A diary of a slimming world consultant

I'm in NR1 up past Ketts Hill so not far! There's a group super close to mine, then there are a lot if others nearby but not really walking distance from my end. So I guess there is room to provide a group on a day different to the one already on offer. Problem is id quite like a midweek one - tues/weds would be ideal really, but do they tell you what day and timr to do it? I'd also prefer an evening one as I find the local daytime ones a lot quiter.

As there's only one group in Nr1 postcode at the moment i'd say theres room for you! My team developer has told me to do a Monday or Wednesday evening, due to the other group in my area being a Thurs, and there apparantly being lots of other norwich groups on a Tues. Evening suits me as kids will be in bed at home with hubby :)

Does anyone else have a Monday group? I feel like it might be quieter than a mid week group, any truth in that?

Ahh really?? Ahhh. I'm not from norwich originally so I should really look at what NR1 is on a map. Its probably smaller than I think it is :) think I know the group your on about on the thurs, its thr only one in that sort of area bar thr one near me on tues...also one in sprowston on a weds.

Ha just looked on a map of norwich - I was well out! There is really nothing in my postcode. And I thought where you were is down the road but that's NR7 lol. Hmmm maybe time to rethink? City centre ones have all been a bit quiet that I've been too, think its the poor parking options. Thankfully I'm not quite in the city so could maybe find a venue with good access. When does your group start? X

Tues and thurs seem to be popular days in norwich. Guess you got to think if you and others would rather weigh in on a fresh week or midweek...I personally prefer midweek but that's as I'm usually free midweek and I hate missing a weigh in, but for people with regular jobs/child are that doesn't really matter so much. Good luck scouting, keep us posted on how you get on! I may just pop in as well as I sometimes work Thursdays and can't weigh at my usual group :)

Thanks Sarah for letting me know a busy Monday group is possible :)
Myself I prefer to weigh in mid week as if there's been any naughtiness at the weekend you have a few days to sort it out before weigh in, and there is the bank holiday complication with Mondays, people may not want to weigh in on a bank hol maybe. I will try for a Wed but might have to be a Mon as most places already seem booked on a Wed.

Venue hunt unsuccessful yesterday, everywhere I viewed had a problem - floor being ripped up and can't be guaranteed finished in time, no parking, not available on the right days, not enough chairs and tables. Gah! Got three more churches in
mind to try today. Problem is im restricted to just churches and community centres as schools are uncontactable as school hols, and I need a venue sorted by pre training which is next Tues. my group will open w/c 7th October. If I can find a venue by next Tues, or else it will all be delayed and the next set of training dates don't suit at all for childcare so need to try for this first set.

Sarahc do you have a venue sorted yet?

DlovesSW - yes I have a venue sorted. It was a struggle as most community centres/church halls already had long term bookings for the nights i wanted. Mine is in a school hall. If I were you I would try giving the schools a call as some of them are open in the holidays.....I thought they would be closed too!

My group is opening midweek as like you say D you have a few days to get back on track after the weekend.

My consultant just runs one early session on bank holidays rather than having two sessions. It's surprising how many people still come along to get weighed so don't let it put you off :) xx

I'm glad you have a venue Sarah! It's such a stress not having it sorted. Need it sorted by pre training which is a week today.
Thanks for the tip on the schools, I have rang 5 in my area today and no answers so have sent them all an email. Hopefully they are still checking their emails.
Rang about 8 more churches and community centres and a hotel, one church answered - not available on the days I need, hotel said the events team would ring me back today but they didnt. Left answephone messages on the other 7 but no-one rang me back. I might go and visit them all in person, but im looking after my baby and toddler as well and would involve lugging them about with me. Gah. Losing faith I will ever find somewhere.

I'm glad you have a venue Sarah! It's such a stress not having it sorted. Need it sorted by pre training which is a week today.
Thanks for the tip on the schools, I have rang 5 in my area today and no answers so have sent them all an email. Hopefully they are still checking their emails.
Rang about 8 more churches and community centres and a hotel, one church answered - not available on the days I need, hotel said the events team would ring me back today but they didnt. Left answephone messages on the other 7 but no-one rang me back. I might go and visit them all in person, but im looking after my baby and toddler as well and would involve lugging them about with me. Gah. Losing faith I will ever find somewhere.

