A Taste Of Honey

Hi Honey,

Sorry, I had meant to reply on last weeks post earlier but I read it on my phone and then forgot ! I think you are doing brilliantly. You sound so focused and happy with what you're doing. I remember when I first met you here, you always posted great things but you sounded so desperate to lose weight that I was willing you on and thought about you every Sunday when we weighed in. But you sound different now. (I know this is only online but it feels like things have changed). You are (rightly so) really proud of what you have achieved and confident that there is more to come (and there certainly is). It's really lovely to read.

So big hugs and see you tomorrow on 'the other side' !!

Gail x

Thanks Gail, I think I was and remain very desperate to lose weight, it's my chief goal in my life and very important to me.

I think that I'm going to have lost five stones tomorrow. In total, I mean, not overnight...!!

I think I'm going to predict a two pound weight loss, possibly 2.5 lbs. I've been bang on target this week, eating really well, loads of fruit and vegetables, and no cheating. I've kind of got my own momentum going now, because I'm getting so many compliments and buying new clothes and feeling a big difference - I want it to continue. It feels fabulous. I was walking along this afternoon and I felt really really pretty. My hair was down and looking nice, my skin is clear and fresh, my face has lost so much weight, I was wearing clothes that fitted. I felt just so happy as I walked along, and not hungry at all.

I know that I will feel the urge to comfort eat in the future, I know that I will slip up, I will struggle, and there will be hard times, but for the last few weeks it's been easy. I'm genuinely full and satisfied and not tempted by food at all - enjoy it while it's happening! I think it's because I'm eating a lot of fruit and vegetables, and not restricting myself. If I'm hungry, I eat two bananas in a day; I will have a bowl of fruit and yoghurt before bed if I'm peckish. For me, I hate that feeling of 'restriction' - it doesn't work for me long term. That's why slimming world stands a chance of being a long-term solution for me, because I don't struggle with those feelings of counting calories and feeling deprived.

I guess there are no easy answers. Figure yourself out and what suits you and you alone, perhaps? I know for me it's about doing something that works for the rest of my life - this is not a short-term fix until I reach goal weight. I will never be eating bread again regularly, or crisps, or alcohol, or sweets. I won't be changing this way of eating, this is going to be me.

Thanks Gail, I think I was and remain very desperate to lose weight, it's my chief goal in my life and very important to me.

I've kind of got my own momentum going now, because I'm getting so many compliments and buying new clothes and feeling a big difference - I want it to continue. It feels fabulous. I was walking along this afternoon and I felt really really pretty. My hair was down and looking nice, my skin is clear and fresh, my face has lost so much weight, I was wearing clothes that fitted. I felt just so happy as I walked along, and not hungry at all.

I know that I will feel the urge to comfort eat in the future, I know that I will slip up, I will struggle, and there will be hard times, but for the last few weeks it's been easy. I'm genuinely full and satisfied and not tempted by food at all - enjoy it while it's happening! I think it's because I'm eating a lot of fruit and vegetables, and not restricting myself. If I'm hungry, I eat two bananas in a day; I will have a bowl of fruit and yoghurt before bed if I'm peckish. For me, I hate that feeling of 'restriction' - it doesn't work for me long term. That's why slimming world stands a chance of being a long-term solution for me, because I don't struggle with those feelings of counting calories and feeling deprived.

I guess there are no easy answers. Figure yourself out and what suits you and you alone, perhaps? I know for me it's about doing something that works for the rest of my life - this is not a short-term fix until I reach goal weight. I will never be eating bread again regularly, or crisps, or alcohol, or sweets. I won't be changing this way of eating, this is going to be me.

Hi Honey,

I know you still really want to lose weight but I don't sense that desperation now in your posts, just optimism and determination and a real drive to succeed. That's different. That's the smell of focus and commitment not desperation. I hope you didn't feel offended by my post - it was meant in the most positive way possible in that you sound different now compared to when you start in such a great way. It's lovely to hear.

I love to hear your new NSV's and can completely relate to everything that you say above. I still have a fair way to go but I feel amazing and proud and like I can hold my head up high which I didn't feel before.

