A question for those on maintenance/management - taste changes?

Flopster

Got a life thank you!
Hi

Something very very very wierd just occurred to me - since going onto Management I much prefer fruit and veg than anything else.

I am not saying I'm an angel - far from it but my favourite foods pre VLCD were crisps, sweets and chocolate and definately Chinese.

I had a chinese the other night and didn't enjoy it (first time ever) and I find I am dreaming about creamy cottage cheese with freshly chopped spring onion and lots of crispy iceberg lettuce (cottage cheese pre-LL made me physically gag, I hated the texture of it). My snack of choice is fruit, I am loving plumbs, pears, satsumas and grapes in particular. I used to hate fruit with a vengence. I couldn't stand it before.

Last night we went to a carvery, I had two slices of meat, one yorkshire pud (not all habits have died on their feet) and masses of cabbage, peas, sweetcorn, carrot & sweed and even more cabbage - it was piled high. I put a sprinkling of gravy on the meat just to moisten it as it looked very dry and not one potato. I thoroughly enjoyed it and if anyone would have told me I would have willingly swapped potatoes and yorkshire puddings for cabbage and carrot I would have thought they were potty but I didn't feel deprived at all and actually really did enjoy it (can you get by this how shocked I am at this revelation??)

So do you think that some alien came and did something to my taste buds whilst I was on the VLCD or have other people noticed a significant change in their tastes?

I would be really interested to hear your experiences of any changes in taste you may have had.

Umm. Well, yes it did change for a while.

I still love fruit and veg much more than I ever did, but unfortunately my love of unhealthy food did return :(

That's just me though. Maybe others have different experiences.

i decided last night to treat myself to a B52 and bought miniatures of baileys, kahula and cointreau and expectantly waited for this treat, but when i made it i hated it, i was gutted, hubby had a jam doughnut yesterday and i had a nibble and it was disgusting like eating a spoonful of sugar, bleugh, i spat it out into the bin, i also dont like curries now too greasy, its wonderful ,

Your tastebuds do change, after all you've done a major detox on yourself, given your tastebuds a rest from all the crap and you will find the things you used to love just don't appeal or taste the same anymore. I still can't eat anything too sweet as it taste disgusting, and anything with too much fat gives me a bad stomach. However, a word of warning, you can wean yourself back onto these bad foods, and I'm now quite capable of scoffing a danish pastry with my coffee without any problems!! And I'm doing it too often, so be warned, bad habits can be resumed with a little work:eek:

Take care & enjoying eating healthily.:)

I guess it is a bit like when you stop smoking and after a couple of months you decide to have one and it taste horrible, so you go back again and have another one just to make sure:rolleyes: Finally your back where you started.

I know my taste buds have changed and I actually prefer CD bars to mars bars:eek:

Love Mini xxx

I guess it is a bit like when you stop smoking and after a couple of months you decide to have one and it taste horrible, so you go back again and have another one just to make sure:rolleyes: Finally your back where you started.

I know my taste buds have changed and I actually prefer CD bars to mars bars:eek:

Love Mini xxx

Mini, thank you so much, that makes so very much sense to me, and is incredibly helpful. I am going to try so hard not to go back there but I know that is easier said than done.

I have struggled big time tonight (PMT) so am going to have to be mega careful the rest of the week.

I'm not going to retrain my taste buds if I can help it.

Thank you.

Your tastebuds do change, after all you've done a major detox on yourself, given your tastebuds a rest from all the crap and you will find the things you used to love just don't appeal or taste the same anymore. I still can't eat anything too sweet as it taste disgusting, and anything with too much fat gives me a bad stomach. However, a word of warning, you can wean yourself back onto these bad foods, and I'm now quite capable of scoffing a danish pastry with my coffee without any problems!! And I'm doing it too often, so be warned, bad habits can be resumed with a little work:eek:

Take care & enjoying eating healthily.:)

Thanks for replying, I just didn't expect to come out the other side of the detox enjoying fruit and veg, I just never thought I could be converted. Sadly my love of crisps seems to be the same though :rolleyes:

I am going to take your warning on board and try hard not to wean myself back on to the bad foods - after a mini binge tonight I feel seriously sick and don't want to go back to this bloated feeling at all.

