Afro Caribbean section

mama_mia

Silver Member
Hi all,

Thought I'd Start a syns list to both find out, and share, the syn values of some traditional Afro-Caribbean ingredients.

Am relying on your help too...

Mama xx

I want to make ackee and saltfish but am not sure if the saltfish is synned (no nutritional info on pack), any ideas???

Attachments

• image-2222409343.jpg
    image-2222409343.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 215
  • image-3185739449.jpg
    image-3185739449.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 200
Smoked Cod is free so I cant see a reason why saltfish should be synd Ackee however is high in fat, and although its not saturated fat, but "healthy" fat it probably will have a syn value.

I was told that fried Plantain has a syn value IF you use the fruit when brown but you can boil it when still green and then fry it(with spray of course) to keep it syn free

Last edited:
FatTony said:
Smoked Cod is free so I cant see a reason why saltfish should be synd Ackee however is high in fat, and although its not saturated fat, but "healthy" fat it probably will have a syn value.

I was told that fried Plantain has a syn value IF you use the fruit when brown but you can boil it when still green and then fry it(with spray of course) to keep it syn free

Ooh...thank you FatTony!

Have not heard about the plantain before but it doesn't surprise me.

As for ackee, I think I've worked out that a drained tin is 12syns but wld love that to be confirmed...

I really hope ur right about saltfish as I love it.

FatTony said:

FatTony
Do you think that Salt Mackerel is free too???

Ive eaten cooked plantain quite a few times and always counted it as free... I know its high in calories but then so are potatoes etc.

Oh here we go, in the syns online it says:

Plantain, cooked with fat, 100g 7
Plantain, cooked without fat, 100g Free

it only used to have raw plantain on there I think.

ermintrude said:
Ive eaten cooked plantain quite a few times and always counted it as free... I know its high in calories but then so are potatoes etc.

Thank goodness!!!

I love plantain and wouldn't be happy synning it!

Thats interesting my C said its classed as cooked fruit if they are ripe(brown) but syn free and are treated like a veg when hard and green

FatTony said:
unsmoked is free, smoked one 1 syn per 28g on ee

That's rubbish! :(

I looked at the salt mackerel today and there wasn't any nutritional info on there either. I am absolutely craving it and don't know what to do....

:(

That's rubbish! :(

I looked at the salt mackerel today and there wasn't any nutritional info on there either. I am absolutely craving it and don't know what to do....

:(

This is what I could find

Nutrition Facts Mackerel
Salted:
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 100 g

Amount Per Serving
Calories 305 Calories from Fat 226

--------------------------------------
Raw:
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 100 g

Amount Per Serving
Calories 167, from Fat 84

----------------------------------------
Smoked:
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 100 g

Amount Per Serving
Calories 200 Calories from Fat 90

Calories in 100 g of Mackerel and Nutrition Facts

Calories in Smoked Mackerel and Nutrition Facts

Calories in 100 g of Salted Mackerel and Nutrition Facts

Don't know why smoking and Salting increases fat content

FatTony said:
This is what I could find

Nutrition Facts Mackerel
Salted:
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 100 g

Amount Per Serving
Calories 305 Calories from Fat 226

--------------------------------------
Raw:
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 100 g

Amount Per Serving
Calories 167, from Fat 84

----------------------------------------
Smoked:
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 100 g

Amount Per Serving
Calories 200 Calories from Fat 90

Calories in 100 g of Mackerel and Nutrition Facts

Calories in Smoked Mackerel and Nutrition Facts

Calories in 100 g of Salted Mackerel and Nutrition Facts

Don't know why smoking and Salting increases fat content

Wow, thanks FT, that's a really big jump isn't it! I guess salt can cause swelling but am still surprised that it is that much higher

Sigh... Any idea how many syns it is on EE or red???

Hi Mama

Picked up my yams yesterday and some fresh okra :)

As ever once I get let loose in a shop though I buy random stuff :eek: So what is this:

6481134395_85df043c1b_o.jpg

Is it something from the aubergine family, its got that kind of texture? And now Ive randomly bought it what the bladdy hell am I gonna do with it? :8855:

Also, what's the difference between yam and cassava? DO they taste very different?

Lol... you do make me chuckle ermintrude.

I think the aubergines are mainly used in Indian cooking, I have never used them before myself though. I think that they soak up flavour nicely but am not sure what they look like when ripe so double check.

Fill me in...

I have only had cassava when I've bought them frozen from asda. I think it's best fried (or roasted maybe?) but again not something in my rep. Yes, I think it has quite a plain taste like yam....

Ahh I just went rooting in the African shop at the bottom of the hill. I picked out what I thought was a yam then saw another thing that looked *even more* like a yam :D SO I had to ask the guy which was actually The Real Yam and felt a total twit :rolleyes: He said the other shinier yam-shaped-thing was cassava. Ive heard of them but I dont think Ive ever had one before.

I felt like a total moron til I got in and the b/f asked me what the new exciting elephant-shaped vegetable was. I asked him what he thought it might be, his answer "sweet potato?" :8855: So I felt relatively less dense after that :rolleyes:

You can buy cassava crisps, so I presume it is usually deep fried. My friend brought me over some from the Caymans a few years back, but I wasn't keen on them.

The other things are Asian eggplants :)

BritMumInCanada said:
You can buy cassava crisps, so I presume it is usually deep fried. My friend brought me over some from the Caymans a few years back, but I wasn't keen on them.

The other things are Asian eggplants :)

Hi britmum...welcome!

Ive had the crisps too and found them dry and kinda tasteless.

ermintrude said:
Ahh I just went rooting in the African shop at the bottom of the hill. I picked out what I thought was a yam then saw another thing that looked *even more* like a yam :D SO I had to ask the guy which was actually The Real Yam and felt a total twit :rolleyes: He said the other shinier yam-shaped-thing was cassava. Ive heard of them but I dont think Ive ever had one before.

I felt like a total moron til I got in and the b/f asked me what the new exciting elephant-shaped vegetable was. I asked him what he thought it might be, his answer "sweet potato?" :8855: So I felt relatively less dense after that :rolleyes:

LOL ermintrude!!!

Don't feel like a moron for being adventurous; it's inspiring!

When is saturday soup day? Is it actually gonna be on Saturday?? Lol

Last edited:
Back