Accountability 101

EtchaSketch

Clearly, when left to my own devices I become significantly overweight so here I am, writing a diary to hopefully help me avoid my pitfalls and actually begin losing weight.

I was previously on Cambridge to help me get pregnant and found that having weigh-ins was helpful as was having someone there who was liable to judge me for poor choices (or at least discuss why I made those silly choices). I lost 6 stone. And promptly gained 5 stone back when I was pregnant. My daughter turned 20 months yesterday, and I am still weighing what I did a week after I gave birth. In fact I gained even more after I was pregnant, but with being more sensible recently I've been able to slowly lose a little of what I gained.

I am missing feeling the way that I did before pregnancy. Yes, sleep, but also how easily I moved, how active I could be, how I felt trying on clothing and of course how I felt about myself.

Yesterday I fell off the wagon, less than a week in. Not because I'm not enjoying the diet, but because I am self sabotaging. I've made three loaves of fresh bread, a pizza with homemade dough and my downfall: a tray of homemade cinnimon rolls.

So, here I go. If I have to write down how I'm doing, hopefully I will be urged to not tempt myself into silly decisions.

So far today, I've stuck to it. 2 meals and 2 litres of water. Just have to make it to bedtime!

Weigh in was today and I've lost 4 lbs. I imagine what the loss might have been had I not gorged on baked goods the day before yeterday, but heigh ho... Onward and upward (except on the scale, I'd like that to be moving downward). Hopefully next week I will see a more profound drop.

I left the house without anything to eat today so ended up buying a Atkins Bar. It's not ideal, but I could have made a worse choice I think. The net carbs are very low despite the calories being higher. I will need to be more careful about packing a lunch in future. Otherwise I've stuck to the plan. I'm drinking plenty of water (3+ litres/day) and enjoying the food, it's SO much better than Cambridge or 'snip'*. I don't think I'm in ketosis (on account of my slip), but I'm hopeful that it won't take long to happen.

Tomorrow I am at work and incredibly busy so shouldn't find it difficult to not think about food. Though, my caffeine intake will be much higher. I really ought to try to cut down on the amount of coffee I drink. But I enjoy it and need it to keep the energy up. One change at a time I think. Coffee is a vice I will have to drop next. Still working on food.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also came to the theory that writing about the diet may make it easier to stick to. We're in the same boat too - I was on Cambridge, then got pregnant, and now am trying to lose everything I put back on...rubbish.

Good luck! :)

(Your baked goods sound DELICIOUS by the way)

Good luck choufleur! How old is your little one? Have you been back for long? I'm really disappointed in myself for regaining everything I'd lost. However, I am getting to the stage that I'm really motivated and determined to succeed again.

Today, I'm feeling particularly 'in the zone'. I'm thinking that it's likely that I'm getting into ketosis. I had a killer headache last night, despite drinking loads of water throughout the day and I'm conscious that my breath could be fresher. I went to Holland and Barrett and bought some zero noodles. They were significantly less disgusting than I had expected. Though, I can't say that serving them with the tomato soup was as nice as I'd hoped it would be. Not a fan of the tomato soup, or at least not the way I served it. I think the noodles served as part of a veggie stir-fry would be quite nice. I might save them for the 'refeeding' stage, but could definitely see myself eating them again, which surprised me.

Overall, a pretty good day. One more sachet left to eat today, which will probably be a hot chocolate later on. I'm feeling really positive and starting to enjoy this.

I really can't eat another pack today. It's not because I don't like them, but I think those noodles were a lot more filling than I was expecting. Not feeling hungry is great, but I don't want to be missing out on the calories and nutrients that my body needs. Might need to avoid being greedy and eating the whole packet next time.

I want CHEESE!!!! I have had three packs so far today and am debating if I will have a protein/veg meal or a fourth pack. I think that I really ought to stick to the four packs for the time being, or at least until I've established ketosis. Just need to decide which one to choose. I'm thinking something warm and salty.

I'm finding it difficult to resist the lovely food that is in my house. It was much easier o do this kind of diet tbefore I had a child and didn't need to have a fridge and cupboards full of yummy nibbles.

More water, last pack of the day and then some more water. If that doesn't hit the spot, maybe a cup of mint tea.

I added 25g of prawns to a curry packet. Had one bite. Really wishing I had stuck to the 'only four packs', but I'm feeling cold and wanted more.

Really need to change my attitude.

Good luck choufleur! How old is your little one? Have you been back for long? I'm really disappointed in myself for regaining everything I'd lost. However, I am getting to the stage that I'm really motivated and determined to succeed again.