Thanks again.

i decided last night to treat myself to a B52 and bought miniatures of baileys, kahula and cointreau and expectantly waited for this treat, but when i made it i hated it, i was gutted, hubby had a jam doughnut yesterday and i had a nibble and it was disgusting like eating a spoonful of sugar, bleugh, i spat it out into the bin, i also dont like curries now too greasy, its wonderful ,

No I tried a curry and didn't enjoy it, don't fancy the donuts (the kids have had a few times) and chinese I could taste the MSG and grease - yuk.

I am definately craving a Baileys and am going to avoid at all costs (saying that I have my Xmas do next week and plan on a couple then :D ).

Thanks for replying.

Umm. Well, yes it did change for a while.

I still love fruit and veg much more than I ever did, but unfortunately my love of unhealthy food did return :(

That's just me though. Maybe others have different experiences.

Thanks Karion, some of the replies above seem to make complete sense on why your love of unhealthy food returns. I know I'm not "cured" this is going to be a life long battle as I am sure it is for everyone, I just have to cling on to this enjoyment of my new foods for dear life and hope not to do too much damage with the mini binges I keep having - a habit I am desparate to get out of.

That's so true. I have 'fallen' so many times in the past. Buy myself a pack of 10 after a long quit, try one...hate it....feel cheated because I want to enjoy it, and know that I need a few more to get that taste. Then of course, I can throw away the rest. That would be wasteful:rolleyes:

This time I haven't had a puff, but I know I've failed so many times in the past...I don't hold out much hope. Just taking each day as it comes and knowing that each one I complete without a fag is a bonus.

I am going to take your warning on board and try hard not to wean myself back on to the bad foods - after a mini binge tonight I feel seriously sick and don't want to go back to this bloated feeling at all.
Good on ya. It's a horrible feeling isn't it, and even worse when you aren't really enjoying what your eating. I don't think I've fully gone back to my former days with my tastebuds. There's some foods that now taste too salty, sweet or just plain tasteless.

Even after all this time, I feel like I've got a long way to go. Making time to enjoy what I'm eating seems to be my biggest problem at the moment. I'm back to eating while I'm working and not noticing what I've ate or what it taste like.

In a way, I'm not too sure that's a really bad thing. Guess I'm just eating to live, rather than eating because I enjoy eating. (Looking at the positive side here :D)

Although Im only starting to eat again recently, I dont crave fatty food, and hopefully can stay away from it to a certain extent!!!
Im looking forward to a bit of gravy on my veg and thats about it, lol!

I used to adore cheese. When I was away recently I thought I'd treat myself to cheese and biscuits after the meal .. but when I ate it I really didn't enjoy it at all. I just found the flavours were too strong for me now. Not a bad thing really as cheese has to be one of the worst foods going for the waistline :rolleyes:

I really enjoy eating healthily now and have no cravings at all for my previous 'big loves' of chocolate, takeaways, crisps and fried foods.

Well, OK, maybe I do still crave chocolate sometimes .. but, as Mini said, there are always CD bars when the urge becomes too strong :)

Your taste buds do change, well mind certainly did.

Before my diet, the only fruit I ate was contained in a Terry's chocolate orange. The closest I got to vegetables was if I had to move them out of the way in the fridge to get to the cheese.

I now love all vegetable and recently bought a food dehydrator (idea posted by and stolen from Mike). This has meant everyone in my family has become addicted to dried banana, apple and kiwi fruit.

Now when I am in Sainsbury's or whatever, I spend more time in the fruit and vegetable section than anywhere else, an area of the shop I was up to six month ago excluded from as part of a self exile.

That is not to say I don't still the devils food, just not in the quantities I did.

I used to adore cheese. Not a bad thing really as cheese has to be one of the worst foods going for the waistline :rolleyes:

:)

Sharon

I used to start a 'Christmas' cheeseboard, well late November and keep it topped up until well in to January - that is true :eek: :eek: :eek: .

