Alcohol is my downfall - please help me!

auntynet

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and new to SW - joined 9 days ago and managed to lose 2lb in my first week. (a little disappointed it wasn't more but hey, any loss is good, right? lol)

Whilst the title makes me sound like I have a serious problem with alcohol, I don't . . . . honest!!! ;)

Seriously though, I only drink on a saturday night and my tipple is vodka and coke (diet, of course) but my problem is that I just cant say no to another. I can easily and happily share a 70 cl bottle with my husband but the syn count is astronomical for such quantities. I did make allowances throughout the week and made sure I didn't go over the total 70 syns allowed for the whole week.

If I'm honest with myself then I know that my alcohol consumption is well over the recommended health guidelines even though I only do it one night per week - probably worse as its considered as "binge" drinking. I also realise that it could have been a major reason why I didn't lose more than 2lb in my first week.

I'd really appreciate some help with ideas on how to have less alcohol and not feel like I've "missed out" on my one boozy night.

My tipple is vodka too :) I give myself half a bottle a week to drink and knock it off my weekly syn total before I start. I drink over 3 nights and rarely finish it but I have started to alternate my drinks one V&C then one just coke. That said I've seen the post on the Sainsbury's 1 syn lager and I know I couldn't sink 35 cans in a weekend so I just might have a whirl at that instead of the voddie next weekend :p

Hi auntynet, I use all my syns on alcohol most weeks, the onlyl way I can do it is by using up to 5 syns per day and saving the rest for the weekend.

I know some people don't advise this but it hasn't effected my weight loss, as long as I stay within my 105 per week

:D

I do the same as ChicaConCurvas - I like wine (which is even worse!) so I would usually buy 2 bottles to have at the weekend, and deduct it from my weekly allowance of 105 syns, then distribute the remaining syns out for the rest of the week.

Even with this, I still have no problem staying within my syn allowance for the week.

I just found out through this forum about the 1 syn tins of lager. They are from Sainsbury's and they are called Crown and have 4% alcohol - might be worth having a look into? I got a few so will try them this weekend :D

Another one joins the club, I too love a drink of wine. Fortunately my WI is Thursday so I have my wine on Saturday night & whatever syns are left distribute until next WI.

But as you said your weekly vodka intake is more than the allowable 70 syns. Would it be within 105 syns? If not why not have smaller measures, you're still having a glass of V&C, it's a mind thing I do & find it works:D

Thanks for the replies peeps. My consultant advised me to have only 10 syns per day - why, I have no idea cos I have more than 2 stone to lose - so that's why I allocated 70 for the week. Will talk to her about it next WI. That lager sounds brill but I really don't enjoy lager any more, prob cos I drank so much of it when I was younger, lol. Might try it with a splash of diet lemonade in it though cos 1 syn is much better than 4 syns. maybe 4 lagers first then finish off with a few vodkas. My WI is on Fridays so if I indulge on Saturdays then I do have 5 days to try and make up for it.

My tipple is vodka too :) I give myself half a bottle a week to drink and knock it off my weekly syn total before I start. I drink over 3 nights and rarely finish it but I have started to alternate my drinks one V&C then one just coke. That said I've seen the post on the Sainsbury's 1 syn lager and I know I couldn't sink 35 cans in a weekend so I just might have a whirl at that instead of the voddie next weekend :p

I take it you mean a small bottle when you say half???????? if so how many syns do u allocate for it, if your taking it off your weekly syns out of interest:D

Please can someone point me in the right direction for the 1 syn lager thread, I've done a search but can't find it! Thaaaanks x

i too have this problem with alcohol. Me and my fiance like a few drinks on a saturday night, and i usually start with all the best intentions, but being a lightweight i get a tipsy after 2 glasses of wine and then get the whole 'sod it' attitude and stop counting or even caring what syns im using. Luckily i WI on a fri morning so have a good few days to recoup, although i know what im doing isnt very good for me!

