A Taste Of Honey

Monday's food:

Berries
Muller light yoghurt
Bran flakes
Skimmed milk
Bananas x 2
Apple x 1
Salad (rocket/tomatoes/sweetcorn/sweet peppers)
Tuna pounch = 1.5 SYNS
Skinny latte = 2 SYNS
Salt and vinegar Snack-a-jacks = 5 SYNS
Salmons
Salad (rocket/tomatoes/pomegranate/blueberries/cucumber/cottage cheese)

TOTAL = 8.5 SYNS

Tuesday's food:

Berries
Muller light yoghurt
Bran flakes
Skimmed milk
Banana x 1
Apple x 1
Satsumas x 2
Plums x 2
Ratatouille (1/2 tin) = 1.5 SYNS
Mushrooms (1/2 tin)
Waitrose soup in a cup (tomato and basil)= 4.5 SYNS (don’t understand this, they are only 54 calories!!)
Sainsburys BGTY moroccan meatballs = 7.5 SYNS
Salad (sweetcorn, rocket, tomatoes, peppers, cucumber etc)

TOTAL = 13.5 SYNS

My perfectionism holds me back

I struggled with this today, and thought I needed to write about it properly. I am, as my entries will show, a very organised and challenge-orientated person in many many many ways. I’ve loved resolutions and goals since I was a little girl.
But it has a flip side, and that is that I see myself doing things really well for five days, not doing it on the sixth day, and then thinking I’ve failed and so giving up completely. This is especially appropriate regarding my issues with weight and food. I’m all or nothing, and that scares me.

Today for instance it emerged with my walking. I was running a little late, I had a big meeting, so I didn’t walk to work this morning, I took the bus. And at lunchtime, I didn’t get the chance to go out because again, meeting. I now feel like I’m coming down with a cold, feeling achy and sore, and I don’t really want to go back out tonight. I want to go to bed. But I also feel like I’m a failure, and that if I’ve failed at this, I’ve failed at my diet, etc. I had the most powerful urge to binge tonight, which was stupid – I’ve been eating really well all week, and today was exactly the same. But because I’m not ticking all the boxes I’ve set for myself, I automatically feel like I’ve failed so should stop completely, everything, and wait to start again and do it ‘properly’.

What a silly attitude. I can see that now I’ve written it out. But it’s a really powerful deep impulse in me, that doing it perfectly or not at all. Because actually, it’s not getting it right every time that counts, but sticking at it time and time and time again, through setbacks and everything.

Today I had a nice moment – it’s suddenly spring, I needed a coat. I pulled one out, it had paint on it. I panicked, and dragged out a light linen coat that has never fitted me. It was amazing – close fitting and snug, I could button it up and I looked so so so slim in it. It was amazing to see how far I’ve come, and I want to continue with this. It’s not about not walking one Wednesday in March that will stop me, it’s falling down and giving up and stuffing my face for no reason – I’m not even hungry or anything.

I struggle with this. I’m going to have a think about it. This site helps me a lot because it lets me see all the progress that I have made, how much I stick at it, and gives me confidence not to quit.

Lovely post Honey. It's great to write it down and then be able to come and re read them in the future. We are all quite different and yet in posts like this there is always some things that I can relate to.

Since I've been writing my diary, I haven't actually needed to reread it and try and remember how I felt when I feel good but I'm sure I will in the future.

You are doing so well and it's so lovely to hear you sounding so positive (in some ways) and so good about yourself. Sometimes I feel that I still have a long way to go and that I'll never ever feel 'slim' or 'normal' no matter how well I do, and yet other days I feel amazing and almost can't believe I'm still significantly overweight (although obviously I still am). Ridiculous isn't it !!!

Keep it up honey. You are doing brilliantly and it's fantastic for me to see the changes in you from when we first 'met' on here even though I've never seen a picture of any part of you !

Big hugs and good luck for this week.

Gail x

Lovely post Honey. It's great to write it down and then be able to come and re read them in the future. We are all quite different and yet in posts like this there is always some things that I can relate to.

Since I've been writing my diary, I haven't actually needed to reread it and try and remember how I felt when I feel good but I'm sure I will in the future.

You are doing so well and it's so lovely to hear you sounding so positive (in some ways) and so good about yourself. Sometimes I feel that I still have a long way to go and that I'll never ever feel 'slim' or 'normal' no matter how well I do, and yet other days I feel amazing and almost can't believe I'm still significantly overweight (although obviously I still am). Ridiculous isn't it !!!

Keep it up honey. You are doing brilliantly and it's fantastic for me to see the changes in you from when we first 'met' on here even though I've never seen a picture of any part of you !

Big hugs and good luck for this week.

