A hint about Ketostix

fantastic idea! thanks so much! I bought my sticks from boots an they cost me almost 9 pounds! so i will definitely be doing this.

Thanks!
£9!!!! you was robbed1 unless there was 100 sticks. normal cost £5.50 to £6.00 for 50. Also £5.50 from your CDC. I'n glad this post has been revived. i read it way back & have been cutting up the stix ever since.
At the risk of tub thumping I wish to add:
Some people report being quizzed by pharmacy staff when buying the stix as to their proposed use. ( you have to ask for them as they are not on the open shelves.) Worse than this they get told they shouldn't have/ use them 'for diets'.
The Stix are principally made for diabetics,but there is NO restriction on their purchase or use. As I tell my CDC clients 'If you want to buy them in order to stick them up your nose that is your right.'
It is my hope thzt one day someone will go into one of these sniffy chemists, request the stix & announce that if you do stick them up your nose it produces psychedelic experiences. I'd like to witness the fallout.

It is my hope thzt one day someone will go into one of these sniffy chemists, request the stix & announce that if you do stick them up your nose it produces psychedelic experiences. I'd like to witness the fallout.

Ooh don't tempt me :D I'd hate it if they quizzed me about why I was buying them. I'm going to keep that idea in mind now. Expect a progress report if I ever come across a stuffy chemist :rolleyes:

Boots are the worst culprits for this.

I've been asked every time what they're for because they don't sell them for use on 'a diet' ... as it happens, I AM diabetic but my response to them was
'If it's any of your business, I'm diabetic. But if we're talking lifestyles here, do you quiz people who are buying paracetamol in case they want them for a hangover??'

I now buy mine from small chemists and haven't had a problem although I'm finding that fewer places are selling them at all since most diabetics use blood sugar monitors.

Ooh don't tempt me :D I'd hate it if they quizzed me about why I was buying them. I'm going to keep that idea in mind now. Expect a progress report if I ever come across a stuffy chemist :rolleyes:
I'm waiting!
Actually it occured to me that if ou wanted to get frog-marched from the shop you could even offer to stick them up their nose.
Boots are the worst culprits for this.

I've been asked every time what they're for because they don't sell them for use on 'a diet' ... as it happens, I AM diabetic but my response to them was
'If it's any of your business, I'm diabetic. But if we're talking lifestyles here, do you quiz people who are buying paracetamol in case they want them for a hangover??'

That's the spirit! There's nothing quite as cathartic as spilling a bit of bile on shop assistants. ( I expect to burn in hell for the sport I've had at their expense over the years.)

I now buy mine from small chemists and haven't had a problem although I'm finding that fewer places are selling them at all since most diabetics use blood sugar monitors.
That's interesting. I thought the blood sugar & urine ketones were used to measure different things. Do the blood tests do ketones & pH now too?

Ah well if all else fails your trusty CDC should carry a stock & if you ask her nicely she'd probably do the nasal insertion at no extra cost.

I went to buy some in Boots today, and the assistant said 'what are they for?' I replied 'why do you ask?' she spluttered for a second, went as pink as I hoped the stick would, then scuttled off out back. Turned out they didn't have any. My local chemist did, and passed them over without batting an eyelid, or asking a question they had no right to ask! You could also say 'sorry, data protection act' and smile sweetly!

I started Thursday, wobbled Saturday, and was pink halfway up the scale :)

Fab idea got my scissors out and gonna get cutting right now !!!! We are in a credit crunch and this will help us save a few pounds as well as lose a few LOL X

Just a quick bit of advice for the men out there that are going to use this tip, make sure you cut the ketostix before you get to the toilet, the thought of peeing and using a pair of scissors at the same time scares me to death :D.

Back