advice on carbs

biggy

Hi,
ive been on ll for 6 plus weeks and am going on holiday this wednesday to canada, snowboarding, so physical, its my intention to eat normally, but have been warned by my councillor that to start eating carbs again would be hazardous to my liver, could anyone advise on this subject, iv lost 3 stone 9 pounds so far
cheers
biggy

Don't know about the danger to the liver, but going from 100% LL abstinance to suddenly eating "normally" again is going to be a huge shock for your body; possibly even moreso than going from food to LL in the first place.

You are probably best off eating little and often building up to your holiday, so you can 'prep' your body for eating full-on meals again.

Enjoy your holiday!

Hi,
ive been on ll for 6 plus weeks and am going on holiday this wednesday to canada, snowboarding, so physical, its my intention to eat normally, but have been warned by my councillor that to start eating carbs again would be hazardous to my liver, could anyone advise on this subject, iv lost 3 stone 9 pounds so far
cheers
biggy

Hiya Biggy,

Congratulations on your great weight loss so far!

I'm not sure if you have any more weight to lose or not, but I just wanted to warn you about eating whilst on holiday, this may not apply to you, but just wanted to give you my experience.

I did CD last year, which is more or less the same as LL, but without the counselling. I went on holiday and decided that I would eat, I decided that I would just eat protein and green veg, but it didn't stop there and I couldn't stop myself. I kept thinking "well I'm on holiday, I'll start again when I get back". I tried so hard to get back on it and made it to a couple of days on packs, then gave in again, then tried again.

Cut a long story short, I had 3 holidays last year and each time I took my packs with me and lasted a few days, then just ate again.

I had lost 2.5 stones, but by the end of the year I ended up putting on 3.5 stones!!!!

My CD counsellor did tell me that once I started eating, I wouldn't be able to stop, and I just though "yeah right, no not me".

Not saying that this is going to happen to you, but please have a really good think about eating when on holiday, I'd hate for you to go through the same experience as me.

Louale x

Last edited:
Danger is piling on the weight, that's what happens like the above the example and certainly i have seen it with others. That goes for all diets not just this incidently

thanks for your comments people as to wether i need to loose more, another five stone would be good, but yeah im gunna try to be good, i will update and advise to what happens on my return

biggy

Maybe you could do the Atkins whilst on your holiday? This will allow you to eat but be very low carb. I think to go back to eating "normally" is a very slippery slope, especially after all you have achieved. Good luck.

im back from me hols

ok so,,,,,

well im back from my hols and to be honest i tried to eat sensibly, this worked to a degree, the beer got a bit much, but then i was on holiday,
so to the scales when i got back home, i had put on 4 lbs, and am now back on the powders and bars and am going well again,
i did do alot of excercise boarding for 5 to 6 hours a day, and had a great time,
so the moral of this story is for me that i expect to be able to modify my eating and maintain a normal bmi,
once i achieve my goal,
again thanks for the advice and i will keep you posted on my losses as they happen,,,,,;)

Thats brilliant - well done!
We have to start eating sooner or later and by planning it I'm sure you felt the control was still with you and as you're back on track straight away I'd say thats pretty impressive!

well done for getting back on to LL.
sounds an exhausting sort of holiday to me!
daisy x

hey biggy
I went on a two week holiday to Egypt in the middle of abstinence with the best of intentions to stick with the packs. However, as I passed out 4 times within the first day I decided to just enjoy myself and eat.

HOWEVER...I stuck to proteins, veg and salads and had minimal carbs. Didn't have anything sugary, deserts, alcohol, crisps, fruit drinks on the beach etc.

I wasn't eating because I wanted to. I HAD to to have a healthy holiday.

I started back on packs on the last day of my trip and didn't eat again until I went onto management 3 months later.

I lost 7.5lbs in the two weeks 'off'.

Given you'll be exercising all day I'm sure you'll be fine to eat 'normally'. However, BE SENSIBLE! this isn't a free ticket. If you eat too much you'll put on weight. Eat enough to give you the energy you need (small amounts of slow release carbs) and I'm sure you'll be ok.

Plus, get straight back on it on your return home. Don't wait until the day you get back to work. Do it as a matter of priority!

Maybe set yourself a goal to lose 2lbs, or just stay the same. That way you won't go overboard.

Whatever you do, enjoy yourself....but not by bathing yourself in mashed potatoe and sausages!!

Take it slow and be kind to yourself

Have a great holiday!!

ps Not sure why your LLC said carbs would harm your liver. Very odd thing to say. Is she saying you should never have them again? Think she's got her wires crossed...or tried to give you a message in a bit of a cockeyed way!!

sorry for the long winded mail...just realised you've already BEEN on holiday!
Hope you had a great time and well done on getting straight back on the packs...it's the key to success!!

thanks

Hi Rachel

thanks for the post dated encouragment, yeah i tried to keep off the carbs, but to be honest i felt quite tired and in need of the energy to keep me on the slopes,
so mashed and boiled potatoes it was and healthy salads etc with a protein shot of ribs, steak or chicken, it all went really well and i was back on the shakes etc by the time i got of the plane, so all is good

thanks guys

Dave

Back