Gail x

How are you so amazing, huh?????? (((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))

Wednesday's food:

Berries
Muller light yoghurt
Bran flakes
Skimmed milk
Banana x 1
Apple x 1
Satsumas x 1
Plums x 2
Ratatouille (1/2 tin) 1.5 SYNS
Mushrooms (1/2 tin)
Salad (couscous/rocket/peppers/tomatoes/blueberries) 1 SYN
Waitrose soup in a cup 4.5 SYNS
Satsumas x 2
Sainsburys BGTY chow mein = 8.5 SYNS
Salad (rocket/pepper/tomatoes/pomegranate seeds/ cottage cheese)
Berries + yoghurt

TOTAL = 15 SYNS

Thursday's food:

Berries
Muller light yoghurt
Bran flakes
Skimmed milk
Bananas x 2
Satsumas x 2
Basmati rice
Sainsburys BGTY chicken curry = 4 syns
4 x glasses of white wine = 24 syns
Sainsburys BGTY mushroom risotto = 4.5 syns
Rocket / pomegranates

TOTAL = 32.5 syns

Friday's food:

Berries
Muller light yoghurt
Bran flakes
Skimmed milk
Banana x 1
Apple x 1
Satsumas x 1
Moroccan couscous
John West: tuna with a twist, Tuna with Oven-Dried Tomato & Herb Dressing = 3 SYNS
Apple and blueberries
Rocket/pepper/tomatoes/cucumber
Be Good to Yourself, Chilli Con Carne & Rice = 7 SYNS
Berries + Yoghurt

TOTAL = 10 SYNS

Saturday's food:

Spinach, pepper, grapes, tomatoes
2 quorn sausages
Baked beans/sweetcorn
Low fat cottage cheese
Skimmed milk
Grapes
Spinach, cucumber, tomatoes, pepper
Salmon
Mushrooms
Asparagus
Apricots in fruit juice
Hot chocolate = 4 syns
Heinz vegetable soup = 9 syns

Total = 13 syns

How did I do this week?

I lost 3.5 lbs, which was fabulous and a big achievement for me. I’m so so so close to the 70 lbs (5 stones) mark, next week for sure.

Walking was not so good, because I had a cold and was off-colour this week. I did okay, and it’s really important for me not to get caught up in the cycle of perfectionism, all or nothing. It’s okay to look after myself when I’m ill and not feel like a failure.

Interestingly, when I decided I needed a weekend resting up, my first instinct was to buy goodies, because that’s how I comfort myself. I was really pleased that I didn’t, and just stuck to my normal eating patterns. Similarly, when I went out for a drink on Thursday, I didn’t go nuts and get a taxi and eat junk food; it was very weird, but these are significant changes.

N and work: I thought this was screwed up big time, but it turned out not be a problem. She’s bugging me less and less, and over patterns barely overlap any more. So that’s awesome and I’m proud of myself.

Counting to 10: I really made a big effort to take time to think before I speak, because of PMS etc, and that was a huge pay-off. I liked how many times I decided something wasn’t helpful. I’m a pretty nice and kind person, but it just made me even more considerate (how big-headed do I sound? Hah, my round-up, not a modesty channel).

Saving money: I didn’t use my credit card at all, I did a big online shop, and I didn’t spend much money at all in the week. I’m gradually adding to my savings. I bought one latte on the way to work, and took lunch in every single day as usual. No taxis at all either. This is a great goal, to be honest, and I’m doing well on it.

Sun block: yep, I wore sun block every day without fail. And I noticed that my skin is looking absolutely flawless at the moment.

Water: not so much, although better these last few days. Do I want this to be a goal? I never really bother with it too much.

Flylady and home: I wrote about this earlier, but having a cold made me realise how nice my home is these days. I do a little each night, shine my sink etc, and it’s really pretty relaxed and lovely considering how I work long hours etc. Doing really well on this.

Back in the closet: made a big effort with this, and doing really well again. All laundry up to date, all clothes (mostly) away, life is good here.

Cherish my friends: I did make an effort to reach out, and I am definitely doing more and more, and not letting myself get hurt over anything. Chipping away at it.

Keep the wrong ones out: argh, never goes well. We had a dreadful start to the week, but it gave me the strength to be less ‘nice’ to him at the weekend. I want to walk away from him properly.

Personally positive: I do try really hard with this one, and avoid self-pity most of the time. I have dark thoughts about having only one relative and all that, but there’s nothing I can do directly about that, so I focus on the positive.

Simply gorgeous: as I lose weight, I look better and better. My lips dried out with an anti-wrinkle cream, but good old Vaseline and not touching them sorted them out after five days. I’m feeling good about the positive changes. I’d like to take a little more time to regularly pamper myself, and maybe do more through the week? I get tired though.
I’ve tracked my food every day, am pleased at that.

• I’ve admired the beautiful daffodils and spring – I love nature
  • I’ve laughed and been kind
  • I’ve worked quite hard
I think, overall, I’ve had a good week, and if anything, I need to be kinder on myself and less judgemental. But I am making good progress on my goals.

