A Taste Of Honey

silly sausage said:
Hey Honey :) Well done on finishing your day on a high.

I hope you enjoy your time off work and make lots of lovely meals for yourself. You deserve the best!

(Beware of drinking 2000cl of water though! That is 20 litres - you will be peeing like a police horse :eek: LOL)

Hahahahaha oh my god!!! Clearly I cant do metric... Made me laugh so much! Twenty litres - well, that wd do something to my Sunday weigh in....;-) x

gl12282 said:
Hey Honey,

I'm also following your diary now :D. Next thing you know, you'll have the whole of the 'Sunday weighers' people here too. Like lemmings off a cliff..........

Well done for taking control of the day. And not saying 'blow it' to the rest of the week. I'm sure it's not been easy for you. Don't sit and think of all the negatives and things that you did that you shouldn't or what you didn't do, think of the things that you did which you are proud of. And well done for your positive attitude.

I hope the snow has started to thaw. Ours has almost gone now. Yay ! It suddenly warmed up today and then it disappeared !!!

I have everything crossed for a STS for you this week. And we WILL be hunting you down if you're not there on Sunday !

(((((((hugs)))))))

Gail x

Awwwww, hello lovely Gail! You are do nice always, say just the right thing! How do you do it??

Snow slowly receding here, piles of it yet. Army is clearing it too. I feel a lot better today.

Am off work, so have taken myself to a very posh bar / cafe. Big tip - coffee here is a lot less than Starbucks and I have candles, papers and a waiter! Love living here...:). Am being good and having an americano rather than a milky drink. I had cereal, banana and blueberries with a muller light for breakfast, which keeps me full for hours.

I'm going to make some soup later to help with bingeing. Not out of the woods yet, but writing here definitely helps. I want to lose or maintain until the new year, but more than that, I want to stick at it and keep trying each day/hour, not writing it off until January. So expect lots of tedious updates from me!!

Lucky you being off work. Hope you treat yourself (in a SW friendly way !!). Actually watching the army clear snow would be a treat for me.................. :)

We will all have 'bad' food days for whatever reason (some predictable and preventable, but some not). What really counts is how we deal with these and what we do afterwards. I know that you have no intention of giving up on this (which is brilliant) but equally there is NO WAY that we are going to let you !

So have a lovely day and fingers crossed for Sunday.

More hugs (and a bit of jealousy at you with all your army guys !!!)

Gail x

gl12282 said:
Lucky you being off work. Hope you treat yourself (in a SW friendly way !!). Actually watching the army clear snow would be a treat for me.................. :)

We will all have 'bad' food days for whatever reason (some predictable and preventable, but some not). What really counts is how we deal with these and what we do afterwards. I know that you have no intention of giving up on this (which is brilliant) but equally there is NO WAY that we are going to let you !

So have a lovely day and fingers crossed for Sunday.

More hugs (and a bit of jealousy at you with all your army guys !!!)

Gail x

You're so nice!! Snow still here in big heaps, filthy, but it's gradually thawing. Phew!!!

I'm sticking at it. Weight loss feels fragile and like it will slip through my fingers. I'm starting to love some things. My clothes - everything fits or is too big. I have become a fashion plate! My knee has stopped hurting - going downstairs to the kitchen at work; I feel great!

More importantly, I feel like I am doing something. I feel good about that. I feel positive that I am helping myself - it's a nice feeling. I honestly see myself sticking at this for the next year and after. It feels doable.

I read weight loss blogs. There is one guy who is super aggressive, and has lost about 150 lbs through very low cal diet (he's American, no one here!). He is super convinced he had the answer and is evangelical about it. I dunno, good luck to him, but he's doing it so fast that it strikes me he's not going to be able to keep it off. I don't think you can see it as a sprint and then learn healthy eating when you have lost weight. That's my experience anyway, that for me, I have to deal with the psychology of my food addiction and understand that this is a lifelong change, not just while I lose weight.

I think too much...:) Honey x

I totally understand where you're coming from in several areas:

1. Feeling good just for doing something about your weight. It makes me feel much more in control (as I'm sure it does to you) and positive about me.

