A question about getting saggy *worried*

JestersTear

Silver Member
Sagginess.
It's something I'm worried about...I have loads of weight to lose, still, and am worried that I'll be really really saggy and disgusting.
Has anyone managed to avoid this after losing a load of weight, and if so, how?
..Has anyone needed/had surgery to get rid of excess skin?

As long as you lose at a steady rate and exercise to tone up then you should be fine hun

deffo agree with taz... that's why people who have surgery end up with saggy skin as their body just can't keep up with the weight loss.
Just increase your exercise as you get more able

Yep, as the others say! Losing at a steady pace helps - skin is elastic and should shrink back if you lose weight gradually rather that drastically. Exercise also helps you tone up and lose inches. You can't tone skin, but exercising the muscles underneath helps pull it all back in. Drinking plenty of water hydrates your skin and helps its elasticity, and looking after your skin with loads of moisturiser helps too. I am body-lotion obsessed! I massage it in after I shower in the morning and before bed too. I think the massaging also helps break up fatty deposits/cellulite! Hey, even if it doesn't, it's good for the skin too. And I don't have cellulite :)

And if there's still saggy skin left - wonderpants! :D (for your tum and bum and thighs anyway!!)

I hate the feel of moisturiser on my skin *shudders* which is a pain really as I often suffer from dry skin and psoriasis so I need to be moisturising more than most.
The only exercise I do atm is walking (and even that, not much) so can you suggest exercises that I can perhaps start to do which will help with this?

hi, i was really worried about saggy skin but it is not as bad as i thought it would be. I have to agree with what everyone else has said and also say that i've read in various places that it takes 2months for every stone for you skin to start tightening up, although not sure if this is true mine has improved along the the way!

Oh BTW i have not exercised throughout so feel even more luckier and as Hellie says Thank God for Wonderpants:)

All moisturiser!?! *does not understand* :giggle:
Have you tried body oils instead? Or something really simple like E45, which is easily absorbed and fragrance free. It would help your psoriasis so much. Or you could use a shower gel with loads of added moisturisers, or pop a cap-full of baby oil in your bath. Massaging the skin really helps improve the texture!

Regarding getting active, it doesn't need to be 'exercise' per se. There's loads you can do to just generally fit activity into your day. I do daft stuff like, if I've got things to take upstairs, I take them one by one, so I'm going up and down stairs loads. I get up and march on the spot during ad breaks (OH just rolls his eyes at me!) and I do sit-ups and leg raises before I go to bed!

Sadly,my skin doesn't seem to haved great skin elasticity and so it's a very reall reality for me.

For the vast majority of people it shouldn't be a problem and most areas you can tone up (build up muscle for the skin to attach itself to), however there is one area that no matter how much I tone will not improve!! :sigh: Therefore my doc has referred me for a breast lift.....here's too hoping they consider me a worthy candidate!! :D

My Dr has hinted that a referral might be forth coming when the time arrives, but I'd rather not go under the knife.
It's my belly (and bum) I'm most concerned about...

This is also something that worries me. My skin has stretched to accomodate another person, so when I get to target I will have lost exactly half my body weight. My target is 10 stone.

I was told that doing something as simple as a tin of baked beans in each hand and doing some curls with your arms is better than doing nothing. It won't build muscles as it's not heavy enough, but it will definately tone what's there and will also allow skin to tighten and firm.

I'm joining the toning studio tomorrow as they have toning beds. Although the beds are mechanical, you have to work against them to benefit and firm your body. You go on the exercise bike first, then the treadmill then the toning beds. It's all supervised so you can't do it wrong. I have a medical condition which means strenuous exercise can do more damage than good, but if I ease myself in gently with the toning beds, once my muscles are used to it, I can start pushing a bit harder with the exercise.

I have awful visions of me walking around at target with so much loose skin on my belly that I have to carry it around in a wheelbarrow in front of me LOL. How sick is that?!?!?!

I have awful visions of me walking around at target with so much loose skin on my belly that I have to carry it around in a wheelbarrow in front of me LOL. How sick is that?!?!?!

Not sick at all - it's an image that I share...

I have, only in my head atm, a target of about 10 stone - I'm currently 19st 5lbs and started at 22st 7lbs, so I have a way to go yet. I'm thinking that the sooner I do something to tone myself up, the better?