Don't give up! You are doing brilliantly on your own. I was lucky as I had the help of my TD when I was venue hunting. Hopefully the schools you have contacted will be picking up their emails in the next few days. I felt like giving up as the first few places I contacted were already booked on the nights I wanted so I do understand your frustrations. Do you have any gyms/sports centres that may have a hall or room you can hire? Just an idea?? Xx

What area exactly are you looking in? Let me know area/postcode and ill see if I can think of somewhere? Might be worth holding out for the schools - get em early on Monday morning :)

' what about village hall, function rooms at snooker hall/sports club, meeting/conference room, rugby/football clubhouse?

Thanks guys, you are so nice :)
It's NR3, was originally a particular part but now I'd go anywhere! Must have contacted every possible place now I think.
Excellent tip on the schools Sarahc two replied to my email! One already booked on my days but one is a possible and the lady that deals with it is going to get back to me next week as she's on hol this week. Monday is a bank hol so probably get no joy that day but hopefully Tues... Pre training meant to be Tuesday evening if i've finalised my venue so cutting it fine. I really don't want everything to be delayed by a month I really want to get started now! I will have a major mope 6th/7th September if I'm not on that training weekend lol. Received a pack of stuff from SW in the post today like the contact and guidance on writing my editorial (your weight loss story for newspapers) it was so exciting :)

Oh and a hotel got back to me on pricing - they're available but at £100 a night! Don't think so somehow!! A lovely church hall was only £14 for three hours... Perfect apart from not available on the right days, sigh!

Thanks guys, you are so nice :)
It's NR3, was originally a particular part but now I'd go anywhere! Must have contacted every possible place now I think.
Excellent tip on the schools Sarahc two replied to my email! One already booked on my days but one is a possible and the lady that deals with it is going to get back to me next week as she's on hol this week. Monday is a bank hol so probably get no joy that day but hopefully Tues... Pre training meant to be Tuesday evening if i've finalised my venue so cutting it fine. I really don't want everything to be delayed by a month I really want to get started now! I will have a major mope 6th/7th September if I'm not on that training weekend lol. Received a pack of stuff from SW in the post today like the contact and guidance on writing my editorial (your weight loss story for newspapers) it was so exciting :)

Fingers crossed you are successful with the school!

It will be a shame if you are not with us on day 1 and 2 training.

I've got my pre training this Friday....eek!! I just want to get going now but I'm a little scared too.

One thing to be careful with schools is availability 52 weeks a year. Sometimes a school has evening events, and won't have room to accommodate you if it falls on that evening - check that they can find another room in that eventuality, or you could be having to find another alternative without very much notice. x Also ask about if you can have your banner up outside venue as some schools won't let you.

What about working mens clubs in a function room? My class is held in the lounge of the local Catholic Club. Other classes are held at the YMCA, and our local fire station has a function room attached to it which they hire out for parties etc so maybe worthwhile thinking outside the box - i didnt even know about the fire station until a friend told me

Good luck for your pre training Sarahc! Let me know how it goes and what it involved. How exciting. I'm a little scared too, dont worry I'm sure that's normal when starting a new career!

Thanks for the tip littlemissslim I shall be careful of that.

Thanks Texty that was good advice I have found a local function room which may be a go :) (my local fire station doesn't have a function room though lol, worth checking though!)

Good luck for your pre training Sarahc! Let me know how it goes and what it involved. How exciting. I'm a little scared too, dont worry I'm sure that's normal when starting a new career!

Thanks for the tip littlemissslim I shall be careful of that.

Thanks Texty that was good advice I have found a local function room which may be a go :) (my local fire station doesn't have a function room though lol, worth checking though!)

I will let you know how it goes!

The school have advised me that they may have to use the hall a few times a year but they have agreed I can use the main hall which is larger than the one I will normally be using. Thankfully there is no shortage of options as its a large secondary school!

Wow! What an evening I had at my ore-training last night. I couldn't sleep when i got home! Its made me more determined to succeed at this now. Everyone was so friendly and helpful, no question was a silly question and no one was made to feel silly. I now have lots of reading to do before my training at the beginning of September. Got given Secrets of Success manuals plus lots of other tools to help with the 7 prong attack. Just need to finish my editorial and find some before and after photos and then I'm all systems go!

Back