Advice from runners please

rachel1984

Right, I'm thinking of setting myself a challenge. I'm currently following the c25k programme and have just finished week 5. After completing this the plan was to do the bench to 10k.

BUT.................................

my partner is a runner (I trained and ran a couple of 10k's with him last year - but my fitness has gone since then). He is also 30 in March. 2 days before his 30'th there is a local half marathon. The chances are he will be doing this. I thought it would be a nice surprise for him if on the morning of the race I put my running clothes on as well and ran the race.

The theory behind this is great...............in practice though - will I be able to achieve it by the beginning of March. The race is 16 weeks Sunday. I am currently attending the gym 4-5 times a week. I always use the treadmill but often the bike as well. I have just started introducing weights as well.

My plan is to finish the c25k (by then I will be able to run for 45 minutes. As well as following the b210k after that I thought I could include one 'long' run every week where I would increase the mileage every week. I know I won't be fast but it would be such an achievement and I can imagine the smile on his face when he sees me crossing the finish line :)

Is this do-able or am I living in a dream world???????????

Oh, and I mean bridge to 10k not bench!! D'oh!!!

yay what a great idea

you need a plan - easiest option is use something like this
My ASICS. running clubs also beneficial - they cater for all paces dont think they are elite athletes

you can create a personal running plan/training diary. Why not create one and see how you feel. It is do-able, but some half marathons are harder than others

However....you need to be running a few times a week on the road. Treadmills are useful but you cant beat road running to be properly prepared. Run to a time, distance or pace and vary them but the plan should help show this. Make sure you have proper running shoes - a second alternate pair isnt a bad idea (I buy Asics, get them off ebay having sized and tested them in the shop).

Weights and x-trainer etc., will be beneficial but you need to focus on runs. The nike/iphone tools are very good if you use them as well.

Back