I have all my fingers crossed for you tomorrow - I can't wait to see your new shiny :)

Gail x

Hi Honey,

I know you still really want to lose weight but I don't sense that desperation now in your posts, just optimism and determination and a real drive to succeed. That's different. That's the smell of focus and commitment not desperation. I hope you didn't feel offended by my post - it was meant in the most positive way possible in that you sound different now compared to when you start in such a great way. It's lovely to hear.

I love to hear your new NSV's and can completely relate to everything that you say above. I still have a fair way to go but I feel amazing and proud and like I can hold my head up high which I didn't feel before.

I have all my fingers crossed for you tomorrow - I can't wait to see your new shiny :)

Gail x

Thanks Gail, I know you meant it with lots of love and support! I just have had a few people feel it's okay to criticise the 'old' me and I've found it quite hurtful. Very difficult to explain, but just a bit of a raw nerve. Not your problem!!!!! (((((hugs))))))

Saturday's food:

Berries
Muller light yoghurt
Bran flakes
Skimmed milk
Banana x 1
Spinach
Tomatoes
Baked beans + mushrooms
Quorn sausages x 2
Snack-a-jacks caramel flavour = 5 syns
Grapes
Steak
Omelette with mushrooms
Salad
Americano when out

TOTAL = 5 syns

Five stones! I've lost five stones!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yay. I cannot believe this – I have crossed into the five stones lost territory. Unbelievable. I feel kind of euphoric, although long way to go. It’s amazing to reach these milestones, isn’t it? Wow. I am so glad.

I tried really hard for the last couple of weeks, and I feel fantastic. Am so excited.

Well done!! You are doing brilliantly. Success will be putting a real bounce in your step and a HUGE grin on your face :D

Congratulations Honey :D And its taken you to <100 to go. Two milestones in one day, you cant go wrong with that!

Thanks Gail, I know you meant it with lots of love and support! I just have had a few people feel it's okay to criticise the 'old' me and I've found it quite hurtful. Very difficult to explain, but just a bit of a raw nerve. Not your problem!!!!! (((((hugs))))))

Hi Honey,

I am soooooo delighted for you about today's loss. You are a superstar. Well done. Yippeeeeeee.

I really relate to a lot of what you say (always !). I understand what you say, but it really wasn't meant as a criticism of the old you. Just a comment about how you'd changed. Maybe a criticism if you were like that but hadn't done anything about it (???? although maybe not even a criticism then - I've been there too) but definitely not a criticism. You used that desperation to put it into a really positive change, a really difficult change, one that so many people look for but don't always find. How much more amazing could that be. And now you are reaping the rewards big time and hopefully will continue to reap those rewards for a long time.

The old you wasn't a bad you (just as the old me wasn't a bad me - one that I was ashamed of at the time (although I'm not ashamed of the old me now) but not a bad me), but the new you is a great you. I'll shut up now because I'm probably no longer making any sense !

Well done Honey. Big hugs.

Gail x

How did I do this week?

(It's just a round up of my resolutions for 2011, and the progress I'm making on them)

Weight loss
I lose 2 lbs this week, and made the big jump to losing 70 lbs / five stones. Big milestone for me, and I feel incredible about it.

I tracked every single day and made very good food choices – I feel good about myself, and proud of how much weight I’ve lost. This has been a good week in terms of making progress on my biggest and most important goal.

Take two million steps in 2011
Making excellent progress on this. It works so much better for me when I’m gentler on myself, and this week I only had to take three gentle walks a day – which I did! After the first quarter of 2011, I have realised that small, consistent, regular efforts are much more effective than being too hard on myself and then inevitably failing. But doing really well on this.

Always wear sun block
Yeah, did this every single day this week

Money makes the world go around
I think this is going well. I took my lunch in to work every day, I didn’t buy coffees, I didn’t take taxis, I didn’t spend money any money throughout the week on random stuff like magazines. I did buy a grocery order, some clothes and a gorgeous lipstick. I feel quite well off at the moment, and am definitely in the groove with this one.

