A Top Tip for Portion Sizes

Loopy

As we all know the dukan diet is to help us loose weight but also develop a healthy lifestyle.

To make sure I don't overdose on veg on my PV days. I've found this tool:

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/5ADAY/Documents/Downloads/5ADAY_portion_guide.pdf

This booklet in black and white states how much portion of each fruit and veg is recommended.

The general rule is 80g but its specific too e.g. 8 Brussel sprouts ect..

If ure anything like me, before the dukan diet portion sizes were never measured just eyeballed a mountain of food and gave it the thumbs up because it was fruit and veg. But for me I think this will help me make the healthy choice.

I hope if others have the same difficulty that this tool is helpful for them too. Also it can be downloaded to 'iBooks' on an iPhone so readily accessible when cooking :)

Bon appetite

It's the general guide :/

Im concerned that due to my usual habits I'd end up eating too much veg on a PV day and therefore slowly increasing my portion sizes which might end up affecting the long term outcome and efficiency of the diet for me.

I'm under the understanding that certain veg is unrestricted on portions but I think for myself this will help me to better judge moderation and help me in stabalisation phase :)

i hope my plan of attack doesn't go against any dukan rules.

P.s well done on your weight loss it's fantastic!! :D there's so much inspiration on here - it's fab :)

More and more I think that the dukan diet is a excellent education. I've learnt so much so far about salt, fat, carb and sugar quantities - I especially like the food traffic light labelling :)

I buy the 'Yeo Valley' 0% fat yogurt. Its quite expensive usually £1.50 per tub but on offer its 2 for £2.50. But i've read a few threads that say Asda's own 0% fat yogurt is just as nice and half the price. I also know others make their own fat free yogurt, but im still hunting for a good recipe.

The plateau is annoying, but hang on in there :) its so worth it and you're off to a flying start with the 8 pound loss - which is no easy task!

If you stay the same (STS) for a while, ive read on here it can be helpful to post up a short diary of your meals as other dukans can offer advice to small improvements that can create big weightloss changes and help you to get going again :)

All the best of luck to you :)

Heres the nutritional information for the yeo valley yogurt :

Per 100g
Energy = 59kcal
Protein = 5.9g
Carbohydrates= 8.5g
Carbohydrates of which are sugars = 8.5g
Fat = 0g
Fat of which are saturates = 0g
Fibre = 0g
Soduim = 0.09g
Salt = 0.23g
Calcium = 172mg

I hope this helps :)

That's great thanks!
It looks like your yogurts have a similar nutritional value to the ones I eat so that makes me feel a little better! Haven't updated my status but am now -12.5lbs! Only 5lbs to go but it's obviously resisting coming off! You're doing really well too :0) keep going :0)
Do you drink diet fizzy drinks? X

Wow only 5 pounds to go, I am very jealous :) :)

I'm under the understanding that - Dr Dukan does permit one diet fizzy drink every other day, however I find that drinking the fizzy drink makes other food and drink taste less good.

I find its like going out for a meal, you order salad, your friend orders pizza, and if u try a fork full of their meal suddenly your salad seems tasteless. Its the same with me for diet fizzy drinks. So at the moment im avoiding them.

When it comes to drinks I do indulge in: skimmed milk, early grey tea with some fresh lemon juice or twinnings red berry herbal tea. I find these provide me with something more natrually sweet and really works for me :)

That's great thanks. I have probably been having a diet fizzy drink every other day. Had stopped them altogether but then re-introduced them because I was bored! I'm wondering if this is contributing to my plateau.

im a dukan dieter newbie so wouldn't know too much about what contributes to a plateau, but its always worth giving it a try :) i know that 5PP : 5PV days is meant to be more effective at weightloss than the 1PP: 1PV, but the benefit of this pattern is its more maintainable, but if ure still struggling maybe try the 5:5 ratio. (im new so might want to check a more experienced dukaner as i wouldnt want to pass on inappropriate information.)

That's quite a good idea actually! I'd not thought about swapping my ratio around. I tend to do PVx1 day then PPx1 day. I'm quite new to this myself - only about a month. Desperately want to reach my target for 22nd feb as I'm off to Cuba!

I have zero diet coke every day, usually about 3 glasses. Dr D actually says he advocates 1cal drinks as these will help contribue to our fluid intake. Try not to drink any fruity type ones, coke or sparkling water are besst.

My yogurts are Asda smart price LF, although I do make my own.

Thanks re the veg, I have a problem with putting to much on my plate, but then I only like certain veg and loooovvveee salads!

In my book and a leaflet i have Dr Dukan does not restrict the amount of sugar free fizzy drinks :)
I have sts for a while but have been having sf fizzy drinks daily since day 1 and when i cut them out for a week there was no difference.
Hope this helps

I have a diet coke or Pepsi every day and its never affected loss. I never have more cos i cant sleep if i have it after 6pm and there is a limit to how much fluid a body can take.

Veg is not a problem I have what I want ( usually 1/3 veg to rest protein) and I make sure I chose approved veg. But i have to watch i cos i love veg and any excuse and im at the trough...

Yogurts I have 0% total Greek yoghurt if possible but also yeo valley 0% and sometimes Activia 0% fat raspberry or apricot if I'm feeing lush...
but I am just maintaining so don't take this as gospel

im a dukan dieter newbie so wouldn't know too much about what contributes to a plateau, but its always worth giving it a try :) i know that 5PP : 5PV days is meant to be more effective at weightloss than the 1PP: 1PV, but the benefit of this pattern is its more maintainable, but if ure still struggling maybe try the 5:5 ratio. (im new so might want to check a more experienced dukaner as i wouldnt want to pass on inappropriate information.)

In the original French book, 5PP / 5PV was the absolute way to go but, in time, he amended his views when people saw him in private consultations in his Paris office (then on internet, tv interviews, etc) having found that, except for morbidly obese people, the losses weren't particularly different to the 1PP / 1PV regime BUT the side effects were worse (constipation, boredom, etc.!).

So I'd hang in with the 1PP / 1PV if I were you :)

As for veg portions on PV, try to imagine your plate having two third protein on it and one third veg... and, if you're losing slowly, aim more for the green and leafy ones rather than the sweeter carby ones.

Thanks guys - will stick to my alternate days PV/PP and continue on a diet Pepsi every other day :0) think I'm gonna have to switch to natural yogurt though and add sweetener :0/

Back