After a few weeks attending group, is it worth going it alone? Opinions please!

FatGurlSlim

Hi,

Tomorrow will mark the four week anniversary of me starting slimming world. Found it fairly easy going so far, and am hoping for another pound or two lost in tomorrow's weigh in (7 pounds so far).

My local group is just a drop-in, so we go, pay and literally just get weighed. My bus fare plus group charges are nearly £8, which seems quite pricey.

Would you recommend finding another group that does image therapy, or just doing it by myself at home? I have the hang of it now. The only issue I have is that I like having access to the website - how long will I have access to the weight loss tools etc after I stop going to group?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. This is my first post, though I've been reading the forums since starting SW. It seems like a really friendly, encouraging, helpful place, and I'm looking forward to getting more involved.

I have been going to group 5 weeks and joined this site yesterday. I don't know about u but the support helps me. The group I go to we stay get awards for weight losses, and talk over our week. Good and Bad. The ppl at group give me ideas extra. Also it's having my loss/gain read out (not how much u weigh, just if u lost or not) that keeps me motivated. I don't want to and have put on.
The weeks I have not been able to stay to group and just got weighed and left, I missed the support, tips etc.
I wud go to a group that offers this. Goin alone is all well and gud, but will u start cutting corners, will u still know ur weigh in is accurate etc etc. I have lost 13.5lb in 5 weeks. And want to lose another 3stone if possible. It might be different if ur not looking to loose a lot.
Xx

Thanks so much for the reply - sounds like your weight loss is amazing so far! only 1/2 pound to go until one stone - can't wait to get there myself.

A proper group instead of just weigh -in definitely sounds better.

Hi,

My local group is just a drop-in, so we go, pay and literally just get weighed.

I didn't realise that SW ran groups where there was no Image Therapy!

Yeah - it's good for buying the books, cheaper mags, hifi bars etc, but you can be in and out in five minutes! I'm willing to spend money to get to goal sooner, but it seems crazy to pay someone £5 just to weigh you!

Also, I feel I might be missing out on 'image therapy.' Having only been to the drop in group, I don't really know what it is??!

I also think that it's more likely that you'll chat to people and make friends if there's a group as well as weigh-in?

lardylady said:

If no image therapy they should charge u less cause the consultant still gets her money for doing nothing.

Drop in still costs the same! Rubbish!

I can't believe you still have to pay £5! What a waste of money (in my eyes). If i was you i'd find a different one, even if it costs you the same to get there, it'll be worth the money.

I have never been to a slimming club before starting SW so didn't know what to expect and thought it would be embarrassing at first. Originally I stayed to group as I though I'm paying the money, and I want my money's worth! But now I find it's the highlight of my Tuesday! The friendship and support is great, advice on different foods, new food out and hearing others stories makes you feel less harsh on yourself. In my opinion my consultant isn't the best, but the support I get is actually from the other people is what I go for. Plus my scales aren't very reliable!

Thanks for all these answers - I think I'm going to follow the advice and find a group with image therapy.

Cheers!

No thats a new one on me too!Sounds a little odd to me to be honest. I thought the consultants had to do image therapy, this is mentioned in our book packs! Mmmmmm :hmm:

Last edited:
Definitely find a group with IT hun, I have been with SW for 18 months, originally had 20st to lose, I go to group religiously every week (have missed 2 meetings due to illness) and I wouldn't be without it, even after all this time I am still learning new things and I have made some really good freinds there too...Also I now take the money and my daughters do the weigh ins and run the shop, and I can tell you that should you stop going to group, you will lose your access to the online site after 4 weeks, unless you pay for the online service, in which case you may as well go to group ...:hug99: xxx

Hi Lily,

Thanks so much for the info re: online services. I definitely don't want to lose them, and doing it online seems so much more expensive than classes?

It's so useful getting insight into how it all works from people who have experience with it.

Congrats on the weight loss - very inspirational! When I get a bit down on the plan, it's great to look at people who've had success - makes it easier to stick to.

I have given in and finally joined the local group because sticking to the diet with no support or regular way ins for me resulted in yo-yo weight loss! I am hoping that it will give me the motivation to lose as well as joining minimins! Together we can fight the flab! hehe:grouphugg:

I'm full sure that if I didn't have group to attend every week, I'd have given up around Xmas. My losses haven't been so great since then, and I know in my heart and soul, instead of pushing through it as I am, I'd have given in and given up and gotten bigger and bigger.
I wouldn't find any attraction in going to a pay and weigh group...the Image Therapy is what keeps people like me on track.

Best of luck x x

I know I couldn't do it without going to group each week. It's an essential part of the whole thing for me. As good as the plan is .. I know I wouldn't last five minutes on my own. Plus my scales (although brand new and digital) seem to make it up as they go along. Weight is all over the place from one day to the next. I like being able to go to a place at the same time every week and getting weighed on their scales even if it does cost a fiver lol! I also like having access to the website.

I think you've made a good choice hun, I know after 40+ years of never being able to shift it and just getting bigger and bigger that SW and especially group have given me back my life...I too love the online site, so much info, couldn't live without it and I know for sure half of my sticking to plan is having to admo=it why I've gained ...I know that has always been (except on the odd unexplainable night) down to my choices and it's embaressing to admit you screwed up lol.
I won't say good luck hun I don't believe this has anything to do with luck, so I will say well done in advance for your journey and right choices :hug99: xxxx

My friend has just become a SW consultant and opens her class in 2 weeks. She is just back from the training at head office and told me you must always run a class with IT. If people cannot stay to IT you must encourage them to find another class that will suit their time better.

If there is no IT and people fail to lose weight, SW do not want them blaiming it on a diet they think does now work. Reputation is everything.

I have been going to group 5 weeks and joined this site yesterday. I don't know about u but the support helps me. The group I go to we stay get awards for weight losses, and talk over our week. Good and Bad. The ppl at group give me ideas extra. Also it's having my loss/gain read out (not how much u weigh, just if u lost or not) that keeps me motivated. I don't want to and have put on.
The weeks I have not been able to stay to group and just got weighed and left, I missed the support, tips etc.
I wud go to a group that offers this. Goin alone is all well and gud, but will u start cutting corners, will u still know ur weigh in is accurate etc etc. I have lost 13.5lb in 5 weeks. And want to lose another 3stone if possible. It might be different if ur not looking to loose a lot.
Xx

I agree 100% - there is no way I could do it alone and the support I get from my group is fantastic! x

Back