Fly Lady and Home
Oh this one is great! I decluttered my entire kitchen this week. I find that if I identify a specific area in my home then I can easily do it bit by bit through the week. And then it’s done. Wow, how easy is this? My home is beautiful and calm, and I have a lovely clear kitchen at the moment.

Back in the closet – putting my clothes away
Am doing well on this, clearing up each day. I’ve made a little change by dumping everything on my ironing board, and then clearing that twice a day minimum. It’s very easy, and not much of a change. I’ve also thrown out about three clothes that are too big and scruffy – which is a huge wrench.

Let the right ones in
Not really reached out to people this week – I spoke to my friend Steve, called my Mum a couple of times, met Toni and David. I’ve tried to be consistent and make an effort, but not really done a huge amount.

Keep the wrong one out
Well, we’ve had a great week – he’s been super attentive and super nice to me. I think it’s because I’m more confident as I lose weight, and he’s realised that he might lose me. I don’t know.

Honour my family and remember my past
I missed my dad a lot this week, just remembered how close I was to him and what a good relationship we had. That made me feel sad but loved.

Personally positive
I’ve worked hard on not allowing any self-pity, and trying to see the best in people. I think I’m quite an optimistic person, and I’ve definitely kept going with this goal.

My invisible gossamer wings of steel
I activated these a lot at work this week – they are so powerful and helpful, lol. I find that my dislike of my colleague is subsiding as she has less and less to do with me. I can focus on me, not her. Also helps that I feel okay about myself.

Howling at the moon
I don’t think my moods are going to be an issue this week hormonally speaking, but I have a lovely goal of counting to ten which is effective and makes me take a second to think about whether I’m being kind and considerate or not.

Simply gorgeous
I’ve done a lot of regular pampering this week – pedicures, manicures, facials etc. It seems to work a lot better for me doing something small each day for myself. It’s just about loving myself, valuing myself, spending time and effort on making myself as gorgeous as I can be. It really is for me

41.5 lbs to go in 2011

It’s not too bad actually – I can definitely get to my goal this year, to achieve 237.

I feel great about life actually – apart from Paul that is. But I love the fact that specifying where I want to be means that I might actually get there. I’ve left such a lot of wiggle room that it doesn’t feel too daunting or overwhelming. I think that if I continue for the next 35 weeks at the same rate as the last 35 weeks, I’ll be easily at target with months to spare in 2011. I’d ideally like to lose a lot more weight than that, but I’m trying to break it down into manageable chunks by year. I’ve mentally said that my ultimate ‘deadline’ is 31 December 2012. Next year I see very much in terms of slowly losing the last pounds to get to my goal weight, and then it’s going to be evaluating where I am, what if any surgery is needed, and getting my head into the zone of life time maintenance.

It’s not the best articulated plan in the world, but it IS a rough kind of a plan. And I am sticking to it; I lost 50 lbs in 2010 (from August onwards), and I am well on target for the weight loss for this year. Regular weigh-ins on Sunday, loads of accountability, lots of planning – I do feel like I’m in a kind of good path.

I read a blog of this guy online who is an absolute pillock. He’s a bit of a weight loss bully, and has lost nearly 200lbs in ten months, and thinks that very very speedy weight loss and extremely restrictive eating is the way to go. I don’t think he’s right, or rather, that would not be right for me. Crash dieting doesn’t work. I’ve lost a load of weight and put it back on. This has got to be a safe, long-term plan.

Ramble ramble ramble.

Two great things in one day about weight loss! Well, today I wore a shirt that I was really unsure about. It’s white with red poppies on it, and it never fit before. I wore it today with a white camisole and a grey skirt, and every single person I met this morning raved about it spontaneously – about 6 compliments on how I looked. Now, I suppose this is a compliment for my shirt, but losing 5 stones meant I could wear it. I am so stylish these days, I love clothes, colour and experimenting. It’s an amazing experience, and I love getting so many compliments. I feel beautiful.