Thanks! He's nearly 5 months which has given me a couple of advantages (no food in the house for him, lots of walks etc) however I've just remembered that I'll be starting to wean in a month or so and am now worrying how hard that will be if I'm not eating the food too to convince him to do it!

I'm also disappointed but I think we've both got good motivation & determination to lose it all again. Keep strong! I'm doing the four packs too for the first week & mixing two of the same meal pack together at the end of the day which unbelievably does keep me pretty full all evening.

Good luck :)

I'm doing the four packs too for the first week & mixing two of the same meal pack together at the end of the day which unbelievably does keep me pretty full all evening.

That's a good idea to mix two packs in the evening. I don't have a problem with only having a shake and a small bit of something at lunch, but the evenings are SO difficult. I'll try making two at a time tonight and see how it goes.

I weighed myself this morning (naughty, I know, but I can't help myself) and I've lost 4lbs since Tuesday! I'm very pleased with myself. I'm hoping that week 2 is 'my' week to drop the pounds. As long as I can avoid baking devilishly yummy things I should be ok. It's really motivating to see the weight coming off. Certainly strengthens my resolve.

I really want to be at a healthy weight so I can be a good role model for my daughter: fit, healthy, active and happy.

I've had a good day and was definitely in the zone today. I am focussed and determined to succeed!

Choufleur, I took your advice and tried two packs for dinner. It was a lot of food and I definitely feel full! I'm sure that I can manage the rest of the evening without eating. I've plenty of water and I think I'll have a mint tea before bed.

I treated myself to a non-food reward and think I will do so again. A massage was exactly what I needed. Relaxed, full of a warming dinner and ready for a quiet evening. :)

SO cold! My daughter and I attended a toddler's birthday party this morning. We were only outside for an hour, but my goodness it's cold. I'm still not warm, even after several cups of tea and a warm lunch. I will be needing to have a bath a little later on I think.

I've not seen the other mummies in well over a month and I'd already started to lose some weight before starting SS, so they were very complimentary. It's nice to hear that I look 'well', even if it is code for - 'you look less fat than when I last saw you.' I can live with that. The effort is starting to show off and I'm feeling really good about that.

Oh its lovely to have such compliments makes you feel the hard work was worth it.

Im with you on the cold front im constantly cold all the time. Its not nice and I have to have a shower to warm up.

Glad the two packs trick worked! It really did for me, looks a huge amount & also feels it in your stomach, all lovely and warm :)

Hurrah for compliments! I know what you mean by the "looking well" comments...but at least your hard work is definitely showing.

I'm also freezing at the minute...it just started last night. Is it a sign of being in ketosis?

I think it I'd a sign if being in ketosis. I'm already cold all the time so it doesn't take much for me to catch a chill. Still haven't had that bath, but well do so now I think. Little one is in bed and despite the heating being on full blast my insides are still cold.

Think another double meal night beckons. That or a meal followed by a hot chocolate pack.

Well another pound down this morning, but the darn Ketostiks are still showing only a weak reading. I've been 100% for a week now. I suppose I'm not feeling hungry so maybe I should disregard the readings.

I'm out this morning with a couple friends and their little ones. I'm sure I can avoid eating. Perhaps I'll bring a bar along to tide me over until we get home. I still have a hard time admitting that I'm on a food replacement diet. I don't feel strong enough to explain why this works for me and other diets don't. I think there is a misunderstanding about these diets, but I don't feel like I can justify my choice to 'not eat' to others in my life. My husband really doesn't like that I'm on the diet, my mother would be agast and my friends would make judgements. It's nice to have support here at least.

Well another pound down this morning, but the darn Ketostiks are still showing only a weak reading. I've been 100% for a week now. I suppose I'm not feeling hungry so maybe I should disregard the readings.

I'm out this morning with a couple friends and their little ones. I'm sure I can avoid eating. Perhaps I'll bring a bar along to tide me over until we get home. I still have a hard time admitting that I'm on a food replacement diet. I don't feel strong enough to explain why this works for me and other diets don't. I think there is a misunderstanding about these diets, but I don't feel like I can justify my choice to 'not eat' to others in my life. My husband really doesn't like that I'm on the diet, my mother would be agast and my friends would make judgements. It's nice to have support here at least.

I know exactly what you mean about the judgment. I passed on an evening at a friend's house on Friday because people were bringing dishes of food & I didn't want to have to explain over & over how the diet works and why it works for me over any other. It does sound extreme and faddish, but it works like no other...and has the science backing it up.

In sure I remember reading once that ketostiks are never completely accurate. Like you say, as you're not hungry you must be in ketosis!

When's your official weighing day?

Back