Alcohol..... hic!

ducatidiva

Silver Member
OK.... if I do occasionally fall off the old wagon whilst on LT, and have a glass of wine - how much is this going to affect me? I mean... I gather that anything other than black tea/coffee/leaf tea is going to make me hungry. How long am I likely to be hungry for though? And is it really going to slow down my weight loss a lot? :break_diet:

Its just that I would really love to have the occasional thing to look forward to lol! I feel that it might help me to stick to it for longer if I can allow myself just one glass of wine on a Saturday for example.

Anyone got any advice?

OK.... if I do occasionally fall off the old wagon whilst on LT, and have a glass of wine - how much is this going to affect me? I mean... I gather that anything other than black tea/coffee/leaf tea is going to make me hungry. How long am I likely to be hungry for though? And is it really going to slow down my weight loss a lot? :break_diet:

Its just that I would really love to have the occasional thing to look forward to lol! I feel that it might help me to stick to it for longer if I can allow myself just one glass of wine on a Saturday for example.

Anyone got any advice?

Hi Elle :D

For me personally, the alcohol thing is more about how it weakens my resolve to stick to a weight loss plan. I would tell myself that I would only have 1 glass of wine or 1 small vodka and tonic but once I'd had one I wanted another......then the munchies would start. Before I knew it I would have my hand in the crisp packet or stuffing peanuts down my face, thinking oh well I'll start again tommorow!!

I never thought of it in calorific value really, just that the effects of drinking would start the out of control eating for me.

Isis :D:D:D

Last edited:
Thanks Isis! You got a point there! ;)

Think I might have a long think about it, as I have no 'food' in my house at all (apart from cat food, oh yum lol) and I would do what I did when I was GI-ing - I just bought one of those mini-bottles of wine each week, and had it Friday or Saturday night. I found that pretty good actually, my weekly treat! I just dont want to go and totally wreck this LT thing, but I'd like to have something to help me not to feel totally deprived! :confused:

Hi...was talking to a friend of my sis last night who lost 4st in 15weeks on LT...(she looks so ab fab..) we were talking about wine and she said she "broke out" and had wine a couple of times (like a few glasses) and woke up with a terrible headache each time (took tab and was fine!!)....didnt loose as much weight overall that particular week but reached her goal quickly...l...so I imagine one little one here and there when you really need a boost...maybe as reward when you meet your goal.

Hi Bea :) thanks for that... I really dont want to screw things up but its reassuring to know that if I do need to have a glass I wont be totally ruining everything I have done lol!!!

Well I had a bit of a blow out at the weekend....and have to say my scales were a shock this morning, the drinking has caught up with me and have gained 4lbs so I will not be doing that again.

It all depends what is more im[portant to you getting the weight off or taking longer to get to your goal.

The problem with drinking every Saturday is that if it knocks you out of ketosis, it could take 3 days to get back in again. So that's 3 days of hunger pangs and cravings out of every 7. Also, you will only be in ketosis and burning fat for 4 days a week.

Oooh blimey.... thinking of it like that, absolutely NO WAY am I going to drink!! I was actually thinknig about wine last night and you know, the thought of it made me feel a bit queasey. Which I guess is just as well as I have 2 6-bottle kits brewing which will need to be bottled this week. So hopefully the smell will make me feel queasey too....

Hi,

I do occasionally have a drink but stick to vodka and diet coke as its low in carbs.

I've found that as long as i only have a couple it doesnt effect my weight too much but i only do it once or twice a month.

I did go overboard when I 1st started 1 night and had the hangover from hell, I spent the next day in bed until 5pm and only got up because i had to go to work.

Thats a good plan! I really cant afford to have a hangover as I work 7 days a week at the moment, cant have clients waiting too long for their corsets!

DO NOT DRINK ALCOHOL IF YOU ARE KETOTIC!
Alcohol is a powerful inhibitor of gluconeogenesis. In fact, it forces part of the gluconeogenic metabolic process into reverse. This means that if all the glucose in the blood is being derived from gluconeogenesis then the consumption of alcohol will inevitably cause the blood glucose level to fall. Worse still, the alcohol also stops ketone body production, thus leaving the brain entirely without fuel.
A person who is ketotic is 100% reliant on gluconeogenesis to maintain adequate levels of glucose in the blood. If, under these circumstances alcohol is taken, the person will become disorientated and might lose consciousness, not just from the alcohol, but from low blood sugar. Needless to say, this could be very dangerous, and even fatal.
Alcohol does not have these effects if the glycogen stores in the liver are normal. Under these circumstances the blood glucose level in the blood is maintained by the breakdown of liver glycogen, a process that is not influenced by alcohol. If a person becomes confused under these circumstances it is due simply to the pharmacological effects of the alcohol!

xxx

Ooh, that's scary.

It's my hen night on 12 July and I was just planning on eating normally from that morning. Will I need to come out of ketosis sooner?

I don't want to do myself any damage

Niki

Back