2. The feelings that you get when (a) people make comments, (b) you try on clothes that you couldn't get into (c) you try on a new size down etc etc etc

For many of us, this is not just about losing weight, it's about regaining some form of control and changing that relationship with food. I don't for one minute believe that some of those things will ever go away for me. I'm always going to have to physically walk away from food that I like but have had a little bit (but want more !) and am never going to say 'no thanks' to something that I like because I don't feel like it (that's not to say that I always feel deprived when I say no, because at the moment I often say no because I genuinely don't want it to spoil what I've achieved so far, but if it wasn't for that, I would always, always say yes please). But I have accepted that this will always be a battle for me but hopefully one that I make sensible choices most of the time, know where I won't make sensible choices and control when and where that happens ! I don't know whether any of this makes sense but hey ho, it's late !!

Good on you honey for being who you are and sharing with us.

Gail x

Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live.
As I lose weight, I fret a little about loose skin. Just a little. On the plus side, I have used masses of body lotion all my life, and every single day since I was 20 (I’m 41 now) I have thoroughly moisturised every single inch of me (and I have a lot of inches!!). But the plus side is that I do have very very good skin all over, which has been very well looked after. This morning I used a body oil, which has left my skin like satin. So I am optimistic that it will be as good as it can be, and I’ll have to deal with whatever happens in the knowledge that I can.

The other thing that I’d like to get back in the habit of doing every morning is dry body brushing. Takes about three minutes, and it really will help with circulation and getting blood pumping to the surface. I’ve done it off and on for years, and when I do it regularly my skin gleams and looks gorgeous. I know this sounds vain, but the tops of my arms, which are very fat and unappealing, the skin is smooth like a pearl, no lumps or bumps there. So that’s a small thing that I’d like to do from now on as an additional practical step to help my skin and takes minimal effort.

Water and exercise are the other things to become more vigilant about, but I just wanted to reassure myself that my skin is in fantastic shape, and that I can do small actions to help as much as I can.

I totally understand where you're coming from in several areas:

1. Feeling good just for doing something about your weight. It makes me feel much more in control (as I'm sure it does to you) and positive about me.

2. The feelings that you get when (a) people make comments, (b) you try on clothes that you couldn't get into (c) you try on a new size down etc etc etc

For many of us, this is not just about losing weight, it's about regaining some form of control and changing that relationship with food. I don't for one minute believe that some of those things will ever go away for me. I'm always going to have to physically walk away from food that I like but have had a little bit (but want more !) and am never going to say 'no thanks' to something that I like because I don't feel like it (that's not to say that I always feel deprived when I say no, because at the moment I often say no because I genuinely don't want it to spoil what I've achieved so far, but if it wasn't for that, I would always, always say yes please). But I have accepted that this will always be a battle for me but hopefully one that I make sensible choices most of the time, know where I won't make sensible choices and control when and where that happens ! I don't know whether any of this makes sense but hey ho, it's late !!

Good on you honey for being who you are and sharing with us.

Gail x

Hi Gail,

Thank you for this wonderful post - yes, you've hit the nail on the head. For me, this struggle with food will be a lifelong one, like you, but I am confident that the relationship can be changed. I agree totally, that it takes vigilance and attention to detail. I think that losing weight slowly and steadily and relearning how to relate to food is critical for me. I've been losing weight since the beginning of August, and I am looking forward to the fact that 2011 (and 2012) will be a continuation of that journey for me. I really am excited about spending 2011 here, charting my slow but persistent weight loss throughout the year, and I am so excited about all my Sunday weighers being here with me on that journey!

Hope you have a terrific Saturday, the snow has receded and town will be MOBBED by over-excited Christmas shoppers who have the smell of blood (mince pies?) in their nostrils and determination in their hearts. And I am going to be one of them!!!!

Reading your posts it could be me talking! :sigh: I have a difficult relationship with food - have yo yo dieted - lost 4 stones and put it back on and more :eek: BUT this time is for real and for good! Thanks for posting and well done on your fabulous losses it really inspires me to keep going although I'm also struggling with the bad weather demons :( despite only being on my 4th week! I'm also worrying about how things will go from now until January with all the festivities starting and I've had such a good start I really don't want to kibosh that! Thanks again!

