A Taste Of Honey

Week 20: Lost 2lbs, 49 lbs in total
Well, this was unexpected! I did eat really ‘low’ for the first half of the week, drank an awful lot on Thursday (but not much eating), and then didn’t have any big meals on Friday or Saturday. I can’t believe I’ve lost 3 ½ stones, it’s such a good milestone to have achieved in 2010. I am delighted with this loss, it’s really important to me.

For the next two weeks, I am going to carry on with my strategy, which is to eat well as much of the time as possible, but accept there will be some days when I overeat. BUT: I am not going to just give up and have two weeks eating as much as I can. So this week, I have drinks but no more Christmas ‘dos’, so I am going to eat well and healthily at least Monday to Friday evening, have a nice Christmas Day and Boxing Day, and definitely ‘fess up here how I’ve done. I really want to STS over the next two weeks, I would love to lose another pound or two to take me under the next big goal, but that would be a nice bonus for early January. I am so pleased to not be putting on weight, that’s a huge plus for me!

Crikey Honey! You are so close to a big milestone. It is a very exciting time for you (and us!)

Looks like we have the same plan! It will be SW business as usual here this week at Chez Sausage. Christmas aint for ages yet. If I am on plan Mon-Fri then I can be more relaxed about having extras at the weekend.

Have a wonderful week. Your head is in a great place so I am optimistic about you crossing the 300 very, very soon :)

Awwww sausage, you say the loveliest things.

I totally agree with you. I am certain that honey is going to pass her big milestone soon and really can't wait. Good luck honey. We will all have a party when you get there :wee:

My christmas is going to be similar too. It is SW business as usual. My fridge is stocked and then I will start on the freezer when the fresh stuff runs out. Until I can either go to a supermarket (I refuse to go to supermarkets in December !) or get another delivery.

Will be keeping an eye on your diary here. Good luck for this week.

See you sunday.

Gail x

Week 22: Put on 2 lbs (lost 48.5 lbs in total)

I totally had to steel myself to weigh in this morning, because I knew it would be bad. It wasn’t that much, I thought it could have been four or five pounds, so two isn’t so bad. Also, the scales flickered around a lot, and I definitely took the higher number (so that I would have a loss next Sunday!). It’s not exactly unexpected, I’ve been overeating for over a week and a half.

So, keeping my eyes on the prize, to get to 237 in 2011, I need to lose 64.5 lbs. It really isn’t a very onerous goal, it’s just over 5lbs a month, and realistically I could aim a lot higher, and I am anticipating my weight loss will be more than that. But I want a slow steady weight loss, and I want to learn lifelong healthy eating habits. Crash dieting, or focusing entirely on losing weight rapidly, isn’t the way forward for me. I’ve thought a lot about various things that I am going to do this year towards this goal, and they include walking, drinking lots of water, generally looking after myself in all ways. Today sucks though.

Awwww honey, don't be down. Think about what you've achieved so far. (apart from today) how great do you feel having lost so much - confidence, clothing, compliments and just for taking control and doing it. That is fantastic !

As I've said in other places I completely agree with your target for 2011. I want to feel a success with this and so to set a target which is too high and not achieve it would risk making me feel down for not achieving it even if I had lost loads in the process and I suspect that you are the same. I have ABSOLUTELY no doubt you will make your target (and probably more) and if you don't, I will be here nagging you !!!!!

(((((big hugs)))))

Gail x

aww big hugs hun! You've lost 48.5lbs so far and thats not an easy task to achieve. You've stuck with it and showed that you've got what it takes to lose the remainder of the weight, and i'm sure you'll achieve you're goal of losing atleast 64.5lbs in 2011, plus some. You've got a brilliant attitude to this and slow and steady wins the race. Those two pounds will be off before you know it xx

Awwww. than you, what a lovely comment, that really was so nice of you! I love the encouragement here - and huge well done on your own progress, what an inspiration you are!

Awwww honey, don't be down. Think about what you've achieved so far. (apart from today) how great do you feel having lost so much - confidence, clothing, compliments and just for taking control and doing it. That is fantastic !

