A Question for the ladies!

Discussion in 'Slimming World' started by McAsk, 16 October 2009 Social URL.

1. McAsk

McAsk Full Member

Start Weight:
    12st12lb
    Current Weight:
    10st6lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st6lb
    Lost(%):
    2st6lb(18.89%)
    Diet:
    Slimming world
    Has anyone here had a copper IUD (intrauterine device)? and how was it for you?

Im asking as ive recently started hormonal contraceptives and put on 5lbs in 5 weeks. so i was wondering if the non hormonal copper coil is a good alternative! ive spoken to the doc at the family planning clinic and this is what she recommends.

Id really value any comments/advice! coz this weight gain is getting me sooooo down :(

XXxxxXX

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. jaylou

jaylou Gold Member

No, I've had the progesterone coil before with no problems. No weight gain, no periods, no problems! Still got the monthly symptoms but no period - fab.
    Is this what you are on or are you taking the pill?
    You shouldn't gain weight with the mirena coil. The copper coil is only recommended if you have had a child (or it used to be anyway!) but the mirena coil is okay for anyone.
    Hope you get sorted soon.

4. pamella

pamella Full Member

Start Weight:
    11st8lb
    Current Weight:
    10st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st13lb(8.02%)
    Diet:
    green and extra easy
    never had a coil fitted but had the depo in jections for a year and gained a stone over a year.it took 12 months for my periods to return and 2 years to lose the weight and then i was left with fertility problems for years!!

5. ilovelife

ilovelife Wishing and hoping!

i would never have a coil in some people have mis carrages that gives me the willies

6. Relentless_Eating_Machine

Relentless_Eating_Machine Full Member

Start Weight:
    9st4lb
    Current Weight:
    7st10lb
    Goal Weight:
    7st10lb
    Lost(%):
    1st8lb(16.92%)
    Diet:
    slimming world
    Hi - I had the mirena fitted after my 2nd child and have had no probs so far - it's been 5 months now and I get alight bleed for a few days a month, still get the cramps and spots though but no weight gain.

Cheers REM

7. eternity

eternity Gold Member

Start Weight:
    16st6lb
    Current Weight:
    9st6lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st6lb
    Lost(%):
    7st0lb(42.61%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    SW
    I used to have a copper coil. It was fine but periods were long and heavy.
    I then had the Mirena coil to help with the heavy periods, but I found that I did gain weight, had nightmares and headaches and felt generally low- crying at the drop of a hat. These symptoms went after the first few months, but I wouldn't have one again. The only up side to it was no periods.
    The copper one was better.

8. Shaz J

Shaz J Full Member

Start Weight:
    17st8lb
    Current Weight:
    15st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    2st8lb(14.63%)
    Diet:
    Slimming /world
    I had a coil then when i had it removed cos i wanted a baby i had lots of problems (will never know if they were definately caused by the coil) but it took 7 years and 4 miscarriages to get my daughter!

9. Leapfrog

Leapfrog Champion actifryer

Start Weight:
    84kg
    Current Weight:
    71.5kg
    Goal Weight:
    65kg
    Lost(%):
    12.5kg(14.9%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I've had a coil for 15 years - the normal type, not a hormone one. No problems in terms of weight. Periods much heavier on the first 2 days, but only last 4 days max.

10. mumtheshopper

mumtheshopper Silver Member

Start Weight:
    12st6lb
    Current Weight:
    12st4lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st2lb(1.15%)
    Diet:
    WW
    The more I read about this the more I realise it's not just me. I put on 2 stone over 3 years. I stopped in February, and have just had my 1st cycle. I still seem to be absolutely powerless to lose the weight again. To be honest, I only put on weight at times I expected to. Six ounds over xmas, and holidays etc, but instead of being good and losing it afterwards, i bwas losing it and unable to lose it after, so it just kept going on. I spoke to the nurse who says it shouldn't make you gain, but will make it nearly impossible to lose. Well that just means that over time you will gain, because instead iof fluctuating, you only go one way!! Anywy, I came off them in February, had one cycle and still can't lsoe the weight. Hoping I can eventually so really good to hear you did, even if it was a struggle!!

Lynda

11. Caza

Caza Full Member

Start Weight:
    11st9lb
    Current Weight:
    10st10lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st13lb(7.98%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Hi there McAsk

I'm due to have the Mirena fitted in January - I'll let you know how I go on!

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.