Week 19: lost 1 lb, 47 lbs in total
I am totally amazed by the result this week. I stepped on the scales with a heavy heart, and had thought I would see it as a fairly hefty gain. But no, the scales were merciful. At one point they flickered down to an amazing low, but I weighed about four times, and being quite strict they showed a one pound loss.

This loss was needed – I had struggled all week, and was slipping into old ways of eating and comforting myself out of boredom and stress. I needed this boost, and this sense that it wasn’t all about to slip through my fingers. I feel motivated and ready to really go for it this week, despite having two parties. I am going to eat well and drink loads of water this week. I am also planning to forward track, so each morning think about what I am going to eat that day so I can get all my fruit/veg in. Eating poorly has meant that I felt sluggish all week, which in turn led to poorer food choices. I want to lose weight and feel terrific.

I can’t tell you how much this loss means to me, it’s been one of my most significant weeks since I started. Now I have renewed energy and vigour and determination to keep going. I am also thinking that maybe I should stop marking time for weight loss, I don’t want to be someone who is counting the days, because that seems to imply it’s a finite journey. On the other hand, I do find it quite comforting to know that I have stuck at it for 19 weeks, nearly five months. It’s like when I quit smoking, the accumulation of time spent on a good habit is a comforting factor, a feeling that this is what I do now. It’s not a flash in the pan.

Phew, I feel like a load has been taken off me. I am going to really get the most out of this week and enjoy eating healthily and drinking lots of water and making wise choices. I would still love to lose 50lbs in 2010, but I am also thinking that actually, it would be rather nice to make that significant shift in the bleak early days of January, rather than facing a huge long journey to the next major milestone. So it’s a win/win situation no matter what.

I keep thinking about what I’d like to achieve next year, and I think I’ve finally settled on aiming to weigh 237 lbs by the end of the year, which is a fairly low target but achievable, and would be the best thing ever for me to achieve.

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit
Well, another week. I am so pleased with yesterday’s weigh-in, it has given me this enormous boost. I am reaching here, but I am pledged to doing my very best to lose 3lbs this week. In a week where I have two parties and still not get any groceries delivered, I am going to give it my best shot to lose 50 lbs this year.

I’ve bought a note book, and am writing down everything I eat, as well as pre-tracking, or pre-planning (i.e. thinking at the start of the day what healthy options I am going to eat and then, well, eating them!). That’s working well. I have also been consciously drinking a lot more fluids, so am up to about 1200 ml today – not great, but a huge improvement.

I feel slimmer today. I wore a new jacket that I hadn’t worn for a while, and it’s much looser on me, very flattering. I felt smart and attractive at work, and in fact, I feel like that most days. I ignored the sweeties that are everywhere at work, stuck to my planned food, and basically told people that my intention was to have a very ‘good’ week of healthy eating, despite the time of year. And that is how I feel about it. I am going to have a very healthy week this week, eating one third of superfree food at each meal, and looking up SYN values online, and basically being accountable to myself for everything I eat. I’ve even steamed some broccoli tonight!

My food for the day (so far) has been: coffee, apple (1/2), banana x 1, grapes x 5, fruit and fibre (HEX B), muller light. Olives x 2 (1 SYN), baked beans, mushrooms, M&S orzo pasta and roasted tomatoes (1 SYN), banana x 1, apple x 1, cracker mix (4 SYNS). Herbal tea, quorn fillets in tomato and olive sauce (3 SYNS), rocket, ½ apple, tomatoes x 2, grapes x 3, broccoli. So far, then, I have had 8 SYNS, which is about what I like to aim for.

I was inspired to join Slimming World by a colleague at work, who was doing well on it. She was a slow loser, but steady, and after about three months had lost about a stone. She looked terrific, and it was a real spur to me. I joined SW at the start of August, and she kind of stopped. She has put all the weight back on, and seems so unhappy again. If only she had kept going for another five months, she would have been within touching distance of goal by now, even losing a few pounds a month. I don’t know, that kind of makes me thing of the 98% to 2% statistic, and makes me reflect on my own path. It also makes me think that it’s not about big losses each week and a gallop to goal, but rather a slow steady walk to get there. That’s why weeks where I maintain are victories as much as weeks when I lose, because this journey has to be about NOT moving backwards, but slowly plodding forward despite how I feel or how tough the day has been or how cold it is etc. Excuses are just that, and my huge goal is to hang on to the weight loss through the holiday season and not say ‘tomorrow’s another day’. It can be done, but I am not going to get blasé about my progress and let it slip through my fingers. This has been hard earned!

