A "down in the dumps" Newbie

Samalama

I've been a member here for a long time but I don't think I have ever posted.

A couple of years ago I was 17st and went down to 15st 7pounds on Slimming World and then progressively I put the weight back on. I sort of yo yo'd after that, then this past 12 months my weight has gone up to 18st I thought it was because I was on a new birth control pill and so I have come off that just 3 weeks ago.

I then started a calorie controlled diet using myfitnesspal - I've been following just under 1300 calories a day for the past 2 weeks but I've only lost 2 pounds in the first week and nothing in the last week and I am totally down in the dumps about it because on SW I know I lost more in my first week.

Tonight I have really noticed that my bellies (I always think I have two, one above the belly button and one below :p) seem big and that has really depressed me.

I'm sad that after being on only 1300 cals a day I have only lost a couple of pounds .. I'm used to eating so much so I really thought I would have a bigger weight loss on the first couple of weeks and so now I feel a little demotivated.

Not really sure what to do and I've come on here because I felt I needed somewhere to turn to to help me.

A friend thought I may be bloated LOL at this weight and only 5'6" I can't tell if it's a bloated tummy or just the fat!!

Then another friend told me that CC diets don't work for all people why is that? I like following a CC diet because it's so easy to shop for stuff but I do miss the whole eating as much as I like on SW

If it is bloating what can I do to help get rid of that, how do I know for sure about the bloating, will Yakult or Actimel help me?

Anyway I'm just reaching out to you guys for some support and advice....

Hiya welcome to CC.

I am no expert on all this calories malarky but it may be that you are not eating enough believe it or not. There are some threads on the stickys that will help you work that out, or i'm sure someone will be along soon who can explain it to you better.

The best thing i can recommend for bloating is to drink drink drink! I have 4 litres of water/very diluted juice every day. I worked up from 2 500ml bottles a day to 8 :eek: That's been since the beginning of the year though.

Stick with it because it really does work, good luck xxx

yeah I totally struggle with drinking water because I never feel thirsty. I'm lucky if I drink 3 glasses at 300ml a glass a day..... that's bad right?

Yes, you should drink more water, even if just for general health benefits! I can't stand plain water and always have mine with sugar free lemon cordial. Refreshing!

Also yes, try upping your cals - 1300 very low for 18 stone.

Good dieting! :)

Yes, you should drink more water, even if just for general health benefits! I can't stand plain water and always have mine with sugar free lemon cordial. Refreshing!

Also yes, try upping your cals - 1300 very low for 18 stone.

Good dieting! :)

Thanks for the support Michael - it was My Fitness Pal that told me that in order to lose 2 pounds a week I should eat 1300 calories a day, today I have actually struggled with that and have just shoved a 2 finger kit kat down my throat to ensure I eat my daily amount LOL

I log every thing that passes my lips.

I'm not really sure how I can ensure that I do eat more than 1300 cals a day unless I eat more fatty foods, maybe I just don't have my brain around a CC diet as yet?

Hi! I'm pretty new round here too :) With regards to Slimming world, i'm pretty sure that the reason a lot of people put weight back on when they finish is because of the fact that they are so used to being able to satisfy their appetite with all the "free food" so when they can't... that's one of the big plusses I see in cc, the restriction is a good thing - eat less, move more, change lifestyle... that's the only way to get it off and keep it off. SW did not work for me. (I may not be overweight now, but I had a hell of a time getting down from 14 st 7 yrs ago!) A lot of people may find long term success with groups such as sw and ww etc, but it's a case of finding something that works for you. Good luck with your cc journey. :)

Sent from my Milestone using MiniMins

Ive been finding that with CC my losses are a bit erratic :) nothing comes off for days then I have a few days of it dropping off then back to sticking :) no idea why!!! I'd say stick with it for a month then look at what's going on again.

As for the bloating I have a big problem with this!!! Try giving up White carbs (I can eat baked or new pots but not mash tho) and replacing with a smaller amount of a wholegrain alternative. White bread is my personal devil lol a slice can put 4 inches round my tum!!! And force the water down your neck!! It really helps.

Good luck!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Ive been finding that with CC my losses are a bit erratic :) nothing comes off for days then I have a few days of it dropping off then back to sticking :) no idea why!!! I'd say stick with it for a month then look at what's going on again.

As for the bloating I have a big problem with this!!! Try giving up White carbs (I can eat baked or new pots but not mash tho) and replacing with a smaller amount of a wholegrain alternative. White bread is my personal devil lol a slice can put 4 inches round my tum!!! And force the water down your neck!! It really helps.

Good luck!!!!

Hi Legomom

Wow thanks for this advice it's really good to know that I am not the only one going through this.

I've started with the Branflakes this morning and am now on the peppermint tea and yes already on my 2nd large glass of water. Decaffeinated drinks as well.

Thanks again

Are you SURE you've got all your goals and things set right on MFP? Height, age, lifestyle... I'm totally new to CC too, but am 4 stone lighter than you (only cos I've FINALLY lost 4 stone lol) and am on 1200 a day for a 2lb loss...

Are you SURE you've got all your goals and things set right on MFP? Height, age, lifestyle... I'm totally new to CC too, but am 4 stone lighter than you (only cos I've FINALLY lost 4 stone lol) and am on 1200 a day for a 2lb loss...

Absolutely sure and I jut got my colleague who is also on MFP to check it with me. For my current weight, age, height and 2 30 minute work-outs a week it comes out as 1260 per day.

Hello Samalama
You've had some good advice so far. I would add a couple of things.

