A Question for the ladies!

McAsk

Has anyone here had a copper IUD (intrauterine device)? and how was it for you?

Im asking as ive recently started hormonal contraceptives and put on 5lbs in 5 weeks. so i was wondering if the non hormonal copper coil is a good alternative! ive spoken to the doc at the family planning clinic and this is what she recommends.

Id really value any comments/advice! coz this weight gain is getting me sooooo down :(

XXxxxXX

No, I've had the progesterone coil before with no problems. No weight gain, no periods, no problems! Still got the monthly symptoms but no period - fab.
Is this what you are on or are you taking the pill?
You shouldn't gain weight with the mirena coil. The copper coil is only recommended if you have had a child (or it used to be anyway!) but the mirena coil is okay for anyone.
Hope you get sorted soon.

never had a coil fitted but had the depo in jections for a year and gained a stone over a year.it took 12 months for my periods to return and 2 years to lose the weight and then i was left with fertility problems for years!!

Hi - I had the mirena fitted after my 2nd child and have had no probs so far - it's been 5 months now and I get alight bleed for a few days a month, still get the cramps and spots though but no weight gain.

Cheers REM

I used to have a copper coil. It was fine but periods were long and heavy.
I then had the Mirena coil to help with the heavy periods, but I found that I did gain weight, had nightmares and headaches and felt generally low- crying at the drop of a hat. These symptoms went after the first few months, but I wouldn't have one again. The only up side to it was no periods.
The copper one was better.

I had a coil then when i had it removed cos i wanted a baby i had lots of problems (will never know if they were definately caused by the coil) but it took 7 years and 4 miscarriages to get my daughter!

never had a coil fitted but had the depo in jections for a year and gained a stone over a year.it took 12 months for my periods to return and 2 years to lose the weight and then i was left with fertility problems for years!!

The more I read about this the more I realise it's not just me. I put on 2 stone over 3 years. I stopped in February, and have just had my 1st cycle. I still seem to be absolutely powerless to lose the weight again. To be honest, I only put on weight at times I expected to. Six ounds over xmas, and holidays etc, but instead of being good and losing it afterwards, i bwas losing it and unable to lose it after, so it just kept going on. I spoke to the nurse who says it shouldn't make you gain, but will make it nearly impossible to lose. Well that just means that over time you will gain, because instead iof fluctuating, you only go one way!! Anywy, I came off them in February, had one cycle and still can't lsoe the weight. Hoping I can eventually so really good to hear you did, even if it was a struggle!!

Lynda

Back