A different totm question

Discussion in 'Atkins Diet' started by ransch, 12 July 2011 Social URL.

1. ransch

ransch Full Member

Start Weight:
    16st4lb
    Current Weight:
    14st2lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st2lb
    Lost(%):
    2st2lb(13.16%)
    Diet:
    Atkins (after leaving Dukan)
    Hi everyone. I've been suffering from really heavy periods since low carbing and paid a visit to the gynecologist today to discuss this. Firstly I have to say that doctors here in Germany (well the ones I have anyway) are horrified by the thought of a low carb diet, and come up with the usual stuff, blah, blah, blah.

Anyway, what she has recommended is a 'hoovering' of my womb to remove anything that shouldn't be there. It's a procedure similar to an abortion only I'm not pregnant of course.

I don't know what to do. I have the feeling that the docs here are out to make money so don't always prescribe what's best for the patient and I'm not one for invasive treatment if it's not necessary. Has anyone had this done? Or heard about it as a solution for heavy periods? :confused:

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. Leanne1

Leanne1 Silver Member

Start Weight:
    14st10lb
    Current Weight:
    13st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st3lb(8.25%)
    Diet:
    Low carb
    Low carbing actually caused me to have a couple of periods which is weird as I never have them.
    That procedure sounds drastic! Have they tried other things first?

4. ransch

ransch Full Member

Start Weight:
    16st4lb
    Current Weight:
    14st2lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st2lb
    Lost(%):
    2st2lb(13.16%)
    Diet:
    Hi Leanne. They didn't try anything else, it is a bit drastic I agree! Would you do it or buy some herbs to try first? I've just ordered Susun Weed's herbal from Amazon.

Last edited: 12 July 2011
  5. Maria22

Maria22 Full Member

Start Weight:
    13st6.5lb
    Current Weight:
    11st7.0lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st7.0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st13.5lb(14.59%)
    Diet:
    Exante
    Low carb diets effect us differently... I've changed my pill 3 times now as I kept getting break through bleeds as well as normal on pill break always felt like it was never going to end. Since changing the last time I've been fine it's mainly down to hormones and your body getting all nutrients it needs. What's been suggested does sound a bit drastic as a first option and what about if this procedure doesn't help then what will they suggest???? I'd look around at alternatives first before goingfor what they have suggested then go back and ask about other routes first xxx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

6. ladyfelsham

ladyfelsham Clean green leafy machine

Start Weight:
    24st0lb
    Current Weight:
    22st8lb
    Goal Weight:
    14st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st6lb(5.95%)
    Diet:
    LCHF
    A lot of us get periods that happen more often, or are heavier or last longer - it's to do with low carbing, just not sure how. Wonder if James, our inhouse research scientist, would be up for finding out???? :)

I don't like the sound of that procedure, hun, not at all!

7. cokes

cokes Silver Member

Start Weight:
    13st10lb
    Current Weight:
    12st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st13lb(6.77%)
    Diet:
    eating healthily
    Hi Ransch

I have heard of that for heavy periods. It is thought that the procedure helps to remove as much of the lining as possible and then for some reason it doesn't build up so much again in the near future. I don't think its a cure just a short term solution and it does seem pretty drastic and I would think that unless you are really really struggling/having pain (sorry i don't know) then it may be an option. I had this op after miscarriage, basically they just hoover out everything in there, the op itself wasn't too bad, no pain at all (well I was asleep) and only a little bleeding afterwards. So yes you have a general, and since you're in Germany I don't know about your health insurance and stuff. More info will be out there on the net, I'm sure thats where I found out about it being used for heavy periods

8. ransch

ransch Full Member

Start Weight:
    16st4lb
    Current Weight:
    14st2lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st2lb
    Lost(%):
    2st2lb(13.16%)
    Diet:
    Just found out it's called a curettage in English. The word even sounds painful!

9. Kat1e

Kat1e This is for life

Start Weight:
    17st8.9lb
    Current Weight:
    12st12.8lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st6.2lb
    Lost(%):
    4st10.1lb(26.77%)
    Diet:
    Atkins Maintenance
    I had periods and then long heavy ones. But now my body seems to have stabilised. You might want to wait a bit before anything drastic if you can live with it

Xxx

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.