'Add a meal' idea?

But it tastes nothing like rice! :) Guess it's the same colour ;)

The Ruby Tuesday's here In Kuwait used to serve creamed cauliflower as a
Low carb alternative - it was delish :-D

Grated cauliflower is a good rice replacement. It doesn't taste of much but has a similar consistency to rice. My bf can't eat carbs so has stuff like this. He just puts it mainly underneath curry, but still acts as a relatively good replacement. Also you can make mock mashed potato out of cauli.

There are also muffin in a minutes (mims) made from flax seed, which can be made into muffins or then bread. I did Atkins for a while, which is great, but as a veggie means being super organised.

Another idea is replacing lasagne sheets with white cabbage. I have a lovely recipe where you fill them with mushrooms & blue cheese & cover in a tomato sauce. You'd never know it was cabbage. Also, using long slices of courgette instead of spaghetti.

As a binge eater, anything carby is a trigger so will try not to bother introducing some stuff as it's easier than exercising discipline. At least not short term.

I have a few low carbs cookbooks which are good. They use soya or almond flour to replace normal flour generally.

Hope this helps.

some fantastic ideas there Thankyou

im not much of a cook , but I might have to start being a bit more organised

perhaps i need to invest in a freezer and one day a month have a big cook up and freeze everything into meal sized portions

Being veggie if I'm not organised then it's really difficult. When I was eating & being organised, on a Sunday I would cook up onions & garlic with any leftover veg in the fridge, some lentils & stock, add a few tomatoes & some curry paste & simmer down for an hour. It's a healthy & tasty way not to waste anything. Then there's always something in the fridge. Alternatively, instead of adding tomatoes & curry paste use some blue cheese as a little goes a long way. I tend to make soups with as much green veg as I can find & add some dolcelatte & a little mustard. You'd never know it was full of kale & cabbage etc. I do have lots of these in the freezer. It's really useful doing stuff in bulk, I just have to make sure not to keep picking at it!

Don't worry Phoenix we're both in the same boat :). I am going to make a bit more of an effort post diet though and cook healthier things from scratch so I can see what's going in them. Have the bars turned up yet? I ordered some more yesterday as I seem to have these more often than the S&S bars these days.

yes very impressed with the size of the meal replacement mint choc bars but the snack bars are tiny ive got choc nut , so now im a bit confused , i bought 10 mint bars and 40 choc nut , wishing now it was the other way round lol

they were due to arrive yesterday but would you believe it at the one hour of the day that im out on school run , so i had them changed to delivery today

big debate about mixing vlcds , is it a bad time to admit i ordered slimmm shakes too lol

its purely for financial reasons tbh

Haha don't feel inadequate, I can't say I do it all the time as would definitely not be on a vlcd if I was so organised. Do find it helps to make lots of stuff so have a big soup/stock pot pan thing that does loads. I also like to do stuff in the slow cooker as you can do loads with little effort. I've only been on vlcd for ten days but already realising am going to have to prioritise cooking good stuff from scratch & making the time.

Don't worry about admitting to the shakes, if you're happy mixing then it doesn't matter. I just don't want to feel worse than when am just on one & will be trying to conceive soon so want to have as many vitamins as I can, otherwise wouldn't bother. Never even heard of slimmm!

Phoenix, I did the same. I decided at the end of jan that I wanted on this asap but couldnt afford 2 weeks worth. Got the samples. Loved it. Then I got some slimmm packs on the cheap (approved food) plus 1 week's supply of s+s..I have been having 1 slimmm thing a day so have managed with limited s+s I have. However I get paid next week and will be buying a 5 week supply. I know there was a bit of a debate about it lol. I feel great so it's fine. And just for about 2-3 weeks.

I don't think that the Slimmm shakes are VLCD. The carbs are approaching 30 I think and they're not meant to be used as a VLCD (it's a 2 products plus meal diet like Slimfast I think). They would kick you out of ketosis for sure. I've ordered a packet of the Slimmm things too but mainly because I intend to use shakes etc. when I'm maintaining.

Re the bars - the snack bars are about the same size / weight as a S&S bar (but are not MRP) whereas the mint ones are full MRP. You can always order some more mint :). They have a 'lucky box' offer for £1 going at the mo (they're lucky dip and quite popular although I've never ordered one) and they have a 'free shipping' offer if you buy the 30 Special K mini breaks for £7 (so essentially it costs £1.75 for the mini breaks). So if your son would eat those then you could get them from him or if not perhaps you could keep them and put them by for maintenance?

I just ordered 45 mint to use now plus 48 snack to use when I'm refeeding / maintaining plus the Special K thingies. I also ordered a breakfast and a berry fudge bar from Asda to try them out just in case they get some of those flavours in too. Cost me £3 for 2 though instead of for 6 :).

Biggest Loser bars from Approved Food (only the mint ones are suitable for meal replacement). They're slightly out of date so it depends on whether you worry about this sort of thing or not, plus they're not S&S bars so you'd have to decide whether it was right to mix and match as no one should advise you really.

ok ill put those shakes away for maintanance , havnt had chance to look at the contents yet but was going to of course

no big deal , just means im stocked up ready

ill try a mint bar before i order more , in your experience do they always have them or are they likely to sell out soon BG , as im new to AP

ill definitely be ordering from them again but probably not yet and ill check out the free delivery items and if they are worth it

my son has cereal bars , muffin bars and mini cheddars and iced gems galore , he thought it was xmas when i opened the box , so hes sorted for a while

im already looking at some of the items for maintenance , cous cous instead of pasta ?? they do alot of those ready made , not ideal but ok when your in a hurry

I've no idea I'm afraid Phoenix as I've only done 1 order from them too (came a couple of weeks ago) and I just ordered again a couple of days ago having tried the bars out. I think it's one of those places where they get things in in and when they're gone they're gone. The really popular things sell out toute suite I believe. The naans, poppadums and mini cheddars I ordered have all gone already. I first saw them advertised on here and at that time they had the BL Breakfast and MRP chocolate bars too but I guess they've all gone now. I didn't get round to ordering then for whatever reason so just ended up with the mint plus a few snack bars. I do like mint though so it's nae bad :)

I've just had courgette ribbons fried in some bouillon with spring onion, a few grinds from my garlic and chilli grinder with 100g of king prawns and OMG it was amazing! The bouillon made a kind of thick soup / sauce thing once I had reduced it down it tasted a bit like an oyster sauce dish from the Chinese so good! I used 1 courgette, 1 spring onion (totaled 200g) and it made quite a big portion.

Could definitely serve this for the family only with rice or noodles so you're not all eating different things.

X

Suze012 said:
Well there u go low carb alternative to rice, shame i dont like it lol would be nice with chilli i guess x

My OH hates cauliflower, hadn't eaten it for 30 odd years until I introduced him to cauli rice!!

On Atkins I grate the cauli in a food processor, add olive oil to the pan or frylight, pour it in when it's hot and fry away until bits start turning golden, I then scrape to one side and add 2 whisked eggs, scramble them around until they start breaking up and separating and then mic into the cauli rice!

I also add seasoning at this point! It taste nothing like cauliflower which is surprising and my OH loves it!

Give it a try x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

what seasoning do you add?

Avon Rachel said:
what seasoning do you add?

Usually a little salt and lots of pepper and five spice....you can add almost anything really...

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Back