Advice Needed Please

I do aqua fit once a week, while I am doing aqua fit my OH and son go swimming, but my daughter chooses not to come anymore, she has brought a friend along with her in the past but has since lost interest. All she seems interested in is Computers, TV and fighting with brother! so I think I will have to involve her in the kitchen first - then see where that leads us.

Lyn

Try asking her what she would like to do. Maybe if she likes fighting she'd enjoy a martial art. At least that will be great for her self defence as she turns into a young woman and one more weapon in her arsenal against her brother must be a bonus too....lol. Tell her there will be some fit guys there for her to meet as well. :flirt2:

Lyn, I just wanted to say I think its fab that you are looking for ways to help your daughter :) ...... just make sure she knows that she needs to want to help herself and do this for herself ! Maybe now is a good time to ask her to join you in the aquafit again ?

I second what gobolino just said, what you are trying to do for your daughter is fantastic! I was unhappy with my weight when I was your daughters age (although I was a size 12 and 5ft 8 so I think this was more to do with being surrounded by a load of size 8 bullies than actually needing to lose weight!) and I didnt know where to start other than hitting the diet pills and I'd hate to think of my little one doing that in future.

I sound like your daughter actually in terms of what I eat. My mum still dispairs of me, as did my old consultant when I went to group. I dont like fruit and veg, although Ive trained myself to eat quite a lot of veg and apples and pineapple now. I didnt eat yogurts with what I call bits in them for twenty years until recently. I couldnt stand wholemeal bread or pasta until I forced myself to eat it and now I actually quite like it, I cant eat fish or shellfish (unless its tuna from a can) - I sound like a child!! I'm getting better at long last though and luckiy it's having a knock on effect with my daughter because she has become rather fussy with her food and no doubt thats down to her watching me when she was younger. Because I was on my own for years after she was born I barely cooked a meal unless it was for her so she saw me munching through takeaways or packets of pork pies and sweets - no wonder her eating habits are just as bad as mine are! Luckily I seem to be correcting this slowly, she's actually eating meat that isnt processed, which believe me is an achievement and she's eating a small variety of fruit and veg now rather than none at all, but her eating habits do remain a constant worry and she does have a bit of a tummy on her - this is probably more to do with my mum feeding her treats at every possible opportunity and a bit of puppy fat though.

My daughter needs to get a bit more active too. We dont have a garden so she only really exercises at school during p.e. We go to the park at weekends, or she runs around my mums garden when she has her for me, but I keep encouraging her to switch of the tv, even if it's just to play in her room instead of sitting infront of the tv or at the table drawing. She used to like playing on a wii fit actually, maybe your daughter would benefit from using one of those if she likes computers. I know id certainly go on it after my daughter went to bed if she had one!

Good luck with helping your daughter, it sounds like you're doing a great job already and she'll appreciate it when she's older, even if she does throw a strop now!

Back