People would come to our house at Christmas, just for cheese. Tesco had our number in case they were running low.

Well, when the cheese sponging friends turn up this year, all I will have on offer is soe oat cakes and perhaps I might push the boat out with some Laughing Cow (lite of course).

Our lives certainly have changed eh.

I used to start a 'Christmas' cheeseboard, well late November and keep it topped up until well in to January - that is true :eek: :eek: :eek: .

We had much the same, Brad - although maybe ours didn't last QUITE as long as yours!

Mr Summer (never called him that before, but it's kinda cute innit? :rolleyes: ) and I used to buy loads of cheeses in the couple of weeks leading up to Christmas - plus all the biscuits/crackers of course. Naturally, they'd never last too long and we'd be re-stocking repeatedly up to the 'big day' .. when of course we'd never get around to eating any as we were far too stuffed with all the other Xmas goodies (or baddies!).

They certainly have, matey .. that's for sure. And long may it be so eh? :D

That's so true. I have 'fallen' so many times in the past. Buy myself a pack of 10 after a long quit, try one...hate it....feel cheated because I want to enjoy it, and know that I need a few more to get that taste. Then of course, I can throw away the rest. That would be wasteful:rolleyes:

This time I haven't had a puff, but I know I've failed so many times in the past...I don't hold out much hope. Just taking each day as it comes and knowing that each one I complete without a fag is a bonus.

Good on ya. It's a horrible feeling isn't it, and even worse when you aren't really enjoying what your eating. I don't think I've fully gone back to my former days with my tastebuds. There's some foods that now taste too salty, sweet or just plain tasteless.

Even after all this time, I feel like I've got a long way to go. Making time to enjoy what I'm eating seems to be my biggest problem at the moment. I'm back to eating while I'm working and not noticing what I've ate or what it taste like.

In a way, I'm not too sure that's a really bad thing. Guess I'm just eating to live, rather than eating because I enjoy eating. (Looking at the positive side here :D)

Karion,

Can I ask how you managed to kick the fags???? I would seriously like to although I know I keep being ambivalent about this at the mo:eek:

Don't think it's something I can do while SSing but I am interested in how you have done it.

Lacey..x

Can I ask how you managed to kick the fags???? I would seriously like to although I know I keep being ambivalent about this at the mo:eek:

Lacey..x

You and me both, darling :eek:

Looks like another New Year's Resolution is on the cards :rolleyes:

Karion - I really think you have achieved the "holy grail" of maintenance now, eating to live rather than living to eat - for me that is the ultimate goal and one I can never see myself achieving (although I have to say that I never thought I would enjoy fruit and veg either).

Although Im only starting to eat again recently, I dont crave fatty food, and hopefully can stay away from it to a certain extent!!!
Im looking forward to a bit of gravy on my veg and thats about it, lol!

I had some gravy the other night and it was tasteless and all a bit of a waste of calories - I felt like crying as I was so looking forward to it lol! I'm going to join the campaign for real gravy I think :)

I used to adore cheese. When I was away recently I thought I'd treat myself to cheese and biscuits after the meal .. but when I ate it I really didn't enjoy it at all. I just found the flavours were too strong for me now. Not a bad thing really as cheese has to be one of the worst foods going for the waistline :rolleyes:

I really enjoy eating healthily now and have no cravings at all for my previous 'big loves' of chocolate, takeaways, crisps and fried foods.

Well, OK, maybe I do still crave chocolate sometimes .. but, as Mini said, there are always CD bars when the urge becomes too strong :)

This is where I "fell down" last night - because I normally keep a LL bar for evenings and chop it up into very small pieces - but I had a bar for breakfast yesterday and just didn't feel like another - back to the fruit shakes this morning that is for sure (a vanilla pack whizzed up with loads of fresh fruit).

I have started craving cheese now where I never liked it before, I am going to avoid it during trigger week because I know that I will go crazy with it.

This is such a continuing journey isn't it? I wonder if it will ever end ...

Your taste buds do change, well mind certainly did.