Monday's food:

Berries
Muller light yoghurt
Bran flakes
Skimmed milk
Banana x 1
Apples x 2
Mango / pineapple
Weight watchers: Sweet Chilli Chicken & Thai Sticky Rice, chilled, 400g pack = 4 syns
Hot chocolate = 2 syns
Snack-a-jacks = 5 syns
Salmon
Mushrooms
Asparagus
Salad (rocket, sweetcorn, tomatoes, cucumber, sweet pepper)
Couscous = 1 syns

TOTAL = 12 syns

loved reading you're dairy, so postive, well done for the weight loss and getting into that coat. It's a great feeling isn't it:D

loved reading you're dairy, so postive, well done for the weight loss and getting into that coat. It's a great feeling isn't it:D

Thank you!! Yes, it's a fabulous feeling - it's better than comfort eating for sure. I felt wonderful when I put it on, and it's a great motivator for me

Tuesday's food:

Berries
Muller light yoghurt
Bran flakes
Skimmed milk
Banana x 1
Apple x 1
Satsumas x 3
Sainsbury’s ratatouille (1/2 tin) = 1.5 syns
Mushrooms (1/2 tin)
Salad (rocket, sweetcorn, peppers, tomatoes, cucumber, couscous) = 1 syn
Hot chocolate = 2 syns
Strawberries
Be Good to Yourself, Chicken Chow Mein = 8.5 syns
Asparagus, carrots, mushrooms
Salad (rocket, pepper, cucumber)

TOTAL = 13 syns

Hello my friend from Sunday Weighers :D

Just had a little nose at your diary while I had a few minutes before I dash again and I had to stop to say how much I enjoyed your recent post about your weekly report on how you did! You sound as if you are working towards and getting to a really good place in your life and in your head, and that is just lovely! It genuinely put a big smile on my face reading your thoughts and reflections on life, I think we could all do well to follow this example and take a step back and reflect once in a while!

Anyway, I couldn't read and not reply .... so more wiffling from me!! Someone slap me! That's my new catchphrase that is, only for today though :p :D

Hello my friend from Sunday Weighers :D

Just had a little nose at your diary while I had a few minutes before I dash again and I had to stop to say how much I enjoyed your recent post about your weekly report on how you did! You sound as if you are working towards and getting to a really good place in your life and in your head, and that is just lovely! It genuinely put a big smile on my face reading your thoughts and reflections on life, I think we could all do well to follow this example and take a step back and reflect once in a while!

Anyway, I couldn't read and not reply .... so more wiffling from me!! Someone slap me! That's my new catchphrase that is, only for today though :p :D

Hey lovely down under OzzieMoz! Thank you so much, I do love taking thirty minutes on a Sunday to look at the week past and the week ahead - it kind of centres me. I thought I'd post here my round-up of the week, see how it's gone :D

Hope you're having a great day today, am so pleased your mother in law gets to come home, that was really nice to hear.

((((((hugs)))))

PS do I have to slap you?! :p

Wednesday's food:

Berries
Muller light yoghurt
Bran flakes
Skimmed milk
Banana x 1
Apple x 2
Satsumas x 2
Plums x 2
Sainsbury’s ratatouille (1/2 tin) = 1.5 syns
Mushrooms (1/2 tin)
Salad (rocket, peppers, tomatoes, cucumber, couscous) = 1 syn
BGTY chilli con carne with rice = 7 syns
Asparagus, carrots, mushrooms
Salad (rocket, pepper, cucumber)

TOTAL = 9.5 syns

Thursday's food:

Berries
Muller light yoghurt
Bran flakes
Skimmed milk
Bananas x 1
Satsumas x 2
Apples x 2
Salad (rocket, tomatoes, peppers, cucumber, grapes, couscous) = 1 syn
John West tuna with a twist = 3 syns
Sainsburys BGTY mushroom risotto = 4.5 syns
Rocket / pomegranates / mushrooms / asparagus / sweetcorn
Hot chocolate = 2 syns
Strawberries/grapes

TOTAL = 8.5 syns

Hi Honey,

Sorry, I had meant to reply on last weeks post earlier but I read it on my phone and then forgot ! I think you are doing brilliantly. You sound so focused and happy with what you're doing. I remember when I first met you here, you always posted great things but you sounded so desperate to lose weight that I was willing you on and thought about you every Sunday when we weighed in. But you sound different now. (I know this is only online but it feels like things have changed). You are (rightly so) really proud of what you have achieved and confident that there is more to come (and there certainly is). It's really lovely to read.

So big hugs and see you tomorrow on 'the other side' !!

Gail x

Friday's food:

Berries
Muller light yoghurt
Bran flakes
Skimmed milk
Banana x 1
Small roll @ lunch do = 5 syns?
Quorn fillets with olives = 3 syns
Rocket, tomatoes, sweetcorn, grapes
Couscous = 1 syn
Hot chocolate = 2 syns