A new start

Strelkia

Yesterday I had a consultation about having a gastric band fitted. The surgeon said he wouldn't feel comfortable doing it right now, because he was worried I'd develop other dangerous habits of self comfort and I wouldn't be prepared for the emotional journey a band involves. I've got a lot of respect for him for being so honest with me, and the plan is to have counselling and go back in 6 months.

I don't want to be the same size or bigger in 6 months, I'm sore, my joints hurt, my back hurts, I feel self conscious and none of my clothes fit me. I've taken the decision to do Exante to shed some weight while I wait. I want to get my BMI to just above 25, so I'm still eligible for the band but it means I can be working on my food issues (and self esteem issues) in the meantime. I've lost a large amount of weight on VLCDs before, but don't manage to keep it off so I know the band is a better choice for me. I struggle with portion sizes and I find I frequently feel hungry (unless in ketosis, that's why I love these diets!) so as long as I'm careful, the band will really help with that.

I'm currently at my largest ever (16 stone) and want to get to about 11 and a half to 12. It feels like a realistic goal, and now I know I have to convince the surgeon I can reduce my food intake without going crazy, I think I have all the motivation I need.

I feel way more positive than I ever have about weight loss, and really feel that if I keep the end goal in mind, I'll get there.

Welcome Strelkia:)

You sound very motivated and positive and I have no doubt you will do very well.

Good luck on your Exante journey

Thanks! I'm just finishing day four and feeling ok. I've only had one pack so far so must be in ketosis.

I'm thinking of doing the higher plans rather than the 600 calorie ones, especially since I discovered tesco sell courgette and butternut squash 'spaghetti'. Mmmm!

Good luck. You can do it!

Back