As I've said in other places I completely agree with your target for 2011. I want to feel a success with this and so to set a target which is too high and not achieve it would risk making me feel down for not achieving it even if I had lost loads in the process and I suspect that you are the same. I have ABSOLUTELY no doubt you will make your target (and probably more) and if you don't, I will be here nagging you !!!!!

(((((big hugs)))))

Gail x

Gail, you are absolutely the best, thank you so much for always taking the time out to be so encouraging and kind - it really means a lot!

Feels strange to be back on track today in terms of eating. Last night, I threw out all the Christmas left over food and chocolate, which I know sounds a bit extreme, but I know myself really well. If I left it in the house, I would feel down and tired one night and stuff my face with them all at some point in the week ahead. I didn’t even like overeating, it wasn’t pleasurable. I am really looking forward to having some salmon and roasted vegetables.

It’s a little bit of a dangerous few days for me, in that I’m still off work for another two days and I feel like I’m in ‘treat’ mode. But then, it’s easier to get going when I’m not trying to do everything at once.

So, plans for today: pre-plan my meals and food, write down everything I eat and track it on the SW site (I’m going to do that for all of January), drink loads of water. I will write here when temptation gets too much! I’m also going to go sales shopping and buy myself some new clothes.

WELL DONE honey for throwing out the left overs. I agree to some it may sound extreme but if you can't be controlled around it (and you are not alone in that) it's safer to throw it away.

Have a *lovely* time :)eek: I know it won't be like that because I was out yesterday......!) shopping - are you clothes shopping ?. For me, clothes shopping is still a bit like a double edged sword. I love the fact that I am not buying size 24 (and would have had to start buying size 26 in some things) any more and don't really care whether I'm still a 20 (as I am in some cases) or a 16 but I still find it hard because I look in the mirror and see someone fat :tear_drop:. So it's important that whatever you do, when you are shopping, that you remember how far you've come, not how far you have to go.

Well done honey for being so fantastic. (((((big hugs)))))

Gail x

WELL DONE honey for throwing out the left overs. I agree to some it may sound extreme but if you can't be controlled around it (and you are not alone in that) it's safer to throw it away.

Have a *lovely* time :)eek: I know it won't be like that because I was out yesterday......!) shopping - are you clothes shopping ?. For me, clothes shopping is still a bit like a double edged sword. I love the fact that I am not buying size 24 (and would have had to start buying size 26 in some things) any more and don't really care whether I'm still a 20 (as I am in some cases) or a 16 but I still find it hard because I look in the mirror and see someone fat :tear_drop:. So it's important that whatever you do, when you are shopping, that you remember how far you've come, not how far you have to go.

Well done honey for being so fantastic. (((((big hugs)))))

Gail x

Thanks Gail! I went sales shopping for clothes, and it's kind of hard to know what to buy - I am buying clothes that are slightly too small, which goes against the grain, but everything is kind of falling off me at the moment, so I need some tighter clothes for a few months. Ann Harvey is having a terrific sale, so I must have bought about twenty things for less than £150, which should see me through to the spring. I've bought loads of separates and I think I can really jazz up my wardrobe - I was getting bored with things not looking nice because they were too big.

I also bought walking boots (eep!) in line with my goal to walk 2 million steps this year. Plus to cope with the winter weather in future. So I've been spending like a demon, which is not like me at ALL.

I've also been back on track today. I had my 'usual' breakfast (yoghurt, fruit, handful of cereal), and a lovely lunch (quorn sausages, scrambled eggs, baked beans and mushrooms, a salad of peppers, artichoke hearts, a few grapes and some tomatoes). It was huge but zero SYNS - I need to revisit the whole deal with SW, and not get complacent and think I know it all. Remembering to eat one third superfree was great.

Also doing moderately well with water - didn't want to overdo it and have to pee when I was shopping, but I've had a couple of glasses and will drink more this evening. Oh, I also had a skinny latte at Pret with a friend, my 'treat' for being on holiday still - I think I'm going to switch to Americanos for the rest of the time though.