Before my diet, the only fruit I ate was contained in a Terry's chocolate orange. The closest I got to vegetables was if I had to move them out of the way in the fridge to get to the cheese.

I now love all vegetable and recently bought a food dehydrator (idea posted by and stolen from Mike). This has meant everyone in my family has become addicted to dried banana, apple and kiwi fruit.

Now when I am in Sainsbury's or whatever, I spend more time in the fruit and vegetable section than anywhere else, an area of the shop I was up to six month ago excluded from as part of a self exile.

That is not to say I don't still the devils food, just not in the quantities I did.

I love the sound of your cheese boards from Christmas past - shame you don't have them any more, I would have been inviting myself round.

I used to be much the same with party food - I always had a fridge full of vol-u-vonts and crostini's etc and it was pretty much I could throw a party any night of the week completely unexpectedly. Not this year, it will be fruit and veg all the way - it is someone else's turn this year to be the hostess with the mostess - because without a doubt I ate most of whatever was in the fridge, it was just an excuse really to keep loads of rubbish in the house.

Sharon

People would come to our house at Christmas, just for cheese. Tesco had our number in case they were running low.

Well, when the cheese sponging friends turn up this year, all I will have on offer is soe oat cakes and perhaps I might push the boat out with some Laughing Cow (lite of course).

I'm with you on that Brad, I always used to go mad on cheese at Christmas, I never used to eat that much during the rest of the year, not to excess anyway, but along with the rest of the "lets eat all we can, tis Christmas" came the cheeseboard & crackers. Always to be consumed after a big meal too, just to ensure you really were keeping up the 10,000 cals per day quota!!!!

No boxes of Jacobs Crackers this year, with all the different varieties in, no get behind me Satan, and no mixed cheeseboards, along with all the interesting individual ones they do at Christmas. I might go mad and buy a small portion of Stilton & that will be it, and only oat cakes of course to go with it.

My tastes are changing, but I don't know if it's for the better or not. I find I have totally lost the taste for fatty food - I no longer think the smell is pleasant outside a fish and chip shop, or pizza place BUT I do like sweet things now (and I never did before) I blame Cambridge bars - I didn't use to eat chocolate before!!!!!
Whereabouts in Spain are you going amadam Dotty?
Ann x

Hi Ann

I've done the opposite to you, used to be a BIG chocolate eater and ate chocolate every single day. But now I like a small amount of quality dark chocolate, like Green & Blacks, but really don't enjoy the taste of cheaper milk chocolate, it's just too sweet. Dairy Milk used to be my middle name!! :)

We're going to Mijas Costa, which is on the Costa Del Sol in the South, it's not that far from Malaga Airport. We've been there before, I absolutely love Spain & we go every couple of years - go to other places in between, but always back to this part of Spain. I'd really like to move out to Spain, but don't have the courage to totally uproot, but the idea of a warm winter & hot summer, with the Spanish way of life, really appeals to me.

Can't wait. :D

We have a house in Salobrena, which is an hour to the east of Malaga, and an hour to the south of Granada. About one and a half hours from Mijas I would think. I too, would love to go and live out there - may have the courage when the grandchildren are a bit older, and can come an visit unaccompanied.
Ann x

My tastes have definately changed, who knew that fresh fruit and veggies could taste so damn good. I have found that when Im in a down mood and I overeat (yes I did say it) Ive made healthy choices with fruit and allbran (cleaned out the system well), where as before CD I would have crisps and chocolate galore. Im so ashamed that every day I ate a whole family block of chocolate.. not just 2 squares.. but the whole damn lot. I have yet to have any chocolate (not including the CD bars), and I know that when I do, I will make the choice of having the low GI option of dark choccy.... my tastes for something sweet havent changed, but my food choices have.. sweet = fresh fruit in my book, and it is delicious. I also love raw veggies (cauliflower and brocolli are fab) for the crunch factor, instead of crisps. What will be interesting is that I am going out for my work xmas dinner about a week after I finish stablisation, I have already ordered my low GI foods from the menu, but I plan on having a small dessert, it will be the first dessert I will have, I wonder if I will enjoy it!

Leighann

Back