A Kindle question

Maximus

Gold Member
Well, I just love tech/gadgets typical blokey, boys and their toys etc. I've heard them all.

My questions are, not whether to uy or not as that's a separate debate and a previous thread on here convinced me:cool:

3g or not 3g - it is free to use worldwide - ideal for a spontaneous download on holiday abroad, for example.

The main questions involve the cost of books, are there any free books? - do they have to be purchased from Amazon or are there other outlests? finally can you subscribe, such as magaines, newspapers etc.

As you can tell, my knowledge is nil on said topic and I know there are loads of users out there.

Thanks - was going to get ipad2 but still not convinced....

I would never get a kindle. I like the smell of a book, the feel of it, and if you drop it in the bath you just dry it out! Besides you can always throw it at someones head if they p you off lol.
Most android phones come with a e reader! I've got one on my Galaxy S I've downloaded a cople of free books but haven't read them I prefer a "real" book

I would never get a kindle. I like the smell of a book, the feel of it, and if you drop it in the bath you just dry it out! Besides you can always throw it at someones head if they p you off lol.
Most android phones come with a e reader! I've got one on my Galaxy S I've downloaded a cople of free books but haven't read them I prefer a "real" book

I have hundreds of "real books" I love them too. I do not like having to carry dozens of them in suitcases or on field trips etc. plus where's the fun in not having a new gadget;)

Android Schmandroid - I returned HTC for Iphone 4, also have Ipod & touch, but Kindle is better size and screen - dedicated you might say:p

I used to think the same about Kindle, but you know having witnessed them in Florida, it seems I was the only one who never had one lol.

I love my Kindle.I can read while on my trainer can't do that with a book.

Look here for answers

Book Club - MiniMins.com - Weight Loss Support Forum

Thanks for the link:)

Pmsl. ooooohooo lol. I love my Galaxy, but I had to go back to my Blackberry pearl to send understandable txts! people were begning to think I was an alcoholic lol! Oh I love gadgets I'm always getting 'em. My boss's standard question to me after a shopping trip is "Shall I put it in the garage now or wait 2 weeks?"
I did nearly get an Ipad 2 but thought better of it when all I wanted it for was to play Farmville lol

I got my Kindle a couple of weeks ago and I'm a convert. I think you need to have a cover for it that way it feels like you are holding a book rather than it being cold and hard. I find myself getting engrossed in my books in exactly the same way as paperbacks and even find myself reaching to turn the page!

To answer your questions

- there are loads of free books and not just classics - take a look here

Amazon.co.uk: Kindle Popular Classics

- no you are not limited to amazon. I use free software called Calibre that searches for ebook sites selling your chosen book and converts it into a form that works with the kindle

- yes you can subscribe to newspapers and some magazines but the choice is a bit limited from what I've seen. i might be wrong though as this doesn't really interest me.

Personally I wouldnt bother with the 3g option, how often are you going to HAVE to download a book there and then and not be able to wait til you have a wifi connection ;)

If youre going on holiday just make sure you have enough books on it to last you. At the moment I have about 200 on mine.

I was one of the 'you cant beat a real book' school but now, I wouldnt be without my Kindle.

Id definitely recommend getting a cover for it. You dont have to use Amazon, as Circes said, Calibre is a great conversion programme.

I don't know about the kindle but at the beginning of the year my wife got a Be book (E-Book), and she loves it. she reads lots and used to say that you couldn't beat a real book, but she is now a total convert.

It now makes a big difference when we pack for holidays.

She was so impressed that we also bought her mum one for her B'day and she loves it as well.

I swore I would never convert from books to my kindle, but I have! I too loved the smell and feel of books, and still have a house full of them, but somehow the kindle has reinspired me to read even more. Be warned - it's more convenient to read any time any place.

As for 3G, I have it but haven't ever really NEEDED to use it. I just make sure I always have a decent number of books lined up ready to go.

Pmsl. ooooohooo lol. I love my Galaxy, but I had to go back to my Blackberry pearl to send understandable txts! people were begning to think I was an alcoholic lol! Oh I love gadgets I'm always getting 'em. My boss's standard question to me after a shopping trip is "Shall I put it in the garage now or wait 2 weeks?"
I did nearly get an Ipad 2 but thought better of it when all I wanted it for was to play Farmville lol

Now my turn to PMSL! - this is so true with ALL so-called smartphones! HTC or Iphone - my Nokia 3310 remains the best phone for texting lol but hardly cutting-edge gadgetry.

We've all done farmville! - i had to close my FB account as I would never had lost my weight as lived on the thing!

I got my Kindle a couple of weeks ago and I'm a convert. I think you need to have a cover for it that way it feels like you are holding a book rather than it being cold and hard. I find myself getting engrossed in my books in exactly the same way as paperbacks and even find myself reaching to turn the page!

To answer your questions

- there are loads of free books and not just classics - take a look here

Amazon.co.uk: Kindle Popular Classics

- no you are not limited to amazon. I use free software called Calibre that searches for ebook sites selling your chosen book and converts it into a form that works with the kindle

- yes you can subscribe to newspapers and some magazines but the choice is a bit limited from what I've seen. i might be wrong though as this doesn't really interest me.

