Advice needed please :)

How's the form everyone? Well I started SS last Monday so nearing the end of my second week but by god am I bored. And not of not eating food, that seems to be fine it's that I want to get absolutely stoshus and go on a good drinking session. A mate is coming up tomorrow and know's I'm on this and has suggested we do something non-alcohol based.

I have re-read the alcohol thread twice over and completely understand the problems that can occur while drinking in a ketotic state, but say if tomorrow i decided, stuff it, i'm getting blocked, then if i ate a loada salad and chicken and that tomorrow morning and afternoon then bate the drink into me, would that be grand?

Also if i wanted to start back on the SS again straight after (like Sunday) how would this work, weight wise?

Thanks for any advice and I truly realise that this is probably a trivial problem compared to what others go through and don't want to take any light of that at all.

Cheers

You need a carb rich meal to protect your liver when it's processing the alcohol! I did a day off for a wedding and had a glass of wine, got back on plan straight away the next day! My loss for the week wasn't fantastic, 2lbs, but it was worth it!

If you decide to have a day off and think you can be strong enough to go straight back go for it! Just make sure you have something carby first!

You need a carb rich meal to protect your liver when it's processing the alcohol! I did a day off for a wedding and had a glass of wine, got back on plan straight away the next day! My loss for the week wasn't fantastic, 2lbs, but it was worth it!

If you decide to have a day off and think you can be strong enough to go straight back go for it! Just make sure you have something carby first!

Thanks for replying :) . I'm not talking about a glass of wine I'm on about a full on session, like a good 8 hour drinking session. I don't know if that would be wise at all, I would definatly go back on the diet straight after as I am enjoying it and I save money while doing it (I think)

What would you suggest to eat then?

Pasta potatoes bread baked beans all high on carbs, so maybe something like a tomato pasta bake with garlic bread, or a jacket potato with cheese and beans!

Pasta potatoes bread baked beans all high on carbs, so maybe something like a tomato pasta bake with garlic bread, or a jacket potato with cheese and beans!

If I ate that, would it bring me out of ketosis, and would I be able to get drunk like a normal person not on cambridge? And also how would it affect my weightloss if I started back up the next day?

Cheers :)

Afraid I don't know the answer to that one maybe someone else on here will be able too.. :D

Definitely bring you out of ketosis and you will probably gain some water weight but getting straight back on sole source will knock that off soon enough, just remember that you'll have to get yourself back into ketosis and you're likely to feel crappy doing so because the body is getting rid of the alcohol from the day before x

You MUST eat a lot of carbs to be able to drink or else you could die, especially if you're drinking so much. At the moment your liver isn't protected at all. I would have a couple of days of eating.

You will probably get drunk faster than you used to as you're smaller and your body will be all MMM SUGAR YUMYUM at the alcohol. 8 pints of strong beer have about 1600 calories in, that's 3 days food on this diet (and 109% of your weekly recommended alcohol units - BBC - Radio 1 - The Surgery with Aled - Newsbeat's Booze Calculator). Plus all of the carbs you ate to protect yourself.

You will be completely out of ketosis and so will have the 3 day adjustment period to get back in again. You may still have a loss this week, or maybe a small gain, but it won't be close to what you potentially could lose.

It's more dangerous if you lose I think, because then you will do the same in 2 weeks when you're bored again, and keep breaking the diet and it won't work for you that way :/

I really wouldn't do it so early on in the diet, I'd offer to drive and drink water/black coffee or just not go. I know that sounds boring but ask yourself what's more important? One night out with your mates or losing weight? For weddings and birthdays I come off the diet but not just to go out and get pissed.

Sorry if I sound preachy I don't mean to!!! I get bored too doing this diet, I've just borrowed a box set of Dexter and House and got out knitting needles... I'm a 28 year old single woman sitting alone on a Saturday night knitting and drinking water!! But it's only for a few months, and then I will be out in a short dress looking amazing. I know the dress won't give you quite as much inspiration but try and think like that for a few months ;)

If you do go out - have a FAB NIGHT!!!

Did you see in your reading we actually had someone on here cause herself liver problems by doing this and that was only a few glasses of wine over the odds - I think you're talking about a bit more than that ;) - If you really must not go hell for leather and get banjaxed straight out of ketosis, I would advise at least a couple of days of full carb eating and a couple of days after if you really want to go all sheets to the wind.

I know you're just asking to see what's possible, but I think I need to highlight quite how serious this is. You're not talking about a couple of small glasses of fizz to join in with a family celebration. So I'm going to sound harsh here, but I would question why you are on a VLCD if you want to plan to get smashed during it. Coming out of ketosis should be taken slowly.

If you think this is a good idea, I would ask why you haven't had this conversation with your Cambridge consultant. I suspect it is because you know what the answer is. I am all for people bending the rules to make this fit into their life, but you are asking to do something very dangerous here. If you made yourself seriously ill and your GP and the press found out you were on Cambridge you could put using this plan under risk for every single one of us. Think of it that way.

You MUST eat a lot of carbs to be able to drink or else you could die, especially if you're drinking so much. At the moment your liver isn't protected at all. I would have a couple of days of eating.

