Advice

hayley18

On the 2nd March i have a staff final night out, and i would like to drink. it will be the last time i see some of these people so would like to enjoy myself. what would be the best way to bring me out of ketosis for this occasion ? i plan to get straight back on SS+ on the sunday.TYA
xxx

Hi :)
Any form of alcohol will bring you out of ketosis and then it takes 2-3 days to get back into it. Could you not just drink soft drinks?
My consultant always tells me 'Its better to eat than it is to drink alcohol' x

i know i will be out of ketosis, and not drinking isnt really an option, im not going to drink to excess but just enough to make me jolly haha. its been a long time since i have drank and i just want to have a good night out for the last time with work friends. i was just wondering what would be best to eat before the saturday xxx

Protein! Chicken, vegetables, salad.

that wont bring me out of ketosis will it tho? xxx

No it won't just pick foods from the list of your Cambridge steps book and you will do fine :) Good luck with your journey xxx

If the plan is to drink I would make sure you have a solid meal before going out. Perhaps meat, veg and a few potatoes for carbs. This should bring you out, while still being relatively healthy.

You NEED to come out of ketosis fully before you drink any alcohol or you risk making yourself very poorly. Make sure you eat "normally" on the day you are going out if you must drink while you are out.

You NEED to come out of ketosis fully before you drink any alcohol or you risk making yourself very poorly. Make sure you eat "normally" on the day you are going out if you must drink while you are out.

Agreed (sorry, didn't mean to stalk you again Cazza but I left this post for a bit of a think then came back to it! :)).

Alcohol in itself won't bring you out of ketosis. Sugary mixers with alcohol, yep, they might. But you'll find your ability to hold your alcohol whilst in ketosis is greatly reduced. As in, you'll be completely tiddly on 2 glasses of wine. Drink a bottle and you might find you lose consciousness or start throwing up. Not good. :(

The science bit - well, the body burns alcohol in preference to fat. If you drink in a state of ketosis the fat burning mechanism is temporarily switched off while your body burns off the alcohol. Alcohol's not a great fuel - the body sees it as toxic, which is one of the reasons why it burns it first. Your brain doesn't work well on alcohol (well, we all know that, right? :)).

If you're going to drink more than a unit or two of something alcoholic you need to come out of ketosis. You'll come out of ketosis pretty quickly - within minutes of eating a carb laden meal in fact. Have something substantially carby a short while before you go to the event. If you're planning on drinking a lot, have something else to eat later on during the evening. And then get straight back on track the next day - often easier said than done, cos your body will probably demand more carbs. Ignore the cravings, drink plenty of water and you'll be back into ketosis within a couple of days.

Hope you have a good time. :)

Hi, I actually drank on Friday night while in ketosis and was violently sick and ill for 24hours unable to keep even small sips of water down, worst hangover ever! and safe to say I will not be drinking for the duration of this diet. I drank vodka and diet mixer and didn't come out of ketosis at all...
I suggest you eat complex carbohydrates such as sweet potato or Quinoa rather than simple carbohydrates such as potatoes and pasta.
Complex carbs turn to glucose in your blood over a much longer period of time, which keeps your insulin levels from rising really fast. Increased insulin levels lead to more fat storage. Also simple carbs make your blood sugar spike and then fall.. which makes you feel hungry again.

I should have taken my own advice. Lesson learned for me. Hope you have a great night x

If it is that important for you to have a drink may I suggest you have a carby meal the night before then perhaps beans on toast for breakfast and then a sandwich or something for lunch and a small meal before you have that first glass? It can be dangerous to drink during ketosis as above have explained. Get straight back on it the next day, shouldn't take you as long to get back into ketosis.

I am craving for some alcohol that is why I am doing this diet as I know how dangerous it can be and I need that restriction.

Good luck and have a good night.. x

Hope everything went ok haley? Hopefully you didnt drink? or your getting back into ketosis now :) best wishes xxx

Back