So, although it's only 3.30 it's a great day and I don't feel hungry or restless at all. In fact, I feel full of energy because I'm eating well again, and drinking water.

I also had another thought: maybe it's okay to overeat at Christmas, and not get too worked up about it. Overall, I only put on half a pound, which is fine. And I really want to see a big loss this week, although I suspect it might be TOTM, which really scuppers my weigh-ins. Never mind, I have all year, 52 weigh-ins ahead of me to get used to eating well.

I'm popping back out to the shops in a little while to get some fresh fruit and veg in, and also something for my tea tonight and tomorrow. I'm thinking of having steak and a stir fry/salad - it's a 'treat', but very SW and zero syns, so is a nice way of easing back into the first week of January. We'll see.

Hi Honey,

Totally agree with buying clothes that are a bit small. No point in wasting money (as I have had to because my initial losses were so fast - a double edged sword) on things that you will only wear a few times. You have 'proven yourself' to be committed to this (therefore you can buy stuff that's too small yet to shrink into it) so you might as well get a bit of wear from stuff you buy. If it's not quite ready to wear, keep trying it on because it's amazing how quickly you'll get into it. I'm so pleased for you ! How many sizes down are you from the start ?

I understand the 'getting worked up about overeating at christmas' thing though. My main issues with what I did were (1) It showed me good and proper that although I might feel like I'm in control most of the time, I'm really not that much in control (2) I worried that I might not get back on track. Which is why the 'flexi syn' thing works for me. I go out for loads of meals, a few of which are completely not 'on plan' but because I plan it that way and have some control in what I do, it's ok. Christmas was just 'out of control' for me even if only for 1 day completely and a few more days where I had my hand in the chocolate tin at work a bit too much. So I completely understand your concerns but we don't have to face them for another year - yippeeee ! By which time you'll be at least another 64lbs lighter and hopefully I'll be lighter too !!!

Glad you had a great day.

Gail x

Hi Honey,

Totally agree with buying clothes that are a bit small. No point in wasting money (as I have had to because my initial losses were so fast - a double edged sword) on things that you will only wear a few times. You have 'proven yourself' to be committed to this (therefore you can buy stuff that's too small yet to shrink into it) so you might as well get a bit of wear from stuff you buy. If it's not quite ready to wear, keep trying it on because it's amazing how quickly you'll get into it. I'm so pleased for you ! How many sizes down are you from the start ?

I understand the 'getting worked up about overeating at christmas' thing though. My main issues with what I did were (1) It showed me good and proper that although I might feel like I'm in control most of the time, I'm really not that much in control (2) I worried that I might not get back on track. Which is why the 'flexi syn' thing works for me. I go out for loads of meals, a few of which are completely not 'on plan' but because I plan it that way and have some control in what I do, it's ok. Christmas was just 'out of control' for me even if only for 1 day completely and a few more days where I had my hand in the chocolate tin at work a bit too much. So I completely understand your concerns but we don't have to face them for another year - yippeeee ! By which time you'll be at least another 64lbs lighter and hopefully I'll be lighter too !!!

Glad you had a great day.

Gail x

Oh, I have a new tactic for the chocolate tin at work - I might regret it though! I said to all my colleagues that if I ate any cakes/chocolates/treats all year, then I would give each of then £5. Yikes! I might regret it, they all seem very keen on it, lol. I found in the last few months though that it's work treats that are very hard to avoid, so I need to not touch them at all for a while.

I have to write about the best discovery ever for winter – frozen winter berries. I put some out to thaw this morning, and have had them in my morning bowl of yoghurt and cereal – they are utterly divine. The slight juice from them mixes in with my yoghurt, and it’s the nicest breakfast ever. Am so impressed, especially as they are so much cheaper than buying imported fruit at this time of year.

Good day - helped a lot being back at work, which is sad! I am definitely back in the weight loss groove again

Am so excited, my pedometer finally arrived today, and my work colleague set it up for me (am so lazy!). Very motivating, it’s the easiest one to have, as it’s accurate if you have it in your pocket, your bag etc. I’ve attached it to the waistband of my skirt, and so far have done not very many steps. I think it might be helpful to set a January target, break it down into smaller steps for each leg of 2011. Yay!

