front :) but, and lets face it there's always a BUT, I keep finding out little things the longer it goes on, I was told in the XXXX XXXXXXXX areas there are hardly any Saturday, in their words " there are just 5 in total, morning groups", then when i did a search for my local group on the slimming world home page it says there are 16!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they have either lied to me or they don't know the area that they run?
I'm getting more and more pannicked by these little things, I don't want to start, lose my money, and then have support that are lying to me, if they are lying now, what will it be like when i'm up and running? HELP!!!!

I'm still up for the challenge, I bloody well should be i paid me £1000 up front :) but, and lets face it there's always a BUT, I keep finding out little things the longer it goes on, I was told in the XXXX XXXXXXXX areas there are hardly any Saturday, in their words " there are just 5 in total, morning groups", then when i did a search for my local group on the slimming world home page it says there are 16!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they have either lied to me or they don't know the area that they run?
I'm getting more and more pannicked by these little things, I don't want to start, lose my money, and then have support that are lying to me, if they are lying now, what will it be like when i'm up and running? HELP!!!!

I am of the belief you are not set up to fail. They would not open a group if there was not the population to support it. There is scope for a consultant for every 4000 people. Without it affecting you. What would be the point? They make money from your success too.

Saying that, if you have any doubts, talk to your TD. Explain your fears and get explanations. I am lucky, where i live there is only one more group in the town. There is scope for 11 !!

Ask as many questions as it takes to make you feel comfortable and confident you will be able to achieve what you aim for xx

My advice would be to visit some of those groups, see where their location is , how well they are doing, talk to the consultants.
Find out how much you are needed and if YOU don't feel happy with the day, time place where your group is going to be, do your own research where a group may be needed.
I am saying this as someone who has given it my all, and still doesn't have a big group.
But I love it, and am working very hard to build my group.
Off to do a car boot community event soon.

My advice would be to visit some of those groups, see where their location is , how well they are doing, talk to the consultants.
Find out how much you are needed and if YOU don't feel happy with the day, time place where your group is going to be, do your own research where a group may be needed.
I am saying this as someone who has given it my all, and still doesn't have a big group.
But I love it, and am working very hard to build my group.
Off to do a car boot community event soon.

It's just these little things that keep cropping up, i have visited several other groups none of them are very happy that I am starting on a saturday and where i'm starting right next, and i mean right next to another group who runs on Mondays? most of them are moaning that i will probably take some of their members it just doesn't seem to be a very happy area and i'm being plonked right in the middle of it.
LittleMS the reason i was looking up the Saturday groups was so i could go and visit them and thats when i found them all, LittleMS, will you set up a stall at the Car Boot or just put your A frame and banner out?

Thank you for all your comments about the open opportunity event I am going to go and find out more information I keep arguing with myself about going forward and not going forward but I can't make a informed decision without first listening to all the information and knowing I can back out at any time even on day one training is definitely nice to know, that's if I even get called back to say I'm ready to be a consultant, I read previously in this thread that you get observed as to your qualities as a consultant at the opportunity event I must admit I'm a little nervous about that but will go dressed smart casual and take notes as I'm there as I'm sure I won't be able to lock all the information in my head after the presentation.

Thank you for all your comments about the open opportunity event I am going to go and find out more information I keep arguing with myself about going forward and not going forward but I can't make a informed decision without first listening to all the information and knowing I can back out at any time even on day one training is definitely nice to know, that's if I even get called back to say I'm ready to be a consultant, I read previously in this thread that you get observed as to your qualities as a consultant at the opportunity event I must admit I'm a little nervous about that but will go dressed smart casual and take notes as I'm there as I'm sure I won't be able to lock all the information in my head after the presentation.

Hi Nikki, What they are looking for are people with passion who appreciate what has got them to the stage they are at, intro's and a chat is in the main what an opp's evening is they will tell you what you can expect to be paying out and then they will just let slip what you can potentially earn!
I guess from my point of view i have been a prisoner of my weight and now that i have more confidence i feel that i can get out there and be more of a part of society and this would seem to me to be the next logical step.
I do feel that i have used what part of SW works for me and I haven't gone looking passed that, so i don't know very much about SW propper i have huge gaps in my knowledge :( but as long as they don't mind me learning along the way i don't mind doing it. Good luck mate.