I take it you mean a small bottle when you say half???????? if so how many syns do u allocate for it, if your taking it off your weekly syns out of interest:D

Yes it's a 35ml bottle and I allow 40 syns for it :) I rarely finish it nowadays but I still have ample syns left for the week - fortunately I'm not a chocolate eater really so don't tend to use that many :p

Please can someone point me in the right direction for the 1 syn lager thread, I've done a search but can't find it! Thaaaanks x

http://www.minimins.com/syn-values/197186-1-syn-lager.html

I can seriously sympathise - I could probably drink most days given half the chance. At the weekends I do like a few glasses of wine or more often than not start with a cocktail or G&T then open a bottle or two of red wine to share with my hubby. This past week I made a pact with myself not to have any alcohol for March. However Saturday evening came and we were having a lovely fish pie (diet one of course) and my husband had opened a lovely bottle of white wine and I caved. I only had a glass and a half rather than a half bottle. I really enjoyed it but decided that was it.
I had been pretty sinless all week so I kinda thought I could have a little splurge. It has helped that I asked my hubby to not ask me if I'd like a drink when he is having one and I must admit it's been OK as the will power so far is working well.
Could you do as Chica and Holidays suggest and dilute further or alternate with just coca cola?
It's hard when you love a drink - I know - but could you ask your hubby to not have any either? Would make it easier for you.
R x

I am sooooo annoyed!!! lol. We have most of the major supermarkets in our town, and all within a 5 min drive from home - Morrisons, Asda, Tesco, Netto, Aldi and we have 3 small Sainsbury Locals in villages outside of town. Do any of them stock it??? NO!!! none of the locals do. Nearest stockist is about 11 miles away. Much as I'd like to go and get some, I don't reckon I can justify driving all that way just to get a few tinnies. lol. OH well, you win some, you lose some. :sigh:

Spoke to my C in class today and she confirmed that SW Head Office have heard the rumours about this lager so they looked into it and have found out that it is DEFINITELY NOT only 1 syn per can. Its 27 calories per 100 ml so it works out at around 117 calories per can. Waaaaaaay more than 1 syn :( :break_diet:

Oh well - it was a nice thought while it lasted. :tear_drop:

In answer to the OP, not the answer you want to hear, but to give yourself a chance, i'd either go teetotal (I have) or stick to two measures of vodka per day (9 or 10 syns I think) but that is your allowance gone.

You can have a max of 10 syns per day and not meant to save them up and have loads on a weekend, for example. (controversial, I know but I presume SW wish to discourage binge-drinking or binge-eating);)

I know you're right, Maximus :sigh: but my self-discipline is being stretched to its limits with controlling my desire to eat cheese and chocolate in the quantities that I used to on a daily basis. :D I figure that as I only abuse alcohol one night per week then it would be healthier for me to tackle my food intake first whilst still enjoying my weekend tipple. In my defence, I have been meticulous in measuring out my drinks and adding up all my syns - total of 40 last saturday which included some food during the day which at the time I didn't know was synfull (only been doing SW for 2 wks). I've kept a food diary and I've discussed this with my C today and whilst she cant condone binge drinking, she does give me credit for my self discipline for the rest of the week by only having healthy syns. And I did get SOTW this week.

As for going teetotal - I just don't want to, I really enjoy having a few drinks and its the one night of the week that I sit down with my husband and we have the house to ourselves for some "us time". He's been very supportive with my quest to deal with my weight problem so I figure while ever I'm losing weight, I'll carry on but when the time comes when its obvious that I need to rethink, then I will. But until that time comes, I'll be good Sunday to Friday but we all need our treats now and again :D :party0036:

Maximus is right - I've been allowed 10 syns per day - its not set in stone that everyone automatically has 15 per day. He should know - he's been doing SW very successfully for long enough to have learned a thing or two. ;)

I have discussed my vodka syns with my consultant and she reckons while ever I'm losing weight, then I can manage my syns as I see fit and if/when the weight stops coming off then I'll have to re-think my priorities. My consultant was very adamant though that she DOES NOT CONDONE BINGE DRINKING which is basically what I am doing by saving them all up for 1 night per week. :eek:

According to my book, a 35ml measure of vodka is 4 syns.

Back