Dismiss Notice
Welcome to MiniMins! Be sure to check out our complete listing of diets on the front page including Slimming World, Exante, Weight Watchers, Cambridge Weight Plan, Herbalife, and hundreds more.

Advice from runners please

Discussion in 'Fitness Health and Exercise' started by rachel1984, 10 November 2011 Social URL.

1. rachel1984

rachel1984 Full Member

Start Weight:
    11st12lb
    Current Weight:
    10st8.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st7lb
    Lost(%):
    1st3.5lb(10.54%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Right, I'm thinking of setting myself a challenge. I'm currently following the c25k programme and have just finished week 5. After completing this the plan was to do the bench to 10k.

BUT.................................

my partner is a runner (I trained and ran a couple of 10k's with him last year - but my fitness has gone since then). He is also 30 in March. 2 days before his 30'th there is a local half marathon. The chances are he will be doing this. I thought it would be a nice surprise for him if on the morning of the race I put my running clothes on as well and ran the race.

The theory behind this is great...............in practice though - will I be able to achieve it by the beginning of March. The race is 16 weeks Sunday. I am currently attending the gym 4-5 times a week. I always use the treadmill but often the bike as well. I have just started introducing weights as well.

My plan is to finish the c25k (by then I will be able to run for 45 minutes. As well as following the b210k after that I thought I could include one 'long' run every week where I would increase the mileage every week. I know I won't be fast but it would be such an achievement and I can imagine the smile on his face when he sees me crossing the finish line :)

Is this do-able or am I living in a dream world???????????

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. rachel1984

rachel1984 Full Member

Start Weight:
    11st12lb
    Current Weight:
    10st8.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st7lb
    Lost(%):
    1st3.5lb(10.54%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Oh, and I mean bridge to 10k not bench!! D'oh!!!

4. MartinD

MartinD Full Member

Start Weight:
    16st8lb
    Current Weight:
    13st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st8lb
    Lost(%):
    3st1lb(18.53%)
    Diet:
    SW
    yay what a great idea

you need a plan - easiest option is use something like this
    My ASICS. running clubs also beneficial - they cater for all paces dont think they are elite athletes

you can create a personal running plan/training diary. Why not create one and see how you feel. It is do-able, but some half marathons are harder than others

However....you need to be running a few times a week on the road. Treadmills are useful but you cant beat road running to be properly prepared. Run to a time, distance or pace and vary them but the plan should help show this. Make sure you have proper running shoes - a second alternate pair isnt a bad idea (I buy Asics, get them off ebay having sized and tested them in the shop).

Weights and x-trainer etc., will be beneficial but you need to focus on runs. The nike/iphone tools are very good if you use them as well.

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.