Thank you so much, reading that settles me a little I definitely have a passion for slimming world as when I went away the first time I still followed religiously cooking the same and everything the only reason I gained weight again was due to a pregnancy where my body wouldn't allow me to eat vegetables or fruit (which I hated lol) and I gained 2 stone during that and two days after I gave birth I was back on plan at home and had to wait for the dr to clear me before rejoining a group so sw is a way of life for me, I just don't want to go into the company paying out this amount of money and being run into the ground in 6 months time that's the part I'm most nervous on, I can deal with organisation I'm a list maker and get things done but I just don't want to end up killing myself in the process of helping people as that wouldn't be good for either them or me, I'm not in it to make money as I know I won't straight off and don't expect to as long as I don't get into debt and break even first off I'd be happy to continue until I'd built my members base up enough to earn me some back.

I don't currently drive so that limits me a little although I am learning at the moment too so that's a bonus, but my venue I could possibly take over as my consultants resigned is just along the road where I already know they store her products would discuss and arrange for mine to be done the same way if I'm successful lol bar the PDA laptop and scales obviously

They say u have to drive to b a consultant as there are many many many bags and boxes and cash to lug back and forth to the venue each week

Caretaker,
I had a stall and met up with 2 of the other local consultants. We had leaflets, posters and magazines, printouts of all the local groups, and had quite a bit of interest, and shared the cost.
Nikki, if you make your 25 new members, I think it counts for 2 weeks before as well for a group re-launching, new groups have to have 25 in the 1st night, then you won't be losing money.
With hind sight, I think re-launching is easier, I had a new group, and had 16 new in 1st night.

Caretaker,
I had a stall and met up with 2 of the other local consultants. We had leaflets, posters and magazines, printouts of all the local groups, and had quite a bit of interest, and shared the cost.
Nikki, if you make your 25 new members, I think it counts for 2 weeks before as well for a group re-launching, new groups have to have 25 in the 1st night, then you won't be losing money.
With hind sight, I think re-launching is easier, I had a new group, and had 16 new in 1st night.

I think your right a re- launch is a lot easier especially with people I've actually travelled my journey with and yeah I have to get 25 members across the two groups if I get that far, I would obviously do all the promoting and more promoting and more so I'm hoping I'd be able to get the 25 new members so I could earn the 40% commission rather than the 25% but either way doesn't really matter to me as long as I break even money wise and not lose out I'd be happy to wait 6 months to earn my initial outlay back because its more about the helping people for me, I'm not being naive it's going to be hard work and I'm going to put all my energy and determination in but I also know that might not be enough and in 6 months I could end up burnt out from the stress and pressure but I'm hoping I have what it takes to make it successful.

Oh and as I don't drive your all right it's very limiting eg the training I can get to via train easy enough but coming home as you said with scales, laptop, PDA and some boxes is going to be a mission so I'm going to have to guarantee a car share somehow.

Can you lovely ladies who got that far tell me how and when you found out if anyone in your area was also attending training and how you approached a car/room share if you did please :)

I think your right a re- launch is a lot easier especially with people I've actually travelled my journey with and yeah I have to get 25 members across the two groups if I get that far, I would obviously do all the promoting and more promoting and more so I'm hoping I'd be able to get the 25 new members so I could earn the 40% commission rather than the 25% but either way doesn't really matter to me as long as I break even money wise and not lose out I'd be happy to wait 6 months to earn my initial outlay back because its more about the helping people for me, I'm not being naive it's going to be hard work and I'm going to put all my energy and determination in but I also know that might not be enough and in 6 months I could end up burnt out from the stress and pressure but I'm hoping I have what it takes to make it successful.

Oh and as I don't drive your all right it's very limiting eg the training I can get to via train easy enough but coming home as you said with scales, laptop, PDA and some boxes is going to be a mission so I'm going to have to guarantee a car share somehow.

Can you lovely ladies who got that far tell me how and when you found out if anyone in your area was also attending training and how you approached a car/room share if you did please :)
Nikki, when are you starting your training? Mine starts next week.

I've got pre training on 23rd then up at Derby on 6/7 September. Making the most of not doing much over the weekend as that will all change soon :)

Don't forget its not just the franchise u pay. It's the tax it's the petrol its the hotel costs and food while ur there it's the stationary etc

Ok so just back from Day1-2 training and yippee im now classed as a consultant , my head is exploding ( was expected ) and am nervous excited and raring to go .......
Must say it was a lot easier travelling with Tony ( My con ) and Amanda ( my fellow member ) as we all get on so well ......
Had a great time meeting all the field opps team and sneaking extra stationary and leaflets ( as I said it helps to go with a Gold Consultant lol ) as you get there perks !!!!
Food was amazing in the restaurant and am completely bloated out on fruit lol ......
Loved the Derbyshire hotel and most certainly loved the brekky ( umm might be why I'm bloated lol ).
Gonna spend tom playing with the PDA and start finalising my 15 day plan .......
Now just to master the bloody new member talk !!!!!

Back