Monday's food:

Berries
Muller light yoghurt
Bran flakes
Skimmed milk
Banana x 1
Apple x 1
Grapes
Salad (grated carrot, pepper, cucumber, grapes, tomatoes)
John West: tuna with a twist, Tuna with Oven-Dried Tomato & Herb Dressing = 3 SYNS
Snack-a-jacks = 5 syns
Be Good to Yourself, chicken chow mein = 8.5 syns

TOTAL = 16.5 syns

Well done!! You are doing brilliantly. Success will be putting a real bounce in your step and a HUGE grin on your face :D

Thank you O Marvellous Founder of our Sunday weighers th read :D I do feel fantastic this week, really optimistic and upbeat!

Congratulations Honey :D And its taken you to <100 to go. Two milestones in one day, you cant go wrong with that!

Oh I KNOW! And another milestone is that I am now under twenty stones - which is a huge one for me to be honest. This weight always was a massive milestone for me - although I do love celebrating them all, lol. Yay us!

Hi Honey,

I am soooooo delighted for you about today's loss. You are a superstar. Well done. Yippeeeeeee.

I really relate to a lot of what you say (always !). I understand what you say, but it really wasn't meant as a criticism of the old you. Just a comment about how you'd changed. Maybe a criticism if you were like that but hadn't done anything about it (???? although maybe not even a criticism then - I've been there too) but definitely not a criticism. You used that desperation to put it into a really positive change, a really difficult change, one that so many people look for but don't always find. How much more amazing could that be. And now you are reaping the rewards big time and hopefully will continue to reap those rewards for a long time.

The old you wasn't a bad you (just as the old me wasn't a bad me - one that I was ashamed of at the time (although I'm not ashamed of the old me now) but not a bad me), but the new you is a great you. I'll shut up now because I'm probably no longer making any sense !

Well done Honey. Big hugs.

Gail x

Thanks Gail, you always say the best things! It's all very complicated, and I barely understand myself most of the time, lol. You're all just lovely!!!!

well done you, what an acheivement. i loved reading through your resolutions, funny how we can all relate to each others feelings. xx

Things that work for me:

wanted to make sure I remember this for my weight loss goal for when things get tough ahead. I’ve lost 71.5 lbs, and have a long way to go. But here are some random things that work for me just now:

- have a good, easy breakfast: I need to have something simple, easy, low calorie and which I’ll always have in the house. So I have bags of frozen forest fruits/berries. I have a handful of those with bran flakes and a low fat yoghurt. Perfect for me. I don’t like faff in the morning, and porridge is too much effort.

- get up early, go to bed early: This is a good one, and I hit on it by accident. I’m never hungry in the mornings/afternoons (or inclined to binge) – that for me is an evening thing. So getting up at 6 and going to bed at 10 has really cut down on my ‘temptation’ time.

- have something else to focus on other than ‘diet’: walking for me has been a huge motivator and I walk to get to my goal of that, rather than anything else. It’s really good for me, has a huge impact on my weight loss, and is separate from it too.

- don’t have unhealthy things in the house: am not proud of this, but I just can’t have things in the house like biscuits etc. In a weak moment, I WILL eat them all and feel sick at myself. I order online, have loads and loads of food in the house, but no snacks or easy fixes. If I’m hungry, I can eat any of it – but no little crisps or biscuits in the house.

- plan what I’m going to eat: I do an online grocery shop once a week, and also I make my lunch the night before. I pack a bag of food for work – loads of fruit, sodas etc. I don’t buy lunch ever now, nor lattes. I have loads of food that I can eat. Makes a huge difference not to be buying convenience food from the cafe.

- take a daily photograph: I find evidence that I’m losing weight reassuring, and this works for me. Plus it somehow has made me much more confident in myself. I have seen hundreds/thousands of pics of myself, and I can appreciate my good points. Plus I can see my neck and shoulders changing dramatically.

- plan for failure: I read this in an excellent book. Motivation is great, visualisation is cool too, except it doesn’t quite work. I also need to be prepared for failure. There will be days when I stuff my face, can’t be bothered, comfort eat etc. I need a plan in place for when this happens. I kind of have this one set up already, but it’s an important aspect.