Many thanks for the reply.

Oh, you know I just want to read The Sun whilst lazing around in Florida - yes probably with a knotted hanky on my head and trousers rolled up moaning "It's not as good as Blackpool"

lol.
Personally I wouldnt bother with the 3g option, how often are you going to HAVE to download a book there and then and not be able to wait til you have a wifi connection ;)

If youre going on holiday just make sure you have enough books on it to last you. At the moment I have about 200 on mine.

I was one of the 'you cant beat a real book' school but now, I wouldnt be without my Kindle.

Id definitely recommend getting a cover for it. You dont have to use Amazon, as Circes said, Calibre is a great conversion programme.

I know that for the xtra £40ish if I didn't get the 3g option as a gadget person I'd beat myself up about it. Besides, I'd order when abroad just for the hell of it ;)

I swore I would never convert from books to my kindle, but I have! I too loved the smell and feel of books, and still have a house full of them, but somehow the kindle has reinspired me to read even more. Be warned - it's more convenient to read any time any place.

As for 3G, I have it but haven't ever really NEEDED to use it. I just make sure I always have a decent number of books lined up ready to go.

Yes, finding time to read is the main factor for me, s'pose I could cut back on forums:eek:

Thanks everybody.

For the record I ordered the 3g version anyway:cool:

Steve

"Oh, you know I just want to read The Sun whilst lazing around in Florida - yes probably with a knotted hanky on my head and trousers rolled up moaning "It's not as good as Blackpool"
Please please not with the jesus sandal AND the socks!! lol

"We've all done farmville! - i had to close my FB account as I would never had lost my weight as lived on the thing"
You're not trying to tell me you've left all your virtual animals to DIEEEE???? How cruel are you? I'm virtually crying here (with laughter!!)
Swap your chair for a gym ball!! It's great and when you get up you fell like you've had a small workout

You make me smile lol

I'm the same as charmel!!! I always said "no way" to a kindle....I love the smell and the feel of a book but I won mine and I love it so much!!!!

Once you're engrossed in the book you don't even notice and it's so much less intrusive than a book i.e. once you're comfortable, however long the book is, it doesn't get uncomfortable reading it (you know what it's like...the relief when you reach the middle of a REALLY thick book!!!)

I myself only have the WiFi version...i just always ensure I've got a nice supply of unread books on it!!!

It does have some functionality for internet use so if you're bothered about that then go for the 3G but for me....reading is escapism. The last thing I want is the distraction of the internet :)

Another question for you users....

Can I only download from the Kindle itself - either 3g or wirelessly?

I have to wait until Tuesday so fancied downloading in advance.

you can download from the kindle store on amazon in advance as well. then just sync the kindle up when you get it :)

Maximus said:
Another question for you users....

Can I only download from the Kindle itself - either 3g or wirelessly?

I have to wait until Tuesday so fancied downloading in advance.

Do you have an iPhone? I buy with 'one click' directly from my iPhone, and the two devices sync without me connecting to any pc etc. In fact, I don't use a pc anymore - I do everything via my iPhone or kindle.

Too many gadgets and way too many Apple products;)

Not sure what you mean at this stage, so will just wait until tomorrow to see what happens when I open it. I assume wifi will be a breeze to set up (if not 3g will do for now).

A few more questions. Does the Kindle do anything else than read books?

Is a case a necessity - 7day shop look better than Amazon for cost;)

Thanks again

Steve

Maximus said:
Too many gadgets and way too many Apple products;)

Not sure what you mean at this stage, so will just wait until tomorrow to see what happens when I open it. I assume wifi will be a breeze to set up (if not 3g will do for now).

A few more questions. Does the Kindle do anything else than read books?

Is a case a necessity - 7day shop look better than Amazon for cost;)

Thanks again

Steve

It is honestly the easiest thing in the world to use! You literally just need to switch it on and off you go. As you've bought it direct from amazon you don't even have to register it (which as I bought mine in tesco, I had to do but still straight forward!)

You're right, wifi is very easy to set up.
The kindle does have a few what it calls "experimental features". Mostly web browsing and text speech - i.e it reads to you.

The web browsing is ok but a feature I personally do not feel adds any value. I have a laptop for that. Plus for me, reading is a form of escapism and I don't want anything to distract me from that. If I wanted my ereader to surf the web etc I would have got an iPad!! I love the simplicity of the kindle and if they start to make it "shinier and smarter" I will simply revert back to plain and simple books as the simplicity of it is what appeals to me.

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

As for the case (I forgot all about it whilst I was rambling....)

I take mine off for when reading but I do have one for transportation purposes....you know what womens hand bags can be like!! Just depends if you'll carry it about a lot really.

And for the record...mine was 7.50 from eBay although no light attached to the case. Not that I'm fussed with the light. It's not like my books have lights on them, an I've managed perfectly for 24 years with them!!

Don't they always?!

Glad to be of help :)

x

Back