Firstly, which foods are the 1300 calories coming from. It would be better if they come from fruit, veg, lean meat etc rather than processed foods. Are you cooking stuff from scratch or buying meals in? This would back up the point about being bloated. If your body's getting the right nutrition it should react to 1300 calories by shedding weight.
Which leads to the second point - our bodies go through all sorts of things when it experiences a reduction in the calories being given to it: slowing down the metabolism and bodily processes to conserve energy because it is concerned for survival. As has already been mentioned you can't really predict how your particular body will react by comapring yourself to others - you are unique and wonderful in your own right :)
Whatever you do, don't give up. Just make sure that every calorie you're counting into your body goes in fully loaded with vitamins and minerals too and you will see a difference - not just physically but emotionally and mentally too. Good luck

Yup you raise some good points here I do eat a lot of ready pre-packaged stuff, but mainly they are salads and soups and this is because where I work and the nature of my job this is the most convenient way to eat.

There is usually one day a week where I have only been eating just over 600 calories in one day just because the way the day goes.

I then have a couple of days where I am having a count on us/light choice meal from Tesco's or M&S at either lunch or dinner but I have tried to always ensure that if I am having a microwave meal that I serve it with salad and really try to ensure that my other meal in the day is not processed.

I am eating salad but I think I can eat more and change some of my options around.

I am conscious that it isn't good to not eat all my allowance so that is when at 8pm at night I notice I still have 200 cals to eat and will have a 2 finger kit kat or something.

I need to switch from salmon and prawns perhaps to more white fish

I love chicken but like to have at least one piece of red meat a week as a treat.

Bread is only wholemeal.

I was eating a lot of fruit at the beginning because I was used to it from the Slimming World days but I found that it was eating into my calories probably because the amount of sugar so I am only have very little of that now.

I'm not a big breakfast person but now concerned about the bloating so just bought some Bran Flakes.

I do love my Starbucks cappuccino for breakfast but this is always skinny.

Yes I think I can incorporate more veggies and increase the balance and I will try to do so.

I do love my potatoes though and have at least one jacket in the week and then new potatoes in skins at the weekend.

I shall start a food diary on here and hopefully that will help you all to help me when I have another rough time. I'm 2 weeks in and whilst I am down in the dumps I am not giving up.

^^^^^^ this all sounds pretty healthy an sensible to me. All I'd say is throw some nuts or a seed mix in your bag for that 600 day. They are a good protein source and have all kind of goodies in to keep you going. Plus as they are quite high cal they will stop the day being quite so low. Obviously ready meals aren't the best choice but then they beat grabbing a takeaway on way home!!! I use proccessed foods some days of the week purely as I'm very busy!! And if I didn't I'd either not eat or grab a drive thru so in fact they do help me diet despite the additives!!

^^^^^^ this all sounds pretty healthy an sensible to me. All I'd say is throw some nuts or a seed mix in your bag for that 600 day. They are a good protein source and have all kind of goodies in to keep you going. Plus as they are quite high cal they will stop the day being quite so low. Obviously ready meals aren't the best choice but then they beat grabbing a takeaway on way home!!! I use proccessed foods some days of the week purely as I'm very busy!! And if I didn't I'd either not eat or grab a drive thru so in fact they do help me diet despite the additives!!

Oh that's a super idea on the nuts/seeds, thanks so much:)

This might sound a little daft but do you drink a lot of fizzy drinks? I get bloating on and off anyway but when I started on CC I was so uncomftable it was hard to sleep..I worked out it was because I was drinking fizzy water which I prefer but as I was drinking 2lts a day....Thats an awful lot of gas.. So if by chanse your doing the same or having other fizzy drinks thats possibly the reason for the bloating..

LittleSis said:
This might sound a little daft but do you drink a lot of fizzy drinks? I get bloating on and off anyway but when I started on CC I was so uncomftable it was hard to sleep..I worked out it was because I was drinking fizzy water which I prefer but as I was drinking 2lts a day....Thats an awful lot of gas.. So if by chanse your doing the same or having other fizzy drinks thats possibly the reason for the bloating..

This is actually genius lol !! I don't know why I didn't mention it but DOH!!!

I have a defect in the top of my stomach that means it's almost impossible for me to burp or vomit lol I'd make an appalling bulimic :) in fact I had gastro three yrs ago and was hospitalised as I was retching continually but nothing was coming up :( I tore that many muscles in my middle that I could barely breathe!!
But it means I have to really watch the fizzy pop as the gas can distend my stomach that far it's really very uncomfortable!!! I do still drink it but if you use loads of ice and let it stand for a while so the ice melts and makes it go a bit flat (at home I just put a drop of tap water in) then it's less gassy lol or you could just use more of the vodka than coke.........:)

Yeah I had read that and I was drinking at least one can a day but that was all but I haven't had any fizzy now for 3 days. I am sticking to just still water now. Hopefully that will help.

This is actually genius lol !! I don't know why I didn't mention it but DOH!!!

I have a defect in the top of my stomach that means it's almost impossible for me to burp or vomit lol I'd make an appalling bulimic :) in fact I had gastro three yrs ago and was hospitalised as I was retching continually but nothing was coming up :( I tore that many muscles in my middle that I could barely breathe!!
But it means I have to really watch the fizzy pop as the gas can distend my stomach that far it's really very uncomfortable!!! I do still drink it but if you use loads of ice and let it stand for a while so the ice melts and makes it go a bit flat (at home I just put a drop of tap water in) then it's less gassy lol or you could just use more of the vodka than coke.........:)

Ouch poor you!

I never dilute my vodka so that is all good :)

I went back on to fizzy water yesterday............. Back on flat today :(

Samalama said:
Ouch poor you!

I never dilute my vodka so that is all good :)

Lol I love vodka Tia Maria an coke :) black Russians they r called!! YUUUUMMM

Back