You will probably get drunk faster than you used to as you're smaller and your body will be all MMM SUGAR YUMYUM at the alcohol. 8 pints of strong beer have about 1600 calories in, that's 3 days food on this diet (and 109% of your weekly recommended alcohol units - BBC - Radio 1 - The Surgery with Aled - Newsbeat's Booze Calculator). Plus all of the carbs you ate to protect yourself.

You will be completely out of ketosis and so will have the 3 day adjustment period to get back in again. You may still have a loss this week, or maybe a small gain, but it won't be close to what you potentially could lose.

It's more dangerous if you lose I think, because then you will do the same in 2 weeks when you're bored again, and keep breaking the diet and it won't work for you that way :/

I really wouldn't do it so early on in the diet, I'd offer to drive and drink water/black coffee or just not go. I know that sounds boring but ask yourself what's more important? One night out with your mates or losing weight? For weddings and birthdays I come off the diet but not just to go out and get pissed.

Sorry if I sound preachy I don't mean to!!! I get bored too doing this diet, I've just borrowed a box set of Dexter and House and got out knitting needles... I'm a 28 year old single woman sitting alone on a Saturday night knitting and drinking water!! But it's only for a few months, and then I will be out in a short dress looking amazing. I know the dress won't give you quite as much inspiration but try and think like that for a few months ;)

If you do go out - have a FAB NIGHT!!!

I know yer right like. I would buy a bottle of bacardi or whatever is the lowest calorie alcohol and drink that. I'm still in two minds as what to do. I only plan to have another 2 weeks of this anyway then drink for a while for graduation and what not.

I didn't mind the 3 day thing, my mental hunger was worse after. Decisions decisions eh, if I do do it then I'd have a bucking massive carb meal then the lowest caloried alcohol drink I can find in the shop. Certainly not pints of Guinness or anything.

Did you see in your reading we actually had someone on here cause herself liver problems by doing this and that was only a few glasses of wine over the odds - I think you're talking about a bit more than that ;) - If you really must not go hell for leather and get banjaxed straight out of ketosis, I would advise at least a couple of days of full carb eating and a couple of days after if you really want to go all sheets to the wind.

I know you're just asking to see what's possible, but I think I need to highlight quite how serious this is. You're not talking about a couple of small glasses of fizz to join in with a family celebration. So I'm going to sound harsh here, but I would question why you are on a VLCD if you want to plan to get smashed during it. Coming out of ketosis should be taken slowly.

If you think this is a good idea, I would ask why you haven't had this conversation with your Cambridge consultant. I suspect it is because you know what the answer is. I am all for people bending the rules to make this fit into their life, but you are asking to do something very dangerous here. If you made yourself seriously ill and your GP and the press found out you were on Cambridge you could put using this plan under risk for every single one of us. Think of it that way.

I think you're getting a wee bit excited here Cerulean. So if I showed the press that thread about folk making themselves ill on alcohol while partaking in the Cambridge diet they might shut the whole thing down? I doubt that, what about medical prescriptions ye can get where you are advised not to mix with alcohol, would they also be taken off the market because someone mixed them with alcohol? I have also just texted my councillor, I thought 11pm last night was a bit too late :)

Maybe you're right about being on the VLCD, I took it as the lazy option to losing weight fast, but maybe if I am having serious thoughts about ending it at the end of week 2 I should be on it.

But yeah I think I just need to drink a pint of cement and harden up and realise why i am on this thing in the first place.

Easier said than done though

I kind of agree with Cerulean! There was a woman who was on a VLCD who drank about 4 litres of water in one go and died - this gave a lot of bad press to VLCDs....so you think if you drank loads of alcohol and died, it would have no effect on the reputation of VLCDs?? Just my opinion of course, and I'm not telling you what you should do....however....LOL!!.....

I wasn't going to answer as I didn't want to be negative and couldn't really think of anything positive to say, then came back here and found that you had sort of answered what would have been my response anyway! Why are you doing a VLCD? I felt exactly the same way - first few weeks I craved wine and a curry like nobody's business! I was so angry that I couldn't have a take away and was in a foul mood driving past the chippy and seeing people carrying armfuls of food. However, I've got past that now, and am so happy I did. I don't want to be a fat lump, I want to be 'normal' and not have the little voice in my head taunting me when I meet someone new, that they are thinking "hey porker...."

I think you need to decide what you want more and go with it....

I've been on loads of nights out on CD... Just make sure you have something carby to line your stomach before drinking. I had a subway last time (it was rank!!!) and I was fine... Not saying you shouldn't listen to the medical advice and stuff but I've always been alright! Just be careful as you probably won't be able to drink as much as you could before so pace yourself.

The only thing I struggled with is the next day if I'm a bit hungover I always want to eat crap to make myself feel better. So I end up having 2 days off all together.... Which doesn't give me a good weight loss that week!

It's totally up to the OP if he decides to go out or not, but he just needs to be aware that he probably won't have a good loss if so, and I dunno if it's worth it!

Back