Yay. Go for it honey.

I agree. A STS is still a reasonable week because it's a week that you're still x lbs lighter than you were at the start. And I think it has helped me not having a goal yet and thinking gosh I've got so much to lose. If I had seriously thought about that at the beginning I'm not sure where I would have got to. And now, all of a sudden as if I didn't know how it happened, I'm over 3 stone lighter (and yet I completely and utterly know how it happened !). I still have a long way to go too but my journey too is still ongoing and will be for the rest of my life !!!

I love your attitude honey and I am willing you to success. Good on you.

Big hugs and good luck.

Gail x

Reading your posts it could be me talking! :sigh: I have a difficult relationship with food - have yo yo dieted - lost 4 stones and put it back on and more :eek: BUT this time is for real and for good! Thanks for posting and well done on your fabulous losses it really inspires me to keep going although I'm also struggling with the bad weather demons :( despite only being on my 4th week! I'm also worrying about how things will go from now until January with all the festivities starting and I've had such a good start I really don't want to kibosh that! Thanks again!

Hi Lesley,

Yes, I know exactly what you mean - it's a tough time of year to lose weight, and I've been worrying too about it. My motivation for the next two weigh-ins is to aim for a loss, but also to be really excited with a STS result, and if I do put on weight, for it only to be a pound or two, something I will take off in the first week of January. I think you're really determined about this, and I'm sure you will do well if you stick at it and persist no matter what! (That's exactly what I'm telling myself to do, anyway!). :)

Yay. Go for it honey.

I agree. A STS is still a reasonable week because it's a week that you're still x lbs lighter than you were at the start. And I think it has helped me not having a goal yet and thinking gosh I've got so much to lose. If I had seriously thought about that at the beginning I'm not sure where I would have got to. And now, all of a sudden as if I didn't know how it happened, I'm over 3 stone lighter (and yet I completely and utterly know how it happened !). I still have a long way to go too but my journey too is still ongoing and will be for the rest of my life !!!

I love your attitude honey and I am willing you to success. Good on you.

Big hugs and good luck.

Gail x

Awwwww, thanks Gail! I can't believe how close we both are to getting into a new 'century' of weight- it's absolutely terrific, isn't it?

It's weird how it goes - last week I really struggled every day, this week I feel motivated and determined. It's actually been really helpful writing each day, and seeing that there will be peaks and troughs, and I am going to remember that next time I feel like I can't do it, or if I feel that it will be easy. Lots of tips and strategems.

Something I do find surprisingly powerful is to TELL people what you're doing. I found it really helpful to tell all my colleagues that I was determined this would be a healthy eating week before Christmas. A lot of them laughed and said it couldn't be done (all very good-natured!), but it's kind of really put a fire under me to make sure I don't stuff down chocolates and cakes at work, because I've publicly said that this week I don't want to do that. I read in this book called '59 seconds' that in order to achieve your goals they have to be specific, but also you need to tell other people what you're doing, so that when you stop trying there is some level of accountability.

I dunno, that's why I think this group is so valuable to me. My Sunday mornings are quite the ritual now. I weigh-in, and then take about 30 minutes to update everything:
  • Body Optimise
  • Scrap of paper with weekly weigh-ins
  • Here (signature, information, Sunday weighers, monthly challenge)
  • Texts: mum, three friends
  • Apps: about two that track weight loss
It doesn't take long, but somehow there are loads of reminders this time around me. I think here is definitely the place I rush to update though!!!

Anyway, I have rambled enough this morning. Am planning a fairly ordinary day of eating: usual breakfast, jacket potato and salad for lunch, rice and home-made casserole for tea with lots of frozen veggies, and fingers crossed that my grocery order will arrive! Am also going to aim to get 2000 ml of water down me through the day.