Great day today, feel really motivated and back on track. My pedometer is a huge encouragement to walk - today I went out at lunchtime for a half hour to walk just to clock up steps! And two other people at work have ordered one, clearly I'm an inspiration!

Have drunk loads of water and stuck very firmly to plan all day, and am about to have salmon, mushrooms and asparagus for dinner, mmmmmmm.

I think I might have a gain on Sunday from last week, and also because I didn't make the best choices on Monday and Tuesday - but I don't really mind, I feel so good to be 'back' on track with healthy eating. It feels wonderful, like I have my mojo back; I was a bit worried that I would find it hard to get back into it after the holidays, so that's good.

Another great day, so feeling positive and upbeat. The only slight problem is that we have heavy snow again, so it's quite difficult to go walking in it. I am going to go out in a little while for a short walk just to try and boost my step count - the pedometer was a fabulous investment, it's really motivational and makes me feel absolutely wonderful about doing this.

Today I had my weekend brunch (quorn sausages, scrambled eggs and mushrooms, with a salad), then a weightwatchers ready meal with a huge salad. I went out for a skinny latte and later on I will have quorn fillets in tomato sauce with olives with, guess what, yes, another salad! I don't really think of it as a salad, more chopped up vegetables etc to go with my meal!

I've been drinking loads of water, and that is really helpful too.

I'd like a loss tomorrow, but I have a nasty feeling that it might be a STS or even a slight gain, because I really did overeat at the new year, and I only got my groove back consistently from Wednesday onwards. But I'll grit my teeth and accept it, because next Sunday will be a big loss as I'm definitely in the rhythm again - it's hard to explain, but it feels like I did in November when it was just my new way of eating, rather than a diet. I've been doing this since the start of August, and the first couple of months were definitely a struggle, and then after about three months something kicked in and it became habit, if that makes sense. I'm pleased that very quickly that feeling has returned again, and hopefully will continue. I suppose it was only a week that I didn't eat healthily, so not too bad.

I feel slightly odd about the fact that I'm going into unknown territory soon. About twenty years ago, I lost a lot of weight and got down to a normal size, and stayed there for about two years, before gradually putting it all back on and more. Since then, I have lost about this amount of weight before, and then hovered within two or three stones. Now I feel I am going into new land, getting within sight of going under 280 lbs (20 stones), and it all feels very do-able. I can't explain it, but I really don't have any doubt that I can do this. And that makes me feel nervous, odd even. Ambivalent. I mean, losing fifty pounds has meant that all my clothes don't fit, I look good and feel good. But I'm still morbidly obese, I just carry it well. But going down much more makes me feel odd, like I have vertigo or something.

I'm getting chatted up more, which should be nice, but again, I feel odd about it. This guy I have been in a sort of relationship with for years (don't ask!) has just sent me thirty red roses - really nice, but....is it because I look differently? That annoys me, to be honest. Or is it because I'm much happier and more confident?

I have very mixed feelings about weight and all that. Not mixed, exactly - complex? It's really hard for me to explain. I've read about people losing weight who call their former selves 'fat pigs' and all that. I don't want to hate the person I am/was, I don't want to despise obesity and think I am a better person because there is less of me. And yet I AM much happier now I'm losing weight, so I shouldn't be cross at people at work etc congratulating me, and I do like it as well.

LikeI said, complex.

the pedometer was a fabulous investment, it's really motivational and makes me feel absolutely wonderful about doing this.

Fantastic. Maybe I should invest in one too ?? Have you checked that it is accurate when it is just in your bag ?

I've been drinking loads of water, and that is really helpful too.

Well done. Me too this weekend :)

I'd like a loss tomorrow, but I have a nasty feeling that it might be a STS or even a slight gain, because I really did overeat at the new year, and I only got my groove back consistently from Wednesday onwards. But I'll grit my teeth and accept it, because next Sunday will be a big loss as I'm definitely in the rhythm again

I'm pleased that very quickly that feeling has returned again, and hopefully will continue. I suppose it was only a week that I didn't eat healthily, so not too bad.

