A diary of a slimming world consultant

I wish I had had the full story and the benefit of this thread. I'm not sure why they are not so good comments though, its advice and honesty. It may not be what people want to hear or what we are meant to say, but I truly believe that a lot of stuff is not mentioned or talked about.

I wish all consultants luck, because whilst a lot is down to hard work, luck p,as a part in it - lucky if you get leaflet help, lucky if you get posters up, lucky if you get an editorial, lucky if you don't have massively successful and big groups near you...........

what is the FULL STORY?! the whole thing is making me feel sick. its such a lot of money to put into something if its not right. it cant be that bad can it if so many people do it?

I'm right there in agreement with Jaylou; because I did a promotion all singing and dancing and got 16 new members on my opening night. It was a new group, and I delivered 6000 leaflets, community event, 50 posters, advert, roving A frame, banner on my car outside venue,( because school wouldn't let me put on fence) magazines and leaflets in hairdressers and wedding shops, greengrocers and pubs, and loads of other shops. I had 35 names in my book, but only 6 of those turned up.
I didn't get an editorial, but I had a good go at it! I wish I'd had an earlier group in hindsight, because the 2 groups feed off of each other, and I've had a lot of people ask if I do an earlier group; but I need to get my numbers up before I can have it now. I'm not trying to be negative and nor is Jaylou, just trying to let you know reality so you can hopefully avoid the pitfalls, and have a successful group x

Hi everyone, have not posted in a while but still read every few days. I became a consultant end of April and love it. yes it is hard work, yes everyone has different groups and some are successful right away and some take time. My first week i Had about 80 in a double session, before I started promoting the group there were about 55-60 and. Got my 25 by first night. This week had 135.

Went into this with my eyes wide open due to this thread which I am so glad Rosie started. I took the risk and it worked but like any business it's hard work, you get our what you put in. I am luck I do not have another job, to be honest I do not know how people do it along with a full time job, know I could not give SW the time of effort I do if I worked another job as well with all the training, promotion, meetings etc. personally I would not change a thing about it.

Good luck to everyone thinking about it, ask length of questions even from the team developer /district manager who interviews you, make sure yo have all the info you need before making that decision. Xx

It isn't bad Alice, not at all, there's just a lot more work than I think SW tell you, it really does take over your whole life and house. It's not all roses and isn't as easy as they make out. It is a lot of money, I was lucky I earned mine back in a few months, but a lot have been out if pocket for a long time.
There's the weekly call to your TD, the monthly team meeting for 3-4 hours, the quarterly district meeting (4 hour drive for me round trip), new member calls each week, support etc - do you work? Because that 10-12 hours plus is a lot if time to find!
Littlemissslim, exactly my point, all that work and its not guaranteed is it? The thing is the 7.30 group is the standard, the 5.30 is the add on, even though more people want it.

A lot of people do it, but a lot leave. I would love to know the leaving rate within a first year, cos I bet it's high!!

I will say what I said before though, I LOVE it, but it's bl00dy hard work and don't so it for the money!

Thanks for your advice everyone, i am trying to go in with my eyes open. My group does seem to be quite well established already. i still need to build up the members confidence. Im based in the north west so hopefully if should not take to long to get to head office.

I agree with you Jaylou- it's bloody hard work but I love it :)

I'm doing it for a career change in the future once I've had my babies and can cut down on my hours in full time job.

At the moment, its doing very well- I'm steadily working towards stage 3 and then after that, I want to go double session as I get asked a lot about a 5:30 session.

1 group- double session is all I want until I can give up other job and then maybe take on another group :)

(Must add I'm NOT looking forward to doing Xmas leaflets! :()

Snap! Between both of our very large families, the amount of Xmas meals and parties they put on and work as well, I don't think I'll be doing much (if any) leafleting over Xmas!

Plus I'll be 19-20 weeks pregnant by then so prob won't have the energy anyway!

Hi there. This is my first post. Only discovered Minimins a few days ago by chance. I've spent several hours reading this thread from Rosie original post back in December. It's been very interesting follo wing people's progress and ups and downs.
I'm in the early stages of considering it and reading this has been enlightening! Thank you all.
I'd like to hear how Hannah is getting on and The Caretaker (after his stressful time which I really empathised with).

Hello Clairebear

Welcome
I like you have read the posts right from the beginning - it's a great thread!

Alice - I have heard today that I have been accepted as a SW consultant and start in January with a relaunch of a group which has a relief consultant at the moment.

Excited but with eyes open!
Thanks for your support and advice x

Thank you jaylou

Just heard! Think training will be 1st & 2nd November - anyone else going on training then??

Really excited!! It's going to be a challenge but it's something that I want after having my baby boy 10 months ago and deciding not to return to my stressful full time job. I know I'm not going to earn anything as much money wise but hopefully it will give me some pocket money and get me out and away from being mummy 24/7 as much as I do love it!!!

Thanks everyone x

I've just heard there's an opportunity event at the end of the month that I may go to. Someone I've recently met is a successful consultant and is giving me lots of encouragement. I've lost a stone so far and have another one and a half to go. I'm currently not working having left a long office career due to stress. I'm a friendly caring person who likes helping others so think I would be good with the members. My weaknesses would be maths/ stock control / weight loss planning/tax calculations!!

Last edited:
Thanks Rosie. Still unsure about the whole thing! And today I've 'gone off the rails' and am drinking wine with crusty bread and butter like there's no tomorrow!! Why is it some days you just gotta eat everything you fancy... all in one go!!

Hi Clairebear
i took my husband to the 1st op event I went to - as did a couple of other women! Not a problem at all - they look at things more objectively too (& can take notes!)
enjoy the bread and wine :)
x

Hi clairebare, i took my hubby, but he was the only one. But they do like to see you have good support and also men think differently to us and ask different questions. Some people took friends.

Congrats Ldt fingers crossed for everything, ive got my contract the other day.

Back