Great day today. Stuck to plan, ate well, feel great, had some compliments about weight loss - finally!!!! I am thinking about how I will be this time next year, which hopefully will be about another five stone down. I will be taking it slow and steady next year, but will be plodding forward.

I am thinking I'll aim for about five pounds a month on average, but realistically more in the first few months and less in the last few months. It's weird to think I cd be five stones lighter this time next year, as that is a slow weight loss. Makes me excited thinking about it. Writing this journal and having hundreds of entries and talking about my changing relationship with food!!

Last edited:
I love your postings Honey. We are so completely on the same wavelength !!!

Delighted that people are starting to notice. It's such a good feeling isn't it :)

Loving this 'blog'. Well done. Maybe I'll start my own eventually............

Hope the week continues to go so well (including Thursday and Sunday).

Gail x

Another good day. Had the usual breakfast (berries, yoghurt and cereal), lunch was home made stew and couscous. Dinner was Quorn fillet, mushroom, asparagus and salad. I've deliberately eaten low today because we have office do tomorrow. I'm not going to weigh until Sunday, but I do feel thinner.

I've been tracking carefully this week, and also I've been planning my meals each day, which has been a huge help - I often forget to do that, to be honest. It's a small but surprisingly effective tool.

I've been thinking about losing weight, and to me it seems absolutely vital that I work out my triggers and issues. I know that I have a deep dislike of dieting and feeling restricted, which is why I like this. I like having big, healthy portions. Weight warchers did not suit me at all, with it's focus on portion control. I like feeling j can eat enough.

Well, office do tomorrow. I'm going to have two glasses of wine maximum!!

gl12282 said:
I love your postings Honey. We are so completely on the same wavelength !!!

Delighted that people are starting to notice. It's such a good feeling isn't it :)

Loving this 'blog'. Well done. Maybe I'll start my own eventually............

Hope the week continues to go so well (including Thursday and Sunday).

Gail x

Start a blog!! Its really been helpful over the last week or so, and I want to read about you!! X

silly sausage said:
Hey Honey :)

Stupid weather is supposed to be changing again tonight. Hope you have all your lovely foods in.

You have just reminded me to get another big glass of water down me. Thanks!

See, now you're encouraging me!! I have not drunk enough water today yet, thanks for the reminder x

Well, after the terrible fall off the wagon into a vat of white wine on Thursday, I think I'll be lucky to avoid a gain this week. I have to say though, I think it's pretty good that I was super-committed for the first half of the week. And to be honest, yesterday I didn't actually have a single meal. So who knows? My goal is to try to have as many healthy eating days as possible, and not see one day as a deal breaker, although I do have huge tendencies to do that. I'm very all or nothing, and I know that's one of the biggest contributing factors to my obesity. I'm either good or bad, and I need to practice the Pareto principle - eat well for 80% of the time, and it'll be okay.

I think other people have that tendency when they're dieting. I hear (and myself do the same thing) of being 'good' or 'fallen off the wagon' - but actually, it's just a choice for that moment, it doesn't HAVE to be a week long binge-fest or a week long spell of eating well. Maybe a combination factor of the two? Well, not bingeing, but you see what I mean.

So, I dunno. The most important thing is that I haven't given up and said "I'll start again in the New Year" and given a whole lot of convincing reasons why that's better (I'll be fresh, I deserve time off, it's too hard) etc etc. For me, that's rubbish. It's far better for me to keep at it each day and each hour, and yes, I will eat crap and overdo it, but each time I go back to healthy eating and not stuffing my face. I didn't get to 350lbs by this pattern being okay, so it's not okay for me to go back to the familiar at Christmas and promising a fresh start in the New Year.

So, today's plan: I am going shopping shortly (to avoid snow that's forecast), and then I am going to have a lovely day in, drinking lots of water, making a nice stew for next week, and getting my home holiday ready. I might watch Love Actually and just chill out without falling into a vat of bon bons. I'm going to have a really nice, cosy day without food being the focus. Once I've done the Christmas clean, I'm going to have an afternoon/evening spa treatment and just pamper every bit of myself.

Back