A serious question

Well, I have to say that's a first - most GPs have a script which has the line 'you need to lose a weight or take these pills!' Although the ones I work with get the nurses to tell patients to lose weight:rolleyes:
As they are doing all the hormone levels I thought that would include thyroid levels but then I haven't done 7+ years medical training so what would I know!

We'd still love you to keep in touch, you never know you may just establish a new 'slimming programme' without the stress:D

I'm doing the blood tests on Monday am, had to be a fasting blood test, so had to go back, the truck needs new tyres so had to coordinate the two events:)

I presume that it will be week to 10 days, for results, same as every test in every country:D:D

We are quite lucky with the speed of results in this electronic age - our patients get the blood taken on day one and most are back at the surgery by day 3!

My clinic are quite good in that bloods get back in 3-4days, but everything else (smears, biopsy's etc.) take a few weeks? I'm baffled as to why he didn't just ask for the thyroid to be checked too so he could rule it out or treat it if necessary? Is a nurse doing it for you- you could tell her that he wants the thyroid, cholestrol, sugar, iron etc. all tested and see if she does it? A little fib but still....?

My clinic are quite good in that bloods get back in 3-4 days, but everything else (smears, biopsy's etc.) take a few weeks? I'm baffled as to why he didn't just ask for the thyroid to be checked too so he could rule it out or treat it if necessary? Is a nurse doing it for you- you could tell her that he wants the thyroid, cholestrol, sugar, iron etc. all tested and see if she does it? A little fib but still....?

The blood tests are done at the hospital, and I figure that I'll ask the person who draws them what's actually on the panel he requested, and then try and get Thyroid added.

My hit rate there is fairly good, managed to get both knees x-rayed when only one was listed, talked them into taking out my so called dissolving stitches when my knee was obviously rejecting them, despite the consultants reservations:)

The blood tests are done at the hospital, and I figure that I'll ask the person who draws them what's actually on the panel he requested, and then try and get Thyroid added.

My hit rate there is fairly good, managed to get both knees x-rayed when only one was listed, talked them into taking out my so called dissolving stitches when my knee was obviously rejecting them, despite the consultants reservations:)

So it might work! LOL!:innocent0002:

OK, no diet, totally relaxed, even drunk 'full fat' soda, eaten sweets etc etc, result .......lost 1 lb, go figure:confused::sigh:

Been for the blood tests today, he did ask for the thyroid, as well as blood sugars and hormones, five different lots of blood off to be tested. Some are done on site, so will be done today, rest 3 - 5 days.

I'm not sure how call backs are going at the moment...........seems that one of our 2 docs left suddenly under a cloud, not sure about the other one yet.

If there is anything major they will call I'm sure:)

even healthy foods can make you fat!!!!! its all about portion and calorie control...keep a food diary for a week of anythink that passes your lips and it will tell you what your doing wrong!!!! we often eat without realising.....also check for intolerances to food....and measure your inches as you may be losing them instead....one last thing...get your head round the fact that "no one ever got obese from eating salad" my friend said this to me once and it makes me smile as its soooo true..if your not losing weight your diet needs a thorough overhall xxxxxx gd luck .

Thanks for that hottot, at the moment I'm still going with the doc's advice of don't diet, strange how some advice is easier to follow than others:):D

I'm now at the stage I think I'm going to be shocked if the blood work comes back as normal, I'm so cold and tired and fed up and emotional, something is out of wack some where.:( It had better be physical, as I don't want to think about the other possibility:sigh:

So I'm just chilling and hoping that this week will give me some answers, then I can plan to start getting the weight under control when I know what, if anything, is causing me troubles.

I;ve survived one of my worst weeks ever, last Saturday my precious little 10 week old foal died suddenly, and I've been struggling to cope.

The doc phoned yesterday.........he has the results of my tests, and I have to go see him in the morning (it's 11.30pm here as I type) I don't know what to cross my fingers and wish for...............can't help hoping that it's a simple 'pill' fix that will get me bouncing with health.........and losing weight again

i'm so sorry about your foal. well done on coping.

good luck with your appointment. let us know how it goes. that's something we all hope for :) hopefully in your case it's a possibility :)

abz xx

oh dear....sorry about your 10 week old foal:cry:

fingers crossed for you....please hurry and post back...x

Aww....thats awful! Lets hope the Doc has some good news for you? Let us know how you get on?

Hi there, Wondered if you had ever thought of a VLCD. This can be a great way of fast, safe and effective weight loss. I know many clients have struggled for years and then found this method works for them. Wishing you well on your continued search for the correct programme for you. Maggie W8 Consultant

So sorry to hear about the foal - hope all goes ok with the doc.

We're here for you if & when you need us

So.............how did it go with the Doc..........either PANTS or BRILLIANT depending on how you look at it.

The bottom line is that physically I'm disgustingly healthy, the only slight concern on the bloods is that the total cholesterol reading is a little high, but I have good levels of 'good'' type, and little bad, so the important thing is that the ratio is good.

So there is no 'take a pill and feel great option' because the problem is in my head:cry::confused::mad::sigh:. So I've now been prescribed Venlafaxine, an anti depressant. I've done some research on line, and it appears that some people have found that they have depressed appetites and good weight loss when taking this stuff. Unfortunately I think that I'll end up in the same side as those who manage to gain weight while taking them.

it's great that you are fantastically healthy though hon. it really is. it does make it harder to get slim, but to be honest that means that once you've fought for it, hopefully it will stay off, whereas a change in your meds might bring about a different result if the other option was true.

hopefully you'll be on the weight loss side of things :)

so, what are you planning on doing next? do you have a diet plan in mind? you said you were doing well on being sensible on the lead up to the docs so what now?

abz xx

Back