A type 1 / Type 2 question

Petrichor

I'm just wondering what everyone thinks of the name "diabetes" and what it means to you?

The general public would say its people who have eaten too many sweets or something similar, which might be the case for some T2's, but I must admit, as a T1 who has an auto immune disease, I feel a little let down (and not even sure who by!).

Why is it Type 1 or 2, Mody, etc, when essentailly, its the treatment thats the same and not the illness? Does anyone know? Ive sometimes thought maybe it was that the difference was discovered later than the set of symptoms?

Now that I'm overweight, and an adult (diagnosed as a child) I feel that people look at me with a knowing look, as if to say, "yes, you look diabetic"

sorry if this offends anyone, it's not in any way meant to, just feeling a bit rant-y

Hi Petrichor
Diabetes

I was diagnosed Type2 17 years ago at the age of 62 . At the time I was only about 10½ stone which was definitely not overweight. My mother and her sister were diabetic so I should not have been surprised but I was.

Over the years age and arthritis have slowed me down considerably. Two years ago I needed a hip replacement so I have not been very mobile and my weight is now 14½ stone.

Like you I get knowing looks that it's my fault I am diabetic because I have eaten too much! It makes me mad too and it's surprising how little most people know about diabetes. "Type 2 is not as serious as Type 1" -Oh yes it is, the results could be the same with, in the worst cases, amputations and blindness. This is what we live with every day.

:argh:

I was diagnosed Type2 17 years ago at the age of 62 . At the time I was only about 10½ stone which was definitely not overweight. My mother and her sister were diabetic so I should not have been surprised but I was.

I think understand what you mean. You have a condition that you where born with and not something that can be caused by lifestyle choices (and other reasons, I know, but often this is the one that is "judged"). I have a friend who is a type 1 diabetic and emphatically states "type 1" when discussing it. My father is a type two diabetic, he is fat and getting fatter, he does nothing to help himself, takes no steps to address it, eats cr*p all day and injects insulin. His cousin is the same age and now on an insulin pump and sleeps with an oxygen mask, I though seeing this would motivate Dad to do something but it doesn't.
My friend and Dad may use the same treatment but I feel in no way should be considered to have the same condition, one can do nothing about it and the other can but chooses not to.
I think this is what you meant, is it?

I think essentially you are saying that you don't want to be associated with the stigma of type 2 diabetes. Possibly we could work together being a bit 'ranty' against the stigma rather than adding to it?

Back