alcohol !!

rose1987

reaching my goal
Hi all , needs some advice please .
Ive been asked to go to a club opening tomoz with a close relative the problem is im only on day 5 and dont want to not lose weight . I was wondering if any one had alcohol in there 1st week and still lost weight ?

Its not your weight loss you need to worry about - its really dangerous to drink on a VLCD. You just cant do it.

If you MUST drink you need to eat proper carbs etc earlier in the day and make sure theres no way youre in ketosis.

Youre only on day 5... dont give in to alcohol and ruin ketosis this early

What starlight said is true , however I handle drinking on an empty stomach quite well ! Lol ! I would advise having a meal and personally wouldn't necessary make it so I come out of ketosis! But the alcohol will prob kick you out anyway! X

(25.08.08-18 stone 5) (24.08.11-12 stone 10) 79lbs lost 25lbs to go!!

Sorry but that might work for you but its incredibly dangerous, have you read the thread about alcohol and ketosis. Its not drinking on an empty stomach thats the problem its drinking in ketosis. People have ended up in hospital, have had black outs and have been really really ill.

Alcohol wont necessarily knock you out of ketosis either. If youre going to drink you MUST come out of ketosis. Its just not worth the risk at all.

Please dont chance it and please dont encourage other people to - it really is risking peoples health

Starlight said:
Please dont chance it and please dont encourage other people to - it really is risking peoples health

I wasn't encouraging at all just saying I have done it

Certainly many people suggest that it is dangerous to drink while in ketosis, so probably not worth it. I have done so, and although no black outs the alcohol has hit me very quickly and I would not want to be drinking straight from ketosis while out of the house. As Starlight says best advice is either leave alcohol alone or make sure you are not in ketosis when you start. I believe alcohol will kick you out of ketosis - it is so carb rich, but that is not going to be much consolation if you are lying passed out lol. Whatever you decide have a great time!

Starlight said:
You said youd advise having a meal but wouldnt necessarily come out of ketosis.

at the risk of sounding rude... thats really bad advice

I said personally wouldn't , I'm not talking go out and have a full blown binge lol , I just assumed OP meant a couple of drinks.
My CDC said alcohol would kick you out of ketosis so just going on what she said

This is the sciencey bit.....

Alcohol is a powerful inhibitor of gluconeogenesis. In fact, it forces part of the gluconeogenic metabolic process into reverse. This means that if all the glucose in the blood is being derived from gluconeogenesis then the consumption of alcohol will inevitably cause the blood glucose level to fall. Worse still, the alcohol also stops ketone body production, thus leaving the brain entirely without fuel.
A person who is ketotic is 100% reliant on gluconeogenesis to maintain adequate levels of glucose in the blood. If, under these circumstances alcohol is taken, the person will become disorientated and might lose consciousness, not just from the alcohol, but from low blood sugar. Needless to say, this could be very dangerous, and even fatal.
Alcohol does not have these effects if the glycogen stores in the liver are normal. Under these circumstances the blood glucose level in the blood is maintained by the breakdown of liver glycogen, a process that is not influenced by alcohol. If a person becomes confused under these circumstances it is due simply to the pharmacological effects of the alcohol!

Basically alcohol halts the ketosis process, so if the only way we are getting fuel for our body is through ketosis (which if you are in ketosis, is almost certainly the case). Then drinking MAY cause your body to be starved of fuel (that includes your brain, kidneys, liver etc).

I am sure there are plenty of people who have drunk alcohol while in ketosis and I'm sure there are many that have been fine. However, that doesn't change the science behind it and it's better to be informed before you make your own descision on what to do.

There are plenty of people who use recreational drugs on a regular basis even though we all know it's bad for you.

If you are going to drink while in ketosis, at least make sure you let the people you are with know that is you get sick, to let the docs/ambulance etc know what diet you are on.

Don't do this, and get years down the track to find out your kidneys are damaged and maybe even starting to fail. There's a reason why Exante press on the importance of drinking at least 2 litres a day! Your kidneys need oodles of water to process the protein in this diet. (because its powder, and immediately absorbed) Alcohol in its nature will dehydrate your body and negate all the good intentions with the water drinking. Taking the piss out of this diet even short term WILL cause damage to your body.

The only way you can safely do this is by coming out of keto. You don't have to consume monsterous calories to do so, and i want to stress that it is NOT the ketosis that is getting rid of the weight, its the calorie deficit.

Ketosis is merely the process of the body breakdown it's own fat stores for energy, caused by calorie deficit. Right?

Ketosis is merely the process of the body breakdown it's own fat stores for energy, caused by calorie deficit. Right?

Yep, as I understand it when we eat a carb rich diet we build up a store of glycogen and our body and brain use this for fuel. When we restrict carbs the glycogen store is depleted and then our body uses fat for fuel. As part of this process ketones are produced which the brain uses for fuel. The ketones do not help us lose weight - they are just a by product of our fat stores being metabolised.

looki at the big picture hun your only 5 days in can you not go and have a few sparkling waters or something the others have stressed how dangerous it can be to drink while in ketosis have a look at the sticky and if you really want to go and have a few have a decent meal with carbs have your night out and back on track next day just dont put yourself in danger for a night out x

I would also like to add, that a high carb meal does not knock some people out of Ketosis! It takes me 3 days to get back out of it, so a high carb meal, is not always enough!

If you are only on day 5, let me tell you, once you stop this diet for the first time, it is hard and sometimes impossible to get back into it.....ever!

I agree with Divster, it is nearly impossible to properly get into it again a 2nd, 3rd or even 10th time round.... XD

It just frightens me that I see people advocating alcohol as ok (or "its okay for me, then it must be fine" when its clearly not) or asking if its okay to reduce how many packs they have a day and other silly nonsense. Your organs won't tell you that you've damaged them until its WAY too late.

It just frightens me that I see people advocating alcohol as ok (or "its okay for me, then it must be fine" when its clearly not) or asking if its okay to reduce how many packs they have a day and other silly nonsense. .

it really concerns me that the fact Exante doesnt have councellors/classes or an official forum, Minimins is where most people come for real advice and take what theyre told at face value. Lets face it although we can email Exante, who does as a rule, its not like CD where you can double check with your councellor.

If people chose to ignore guidelines AFTER theyre armed with all the correct info thats their choice and their health theyre gambling with but it really worries me too when people pass on their own bad choices to other people as 'ok'

Back