Advice needed please

capricorn76

Hi all,

Please help!

I have been steadily gaining weight since I had my son 9 years ago. Up until that point, I was always slim.....Obviously, I dont blame him, haha, but I have gained about 6 stone in that time.

I have tried the usual slimming clubs etc, but would like to try something else. About 2 years ago, I was about a stone lighter than I am now and I asked my doctor for Xenical and was told "no, try the GI diet, it worked for me", very unhelpful! Since, that time I have gained more weight!

Im really not sure what to do. Without a perscription, I cant get it and I dont want to buy suspicious tablets over the internet.

Could anyone offer me any advice please.

Thanks
x

Hi! Well I would definitely try the doctor again - is there another GP at the same practice who may be more helpful? However, having said that, they will usually want you to lose some weight by yourself first, to show you can do it and get into healthy ways of eating. Because even though Orlistat will give you some help along the way, it's very much still down to your own hard work and perseverance that the weight will come off; it's far from being a wonder drug! And the second big however - even if you do get the drug prescribed, you'll find it extremely hard to get hold of at the moment. Many of us haven't been able to get them for months now, as Xenical is not currently in production, and tje genetic version, Orlistat, only appears sporadically and pharmacies basically have waiting lists for it!

I think the main thrust of my advice would be yes, keep trying to get Orlistat, as it does help, but in the meantime start on a low calorie, low fat eating regime that can only stand you in good stead.

All the best. xx

I hate it when a doctor presumes they know what will work better for you than you yourself. I agree with everything that Tracy has already said. I would say to go to another Doc within the practise as soon as poss and ask for the tabs. If they are hesitant then negotiate with them, get them to weigh you and tell them you will lose weight within the next few weeks to show how serious you are about it and then lose it for the next appointment. Good luck, I hope you get to see a better Doc this time

I completely agree, see another GP, we have 5 at our surgery & I htink I just got lucky as most of the GPs at our surgery don't agree with the meds as they see people who have lost & pile it back on but I hope to be proof that doesn't happen so they can stuff off! I have a friend who wanted WLS & was going to pay for it as her Drs said no but she went about something else & saw a different partner at the surgery who agreed & she got a gastric band... I wish you lick with your journey x

Thank you girls!! I will go and see a different doctor and hope for the best. Trouble is, you have to wait ages for an appointment unless its an emergency at our surgery, grrrrrr!! LOL. Fingers crossed.
x

Can you still get alli these days? Although expensive, you could use that until you can get an appointment at another dr...

Back