Brilliant attitude. Fingers crossed. And so pleased for you that you're back in the swing of things. I worry if I'm not and I suspect you do too.

I feel slightly odd about the fact that I'm going into unknown territory soon. I can't explain it, but I really don't have any doubt that I can do this.

I also don't have any doubt that you can do this. :D

I'm getting chatted up more, which should be nice, but again, I feel odd about it. This guy I have been in a sort of relationship with for years (don't ask!) has just sent me thirty red roses - really nice, but....is it because I look differently? That annoys me, to be honest. Or is it because I'm much happier and more confident?

Maybe, but I don't think it should. He might be just really delighted for you at how you feel and trying to boost your confidence ?? One of the things I love about here (and particularly our sunday weighers thread) is the feeling happy for others when they do well.

I don't want to hate the person I am/was, I don't want to despise obesity and think I am a better person because there is less of me. And yet I AM much happier now I'm losing weight, so I shouldn't be cross at people at work etc congratulating me, and I do like it as well..

This rings a bell with me. I don't hate the person I am/was. I feel a bit sorry for her but equally know that I could be her quite easily again without the effort that I'm putting in.

SO pleased that this is making your self esteem better - that in itself will spur you on.

Good luck for tomorrow. Fingers crossed. I'll be watching on my phone even if I can't post til later.

Gail x

Week 23: lost 2lbs (50.5lbs in total)

Good first weigh-in for 2011, and I'm really pleased about it. I feel like I worked really hard the second half of the week, lots of walking, lots of water, back on plan. I think that I will see some major losses this month as I get settled into doing more than just eating healthily, so I'm pleased about that.

I feel thinner at the moment, definitely - my face looks significantly different, my hands and arms; I just feel lighter. It's odd how that works, but I definitely have seen a change these last few days. I'm really optimistic about the coming weeks and months.

I'm very disciplined, and only weigh in once a week. I don't really like 'sneak peaks' at the scales, so it's a bit of a ceremony to pull out my super-accurate scales and stand on them and see how I've done. I felt quite heavy this morning (water retention?) so I'm not even sure that this is an 'accurate' weigh-in, but that's it until next Sunday morning. I like weighing-in on a Sunday too, it moderates my eating over Friday and Saturday night, and I actually look forward to it.

Anyway, am pleased to be in a new 'century', and looking forward to the year.

Good day today (so far):

Breakfast: yoghurt, banana, cereal
Snack: 2 x satsumas
Lunch: big mixed salad with couscous and small tin of tuna
Snack: 1 x apple

Planning to have this evening: salad, weight watchers mediterranean pasta, and then possibly a hot chocolate and an apple

Have drunk about 1600 ml of water, and walked about 5,500 steps - am going out for a half hour work to give it a bit of a boost.

I feel really good today, very confident and like I've achieved a lot. I know it's arrogant, but I'm anticipating a 3 lb weight loss this weekend, and I'm really boosting my walking.

Also - I love the fact that I've made all these challenges very public.

Finished off yesterday with vegetarian pasta and a big salad, which was almost TOO filling. Then I had a hot chocolate (cadbury's slimming one?) before bed. I drank 2 litres of water and ate well all day, and I walked over 7,000 steps. So, a really good start to the week.

Today I'm having my breakfast: muller light, frozen berries and blueberries, a handful of cereal, all mixed up - very delicious and easy. It keeps me full until lunchtime, and I really like it. I've found it so good to give up bread, and I don't think I've had any since August when I started.

Pre-planning today:
Satsumas and apples as snacks
Large mixed salad and tuna for lunch (maybe salad and ratatouille, will see how hungry I am at lunchtime)
Broccoli, carrots, quorn fillets in tomato sauce with olives for tea
Then maybe rice cakes as a treat as I get my Sainsburys grocery order tonight.

I'd like to drink at least 1500 millilitres of water, and walk at least 6,000 steps.

Should be a good day - I'm very busy at work, and that means I don't get tempted to pick.

Back