Adding walking into your day

Discussion in 'Fitness Health and Exercise' started by xxlettyxx, 11 October 2010 Social URL.

1. xxlettyxx

xxlettyxx Full Member

Start Weight:
    11st11lb
    Current Weight:
    11st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st4lb(2.42%)
    Diet:
    Calorie counting
    Has anybody made a difference to their weight loss by building walking into their daily lives?

I used to drive to and from work and sit down most of the day, but after writing my car off last week :sigh: I'm going to be walking a total of two hours a day, to get to work and back. And I'm hoping it'll get my weight loss kickstarted again!

Clouds and silver linings..

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. xxlettyxx

xxlettyxx Full Member

Start Weight:
    11st11lb
    Current Weight:
    11st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st4lb(2.42%)
    Diet:
    Calorie counting
    Well, I weighed myself this morning and I've lost 4lb since Sunday! :D it's working!

4. Vixs

Vixs Full Member

Start Weight:
    16st0lb
    Current Weight:
    12st3lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st0lb
    Lost(%):
    3st11lb(23.66%)
    Diet:
    JUDDD
    I do a power walk for 30 minutes during my lunch when I'm at work. Definately feel my legs getting stronger and toned. :)

5. xxlettyxx

xxlettyxx Full Member

Start Weight:
    11st11lb
    Current Weight:
    11st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st4lb(2.42%)
    Diet:
    Calorie counting
    Works doesn't it Vixs :) hopefully after a few weeks I'll start to see less wobble on my thighs :D

6. Vixs

Vixs Full Member

Start Weight:
    16st0lb
    Current Weight:
    12st3lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st0lb
    Lost(%):
    3st11lb(23.66%)
    Diet:
    JUDDD
    I've been doing that for 7 weeks now along with my normal workouts that I do in the evening. Walking is definately a great exercise.

7. zebredy

zebredy Sci-Fi Geek

Diet:
    WW
    I don't walk that far but do at least 30mins-2hrs a day at the moment (weather pending)average about 1 and half hours a day.

Add that to all the Wii Fit stuff I have been doing lately and I can see a huge difference.

I seem to be loosing loads more weight (well even a 1lbs more then normal is a lot to me at the moment)

Certainly makes me want to continue walking, especially as it is so relaxing, I can go for ages, listening to my music while I walk...

8. xxlettyxx

xxlettyxx Full Member

Start Weight:
    11st11lb
    Current Weight:
    11st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st4lb(2.42%)
    Diet:
    Calorie counting
    30mins - 2hrs is really good zebredy :) it definitely makes you want to keep it up when you see the weight coming off! And I agree, it's just lovely walking along and listening to your music :D

9. Emilie

Emilie Full Member

Goal Weight:
    11st6lb
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    my partner and i lost a stone each 2 years ago by going on daily 45min to 1hr walks together. It really makes a difference, keep up the good work.

10. Aline

Aline Gold Member

Current Weight:
    7st9lb
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    maintenance: healthy eating & exercise
    I always go to work walking and it makes me feel that I actually have an active lifestyle. I go to the gym 3 times a week. I complement that with walking everywhere and use stairs only ;)

11. xxlettyxx

xxlettyxx Full Member

Start Weight:
    11st11lb
    Current Weight:
    11st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st4lb(2.42%)
    Diet:
    Calorie counting
    That's what I like about it, feeling like I have a moderately active lifestyle. Before I started walking I was doing next to nothing! I think when I've lost some more weight and get closer to goal I'll join the gym to step it up a bit, and to tone.

12. zoemee20

zoemee20 Full Member

Start Weight:
    12st0lb
    Current Weight:
    10st6lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st8lb(13.1%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    the only time I walk is 15mins to take my daughter to playgroup n 15mins back and thats really slow pace aswell and maybe 15mins round the shops so about 2 hours a week in total!! yikessss i do go to workout classes but onyl when other halds back at work - i dont work so i should walkmore!!! snow isnt helping! im def gno give myself a challenge of walking at least 30mins a day! abit hard with a moaning toddler that she wants to walk - and walks about 0.05mph lol

13. fit-by-30

fit-by-30 will not be fat and 30

Start Weight:
    13st7lb
    Current Weight:
    13st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st10lb
    Lost(%):
    0st2lb(1.06%)
    Diet:
    Slimfast
    Hey Letty - hows the walking going?

I am just about to start adding more into my day with at least an hour on the school run.

I used to walk at least 6 miles a day and I found it was great for my attitude too. It really helped me keep my head clear and positive.

Have you kept it up?

14. xxlettyxx

xxlettyxx Full Member

Start Weight:
    11st11lb
    Current Weight:
    11st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st4lb(2.42%)
    Diet:
    Calorie counting
    Hiya,

Yep I've kept it up, it definitely helps with the weight loss and you're right about attitude to, it helps to keep my head clear and I sleep better at night too :)

15. missjelly

missjelly Silver Member

Start Weight:
    19st9lb
    Current Weight:
    15st10lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    3st13lb(20%)
    Diet:
    Heathystuff + gastric band!
    Hi all,

Never really been a massive fan of walking - I've always lived in busy city areas and don't like just 'walking' through throngs of people. Then, I moved to the countryside but lived with family in a street-ey place - again, not a fan of just walking along pavements and then back again..

But now I've moved into my own place and have discovered there's a massive field-ey area behind my back gate! So, two days running now I've gone for a wander which I love so much more... mud, hilly bits etc, that's what I like from walking :)

So far, I've managed .6 mi the first day and 1.8 the next. I know it's not a lot, but I'm working on it :) do any of you think it will actually make a difference to my weight/size doing this daily? Is it not enough to shift some lbs? =/

16. Dreamer

Dreamer Gold Member

Start Weight:
    237lb
    Current Weight:
    224.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    198lb
    Lost(%):
    12.5lb(5.27%)
    Missjelly, I got an Omron pedometer and walk at least 5 miles a day (2 half hour walks usually, and some pacing about) and along with eating more sensibly, I lost 9 lbs in 2 weeks. I'd guess if you walk 2 miles a day (20mins walk in morning, and 20 mins in evening for example) and eat sensibly you might lose weight a bit quicker, I would guess half a pound a week or so as it's 4hrs 40mins walking in a week which burns about 1400cals which is just under half a pound.

17. Viva La Diva

Viva La Diva A Brit living in the USA

Start Weight:
    18st9lb
    Current Weight:
    12st12lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st0lb
    Lost(%):
    5st11lb(31.03%)
    Diet:
    The Veggie One !!! Low fat and low cal all the way !!!
    Hi xxLettyxx I have just restarted walking this week, i became very lazy with it, but now am in the swing of things !!! Walked everyday since New Year's Day, no excuses really as I have an all singing all dancing Treadmill, plus I live near lots of different walking trails / river walks !!!!!
    Years ago it really helped me shift a lot of weight over 6 stone, and bonus is I really do like walking once I get going !!!

How are you doing ? Did you see my 20 MILES A WEEK CHALLENGE on here ???

Diva x

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.