Advice- Proposed LL counsellor is a mum up at the school!

Stardreamer

Supportive
Please can you tell me if you thinks this a good idea or not. When I registered my interest on the lighterlife web site the closest counsellor to my home address came up as a mum at the school where my children go. Infact her daughter is in my daughters class. I have always really like this lady and was surprised to see her on the website. I knew that she was a cousellor of sorts but never realised her involvement in lighterlife. My personal concerns are what I may be telling her about my life which might come up at the meetings. She has reassured me that it confidential. I am due to start on 5th November.

Please can you tell me if you thinks this a good idea or not. When I registered my interest on the lighterlife web site the closest counsellor to my home address came up as a mum at the school where my children go. Infact her daughter is in my daughters class. I have always really like this lady and was surprised to see her on the website. I knew that she was a cousellor of sorts but never realised her involvement in lighterlife. My personal concerns are what I may be telling her about my life which might come up at the meetings. She has reassured me that it confidential. I am due to start on 5th November.

I am sure everything you say will be 100% confidential, and if you like her that is part of the battle too! In fact because she "knows" you it could actually help her to help you battle your food demons as well.

But, I would imagine that it could be difficult to lay yourself bare infront of her and if you think that may jeopardise your success then why don't you see if there is someone else reasonably close by that you can go to?

Hi like flopster said its 100% confidental............shes not allowed to breath a word you say.Go for it you wont regret it hun :)
xxc

Ah now - half of me says - go for it - it is confidential and you'll probably do group rules at the start of your first meeting to make sure that everyone understands that. You like her, which is great, and you'll have frequent contact with her which will really help you on your journey.

One of my clients is a mum at the school where my kids go - which I didn't know for weeks after she first came to me - I just bumped into her in the playground (couldn't think where I knew her from for a nano-second lol) and it's fine/nice/cosy to have that client/counsellor relationship as well as a friendship.

My concern is that I know a lady who went to LL - a different group to my old one - who was horrified when one of the group told her neighbours all about my mate's personal life. Totally out of order and it put my mate off from going back there!

In all, I would say - go for the initial meeting and see how it goes. If you are in any way concerned about a breach of confidentiality, don't talk initially about anything too personal (that you wouldn't want your worst enemy to know). But I'm pretty sure that you'll be fine.

xxx

Hi Yes thinking about it Isobel is spot on,maybe after your inital 1st meeting you could explain how you feel and she may reassure you or is there another LLC near you?
XXC

Personally I wouldn't go to a counsellor I know....I would prefer to start day one with the others in my group not knowing each other and not knowing the counsellor either - this way you are all in the same position. Although it is confidential I personally would always have that little doubt at the back of my mind that something may be said outside of the meeting and I don't think I would be 100% myself....

This is just my opinion of course - whatever you decide I wish you lots of success.....VLCD's are life changing stuff:)

Love

Thank you for all your comments. It means soo much as you all have more experiance than me. I have decided to go with the cousellor for now. I have a good positive feeling about her. I saw her this afternoon in the playground and told her how desparate I was to start. She is now taking me on earlier. Instead of starting on 5th November I am now booked in for next Tuesday 24th October. I am so excited and looking forward to the long journey ahead. I know that when I am having a bad time all that I need to do is come to my new friends on here.
xx

Back