- accountability: I’ve done a lot of work on this too. I report back to multiple people/sources each Sunday how I’ve done. If I eat cakes/pastries/goodies at work, I’ve promised to give everyone there a fiver (this one is very very very good, but harsh!), and if I don’t reach my target this year I’ve got to give £1000 to the Tories. Which would kill me. Negative accountability or something. It’s a good tie too.

- don’t listen to other people: this sounds brutal, but now I’m losing weight people are desperate to give me advice. That’s nice, but I’ve kind of got an overall plan for this. I want to find a life long way of eating, this is not a diet for me, this is it. And that being so, it had to be flexible and not restrictive, broad principles and no weighing / obsessive calorie counting. Slimming World suits me fine, with its principles of fruit and veg, fresh meat etc. I don’t think I can ever really incorporate bread, booze or sweeties back in – which seems okay to me.

I’ll add to this over the year, thought it would be helpful to have this recorded for my future self when I struggle – which I will! But I will also keep going.

Tuesday's food:

Berries
Muller light yoghurt
Bran flakes
Skimmed milk
Banana x 1
Apple x 1
Satsumas x 2
Plums x 2
Couscous = 2 syns
Tuna = 3 syns
Sainsburys BGTY moroccan meatballs = 7.5 SYNS
Salad (rocket, tomatoes, peppers, cucumber etc)
Hot chocolate + strawberries = 2 syns

TOTAL = 14.5 syns

Wednesday's food:

Berries
Muller light yoghurt
Bran flakes
Skimmed milk
Bananas x 2
Satsumas x 2
Salad = 1 syn
Sainsburys BGTY chicken curry = 4 syns
Salad
Sainsbury’s Thai Green Chicken Curry 400g = 6 syns

TOTAL = 11 syns

Thursday's food:

Berries
Muller light yoghurt
Bran flakes
Skimmed milk
Bananas x 2
Satsumas x 2
Plums x 2
Apple x 1
Salad (rocket, tomatoes, pomegranate seeds, cucumber)
Sainsburys BGTY chicken curry = 4 syns
Mushrooms, asparagus
Salad (spinach, tomatoes, cucumber, pomegranate seeds, pepper, cucumber)
Be Good To Yourself chicken chow mein = 8.5 syns
Strawberries + grapes
Hot chocolate = 2 syns

TOTAL = 14.5 syns

I feel panicked this week that this is not the right way to lose weight. I know, it’s stupid isn’t it? But what if I’m slowing down and will stall/plateau soon? I don’t feel good about that.

Do other people have this anxiety about any system they are following – that it’s not working? Maybe it’s just me. I’m doing this as well as I can, and I feel good, but a bit like I’m a slave to the weighing scales. I dunno, it’s all very random.

I’m going to trust that slimming world is and will continue to be the right path for me, and stop listening to the little voices telling me to try other plans. After all here are the advantages:

- I eat plenty, and feel fabulous
- I’ve lost 71.5 lbs
- my skin is glowing with health
- I have energy and happiness

Stop thinking about plans like the Biggest Loser where people lose stones and stones in a few weeks. That’s not reality and it’s not sustainable. Slow and steady is the way to go, and this is just a blip in my thoughts!

Hi Honey,

I promise you're not on your own. However you HAVE lost stones and stones - your losses have been really excellent. I'm sure things will slow down but i'm equally sure that they will also pick up at times.

I feel a bit like that too at the moment having lost only 0.5 lb/week the last 2 weeks. However, I am still losing and I'm enjoying my food and eating plenty. So as frustrating as it might be (and maybe a little disheartening) it's all going in the right direction. I also have to keep telling myself 'what's the rush ?'. Yes, I'd like to be at/close to target but equally I feel really good, I look fantastic compared to how I did and if I was further along and closer to/at my target, what would be different ? Probably nothing because I will need to continue doing this in order to keep the weight off.

So big hugs and keep it up. You are doing BRILLIANTLY :D

Gail x

Sent from my iPhone

Back