Not sick at all - it's an image that I share...

It's nice to know I'm not the only one LOL

I have, only in my head atm, a target of about 10 stone - I'm currently 19st 5lbs and started at 22st 7lbs, so I have a way to go yet. I'm thinking that the sooner I do something to tone myself up, the better?

I started at 20 stone and have now lost 4 stone. It's taken me this long to actually have the courage to be able to do something about it. The fears of being too fat to climb onto the toning tables etc etc.. I'm sure you know the score. But I agree, the sooner the better, even if it's just stepping up and down the bottom step on the stairs a few times before you go up them (this is the kind of daft thing I do LOL) or start to go down stairs, maybe 4 steps and turn round and go back up again a few times. But if you start doing bits like this, and the baked bean tins you will start to firm up quite quickly.

One other one to do (I ONLY do this if no one is around) is lay on the floor, knees bent but feet flat on the floor. Raise your pelvis and squeeze your bum cheeks really hard, then release and slowly lower your bum to the floor again. Great for the pelvis, tummy and bum. I did this one time when my 3 yr old was home and she thougt I was a great ship for her to climb on and sail off into the sunset! Grrrrr. LOL

One word of advice... measure yourself now. it might be shocking or upsetting, I know it was for me.. but the slimmer you get, the lower the measurements are and it's really surprising and very pleasing to see inch loss as well as weight loss.

Jestertears and Annie :D

I share you're fears also. I used to be 17 and a half stone and got down to about 12 before but then put some of it back on. Having seen the skin I was left with before I'm dreading losing weight and seeing it again!! I've bought dumbells and do tricep exercises everynight before bed and ab crunches to prepare the muscles.

Annie, let me know how you get on with the toning tables...I'd been thinking about going on them but wasn't sure if they gave any benefit. I've heard about the vibrating plate machines as well (can't remember their name). They're meant to be really good!! Three minutes on them is like an hours work out, apparently :rolleyes:

The best thing to do is just get into a routine of moisturising you'll soon get use to it, if you find the right one it will soak into your skin quickly and wont leave you feeling greasy, also just do more walking and 'tone up' routines and you should find it wont be half as bad as u think, just count the exercise and moisturising as part of your diet.

I watched a programme called Fat Doctors (or something like that) about surgeons in the US who operate on overweight and obese people. One woman - and this is TV, remember, so they pick the most outstanding - had lost weight (still had lots to lose) but her stomach overhung to such an extent it was almost to her knees. An op was the only option as she was in so much pain. Poor woman.

BUT what worries me about today's world is that an op is seen as the answer to not taking responsibility. I admired the woman in the programme because she was dieting and exercising as much as possible and it really helped her recovery. I'm thinking more Kerry Katona here, whose already reported as saying if she puts weight on she'll have another op. Although I have to admit, when I saw there was an op for bingo wings, I was very excited!!!!!

Start doing some simple exercises and you'll be surprised. Although I have two bits of loose skin on my chest that I can do nothing with. Think they were once called breasts lol!

Swimming is a great exercise for toning up your body too! I do breast stroke and find that bingo wings and tum have toned up so much. I have skin problems too and understand about the cream feeling, I dont feel clean after using some creams and even E45 clogs my skin (if you can get what I mean?!!). Im still in search of the ideal cream!

I will definitely need surgery. My thighs look like elephant skin where it's all crepey and same for my stomach and boobs and arms. But I am a chronic yo-yo dieter and that's why. Plus I've been obese since being a teenager so my skin has been stretched for a long time.

I hate the feel of moisturiser on my skin *shudders* which is a pain really as I often suffer from dry skin and psoriasis so I need to be moisturising more than most.

Have you tried the dry oil body sprays? I can't remember where I've seen these, It may have been Avon skin so soft range - it didn't feel like a cream or indeed an oil but really did moisurise!

As for exercise, I swear by yoga and pilates for toning up (and calming the mind!!!)

im starting to feel a bit wobbly and im scared im goin to have lots of loose skin.....i already have really saggy boobs arggggggggggg

Swimming????!!! That would involve being in a swimming costume in front of people??!!!!

I've been big all my life, so my skin's gonna suffer, isn't it? :cry:

I like the idea of a moisterising spray....

Back